Re: Texas couple finds M16s in storage cases purchased from govt surplus site

It will be interesting to see how this plays out legally. So legally the couple owns them because they paid money for them. But they can't own them because they don't have stamps for them. So the government will confiscate them.
But the government doesn't technically own them. So the couple sues the gov/ATF. In retaliation the ATF arrests them and gives them a charge for each gun..........
I say let the ATF buy them from the couple at fair market value!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:07 am It will be interesting to see how this plays out legally. So legally the couple owns them because they paid money for them. But they can't own them because they don't have stamps for them. So the government will confiscate them.

But the government doesn't technically own them. So the couple sues the gov/ATF. In retaliation the ATF arrests them and gives them a charge for each gun..........

I too hope this turns out well, but I fear it will end up like the guy who buys a car in good faith and soon discovers that the car was stolen and the title documents forged. It's "sorry sucker" unless he can successfully sue (in civil court) the seller, but in the end it turns out the seller is broke.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hiker wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:07 am It will be interesting to see how this plays out legally. So legally the couple owns them because they paid money for them. But they can't own them because they don't have stamps for them. So the government will confiscate them.
They bought the containers, not the guns. The containers can be returned once emptied. And hopefully will be. And it isn't clear how many containers actually contained guns.

I think a dozen rifles is what I heard. Containers and whatever’s in them should belong to the couple. Likely someone was told to empty the containers for sale. Someone missed one or two. I would have contacted a lawyer first to check if I had legal right to apply for tax stamps. LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

tonguengroover wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 am ^^^^^^ LOL Shit like that never happens to me. Would I give them back? NOOOOO! They bought them fair and square.
I hear you. They say I may already have won. Never works out that way. Maybe maga folks--people say that to me all the time.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack