LA Mayoral Candidate has 2 Guns Stolen from Home

https://californiaglobe.com/articles/gu ... bass-home/
According to Bass and the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD), the Congresswoman returned to her Baldwin Vista home late Friday night to discover that it had been broken into and burglarized. The LAPD were quickly called to the scene, where it was found that the only things missing were two firearms that had been taken from inside a lockbox. While not immediately reported, Bass announced the robbery the next day.

“Last night, I came home and discovered that my house had been broken into and burglarized. LAPD was called, and I appreciate their assistance,” said Bass on Saturday. “At this time, it appears that only two firearms, despite being safely and securely stored, were stolen. Cash, electronics and other valuables were not. It’s unnerving and, unfortunately, it’s something that far too many Angelenos have faced.”
Right now she is the candidate I will vote for. Although she certainly does push the Democrat view on guns. :thumbdown:

Not surprised she is a gun owner herself. Of course she claims the guns were "properly stored". Out of 3 or 4 articles I read this is the only one that described the method of storage, a lockbox.

So I got questions!

Was this a "CA Approved Lockbox" off the list? (Ya, CA has a list :roll: ) If not, how could it be "properly stored"?

Did they open the lockbox or steal it too? What lockbox, brand & model, was it?

Info on the guns, cuz, this IS a gun board.

Generally, I find it odd that they were the only things stolen. I've seen some claims it's a political stunt. It's not. Someone will need a lot more evidence to convince me it is.

Re: LA Mayoral Candidate has 2 Guns Stolen from Home

Bass first learned how to handle a weapon in Los Angeles in the late 1970s when she was a California organizer for the Venceremos Brigade, a group founded by young Americans to show solidarity with the Cuban revolution, The Times reported in 1983. She said an LAPD officer taught her. The officer “encouraged many different folks who had leadership responsibilities in the L.A. progressive community to learn how to use weapons,” she told the newspaper.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -candidate

It conveniently draws attention away from her involvement in the federal corruption investigation of the University of Southern California giving out full tuition scholarships to politicians, a form of bribery. She got a full scholarship valued at approximately $100,000.
https://archive.ph/r8tpu#selection-1707.1-1707.90
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I have an old Treadlok floor safe which has been with me for five or so moves, always bolted to wall and floor. During last move, I attempted to pull the safe from the wall just to prove to myself how secure the installation was. In just a few minuets, I was somberly disappointed. The lag bolts pulled right out of the 2x4's with help from a pry bar, which I conveniently made available to any would be thief. Super glue might have done as well. Since I built the place we're in now, I had access to the wall innards and built an attachment plate which hopefully will slow down a less than fully committed robber.
This isn't going well, is it?

tonguengroover wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:32 am Do you guys seal the holes up with fireproof caulk to prevent fire from getting inside?
Its amazing how these battery pow e red saws/sawzalls allow quick removal of sheetrock and studs.
Nah. The safe is not necessarily fire proof. Even the fire proof ones allow heat to hurt the guns. After the 2018 Camp Fire up here I met dozens of gun owners whose guns became untempered. If there's a fire--god forbid--I'll just grab my wife and guitar.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:41 am
tonguengroover wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:32 am Do you guys seal the holes up with fireproof caulk to prevent fire from getting inside?
Its amazing how these battery pow e red saws/sawzalls allow quick removal of sheetrock and studs.
Nah. The safe is not necessarily fire proof. Even the fire proof ones allow heat to hurt the guns. After the 2018 Camp Fire up here I met dozens of gun owners whose guns became untempered. If there's a fire--god forbid--I'll just grab my wife and guitar.

CDFingers
Depends if its just a house fire and not a forest fire and how long it takes the fire dept to get there.
A tube of fireproof caulk is like 7 bucks.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Intumescent sealants, foams and coatings are used to slow down the propagation of smoke and flame from room to room and floor to floor, giving occupants a little more time to get the heck out. These are the tube and spray foam products usually orange so that an inspector can verify it. Not really for keeping valuables safe from fires. They are often code required to fill gaps and penetrations which pass electrical, plumbing, HVAC. Their purpose is life saving, not property saving.

Commercial and industrial buildings will have what is called a cementitious coating. Like it sounds, a type of cement applied to surfaces to make them less vulnerable to high heat. Things you would like to keep working during a fire like sprinkler supply lines.

Some safes are supposed to be resistant to fire but I doubt that a non rated one could be made so with the stuff you get in a can.

A small lock box like this might have served better. Heavy steel and drilled to be bolted to something heavier, like the house. Still, it says something good inside. How bad do you want it?
IMG_2333.JPG
IMG_2334.JPG
This isn't going well, is it?

Well my Liberty safe has no holes in the back that would allow bolting to a wall, just the bottom which is covered. If you cut holes in your safe your voiding the warranty.
I used fireplace caulk around the holes, yes to slow any potential heat. It's bolted to concrete which has an engineered wood floor glued to it.
Rated 75 minutes @ 1200 degrees and has 10 bars. The door opens to a wall to prevent anyone from attacking it at the opening.. I doubt anyone can pry this thing open. I'm more worried about fires.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

FlyGuy wrote:
I thought those were only used to steal Catalytic Converters.
Funny enough, I had my catalytic converter stolen off my Truck in 2008 when I was taking night grad school courses. I had a lengthy discussion with the campus police chief about the need for replacement lights (I counted about 2/3 of them were out) in all the outlying parking lots. It just invited crime, and of course at that time you weren’t even allowed to store your concealed firearm in your car on campus. (You can now) however, given those circumstances that might be a place I would not, or definitely only something inexpensive.

As far as safes go, I have a couple, but one isn’t even fire-rated at all - so I have a firearm specific insurance policy. I highly recommend getting one in addition to a safe. I only view the safes as a way to prevent Unauthorized access - not as a proof to hardened criminal getting access. They can crack them fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’d probably want some of the type material used in like turbo blankets. It keeps heat in, it’ll keep it out as well. Then line with gypsum board, two to three layers 5/8” fire rated at minimum. Do seal gaps with intumescent foam and caulk..

Or make one lined with concrete.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.