Re: 2022 Midterm Elections

The city I live in is a strong Blue Zone in a red state. I get the luxury of the most wonderful Liberal gun laws in the USA. LOL WOW is that a misnomer or what, liberal gun laws meaning without restriction.
Course the city keeps trying to enforce stricter gun laws but the state shoots them down. I also live in the county which is also liberal and has no want to write any gun laws at all.
I doubt you could find a better place to live if you like guns. Cept the state is biased against women and is anti-abortion. Excellent voter registration and mail in ballots as well.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Texas only has about six blue cities of consequence (large) in a frigging sea of red. We're a state of suck only second to Florida in idiocracy - but SATX blueness makes it semi bearable - barely !! Nothing would please me more than a total rout and repudiation of the wingers in November. If not, we are so screwed.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:43 pm Texas only has about six blue cities of consequence (large) in a frigging sea of red. We're a state of suck only second to Florida in idiocracy - but SATX blueness makes it semi bearable - barely !! Nothing would please me more than a total rout and repudiation of the wingers in November. If not, we are so screwed.
We'll get the results sometime after November 8th, remember the 2020 election took a long time to decide because of close races. Trump's court challenges were inconsequential. I strongly believe in polling, but like Nate Cohen I'm not convinced that pollsters have made the necessary corrections since 2016 and 2020 and are still oversampling potential Democratic voters and missing the "shy Independents" and the "shy Republicans". 2018 also a midterm election, was easier to forecast because Trump was so unpopular and Republicans held the trifecta, this midterm Democrats hold the trifecta and any questions about polling even affect Biden's approval ratings.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Koch Network Showers Fascist Election Deniers With Campaign Cash Ahead of Midterms

Campaign finance data compiled by the watchdog OpenSecrets shows that the powerful and deep-pocketed Koch network has spent more than $1 million supporting Republican congressional candidates who attempted to overturn the 2020 presidential election, adding to the tens of millions that corporate PACs have funneled to election deniers since the January 6 attack.

Citing OpenSecrets figures, The Guardian reported Friday that Koch Industries—an oil and gas giant controlled by billionaire Charles Koch—"boasts a corporate PAC that has donated $607,000 to the campaigns or leadership PACs of 52 election deniers since January 2021, making Koch's PAC the top corporate funder of members who opposed the election results."

"Separately," the newspaper added, "Americans for Prosperity Action, to which Koch has donated $6 million, has spent almost $20 million on ads and other communications, much of which has gone to support some election deniers running for the Senate and House, plus Senate candidates who tried to help Trump reverse the 2020 election results or who have raised doubts about its outcome."

OpenSecrets data shows that the Koch Industries PAC has donated $215,000 to Rep. Steve Scalise's (R-La.) campaign committee this election cycle. Scalise was one of 147 GOP members of Congress who voted against certifying the 2020 presidential election results just hours after a mob of Trump supporters stormed and ransacked the U.S. Capitol.
Full story here:https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/ ... d-midterms

In my dreams I would love to see corporations forbidden from giving any contributions to political parties or candidates. In the dream world we would only allow voters to contribute to candidates and campaign elections.

One of the worst legal mistakes made, in the 1880s, was when a lawyer in a California case lied and created the corporations are people legal theory upheld by the courts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... er/554852/
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Leland Stanford was also governor of California. He founded Stanford University in memory of his only child, a son who died age 15 of typhoid. The university's official name is the Leland Stanford, Junior University.

Justice Stephen J Field of CA is an interesting figure, he was liberal to moderate when first appointed to SCOTUS, but became more and more conservative in the 34 years he served on the court.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Gavin Newsom has been in Texas.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom called for an overhaul of Democrats’ political strategy on Saturday, saying the party is “getting crushed” by Republicans in part because they are too timid, often forced to play defense while Republicans “dominate with illusion.” Speaking at the Texas Tribune Festival in Austin, Texas — the territory of Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, one of Newsom’s chief political foils — Newsom was careful to praise current party leaders like President Joe Biden and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

But he said that mantras that may have worked for the party in the past — like Michele Obama’s famous quip “when they go low, we go high,” — simply don’t work today because “that’s not the moment we’re living in right now.” “These guys are ruthless on the other side,” Newsom said. “Where are we? Where are we organizing, bottom up, a compelling alternative narrative? Where are we going on the offense every single day? They’re winning right now.”
Newsom’s actions have increased speculation he might be running for president, an idea he has repeatedly denied — doing so again on Saturday in Texas. Asked if he was considering running for president in 2024 or 2028, Newsom said: “No, not happening.”

“I cannot say it enough,” he said. “I never trust politicians, so I get why you keep asking.”
https://apnews.com/article/elections-te ... eb12830b6b

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

One slimy politician doesn't trust other slimy politicians. :lol:

Democrats are pushing a slogan in South Florida, "A future without violence", code for gun violence. The Gifford's Center is spending money on anti-gun candidates in FL.
Few places disappointed Democrats in 2020 as deeply as South Florida. A shift among Latinos toward the GOP contributed to several unexpected losses in House races and helped then-President Donald Trump carry Florida by more than 3 percentage points. Democrats are campaigning differently this year as they aim to connect the party’s priorities to the personal experiences of a group that often feels overlooked in national politics.
For some Cubans, though, gun control is off the table. Isabel Caballero, a 96-year-old Cuban woman, said she would not support any gun restrictions. In the years after Fidel Castro and his rebels toppled dictator Fulgencio Batista in 1959, Cubans were encouraged to register weapons and later authorities used a list to go door-to-door encouraging people to turn over the firearms.

“‘Guns, What for?’ That’s what he used to say. People turned them over, and then the only people who had guns were them,” Caballero said of Castro and his allies. “Lesson? Do not let them go.”
https://apnews.com/article/gun-violence ... f880e984f5

Slimy maybe to some but truth is he is right. Libs are horrible at playing tough. I'd call it wimpy at most.
Look at Biden, he does one televised appearance to smack down the bullshit on the right with no follow through. Like once since he was elected.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Dems get things done.
The U.S. Transportation Department on Tuesday said it approved electric vehicle charging station plans for all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico covering roughly 75,000 miles of highways.

Earlier this year, the Biden administration allocated $5 billion to states to fund EV chargers over five years along interstate highways as part of the bipartisan infrastructure package. Under the plan, entitled the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Formula Program, states provided their EV infrastructure deployment proposals to the Joint Office of Energy and Transportation.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/27/ev-char ... plans.html

They should toot their horns.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Let's say Biden gets things done and he has legislation he can run on in 2024, if he runs. We'll have to see how his legislative wins effect the midterm elections. There probably hasn't been a Democratic president in the WH since LBJ who understood how to get things done in the legislative branch like Biden. Carter had been governor of GA, Clinton had been governor of AR, Obama had been a US senator from IL for a short period of time, Truman was VP and senator from Missouri, but it was FDR's administration.

Even with a 50/50 senate split, Biden knows all the key players and can work across the aisle, which isn't something other Democrats or Republicans can do. Presidents can yell and beat the drums about different issues, but if they can't get legislation passed they are worthless.

Nate Silver's column is just another word of caution as voting starts. The concern always is that people look only at polls and say to themselves that so and so is going to win, so I don't need to vote. A big lesson from the last 15 years is that elections can be very close and that political polling can be wrong.

highdesert wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:19 am Nate Silver's column is just another word of caution as voting starts. The concern always is that people look only at polls and say to themselves that so and so is going to win, so I don't need to vote. A big lesson from the last 15 years is that elections can be very close and that political polling can be wrong.

Pollsters fear they’re blowing it again in 2022
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/2 ... 4-00058506

Another cautionary article, but we won't know for certain until the post-mortem is done after the 2022 election if pollsters got it right or wrong.

Arizona GOP nominee caught red-handed using footage of Russian troops marching in a victory parade in her campaign ad

Arizona Republican gubernatorial nominee Kari Lake used footage of Russian troops marching in a “victory parade” in her latest political ad, according to Heartland Signal/WCPT 820AM in Chicago.

The ad opens showing Lake and says she will “stand with Arizona’s border sheriffs,” a plea to anti-immigration voters. It immediately cuts to footage of marching troops. Those troops are Russian soldiers, not Arizona National Guardsmen.
The article goes on to point out many times the Repugs have used stock footage from Russia.
For reasons unknown the accidental usage of Russian imagery appears to have only occurred in ads by Republicans and only Russian footage. Footage from any other country, for instance, Canada, Australia, or Mexico, does not appear to have ever mistakenly been used.
https://www.rawstory.com/arizona-gop-no ... mpaign-ad/

Maybe they use the Russian footage, so they don't pay for royalties on their use of the footage or if they do then the price is cheap.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Rolandson hasn't been around for a while, he's said he supports Betsy Johnson in the Oregon governors race. 538 has an article on the race and noted that Johnson has out raised her two opponents. A rebellion against the domination by Portland and Salem, we'll know in 29 days.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... -40-years/

Polling
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... 22/oregon/

Got my general election ballot in the mail on Saturday October 8th, completed it and put it in the County Registrar of Voters drop box in town on October 10th. I'll check next week to verify they received it and counted it. The whole "jungle primary" in CA allows all parties to participate in the primary election, but in the general election only the top two candidates by votes are on the general election ballot. So the general election ballot is basically Democrats and Republicans and non-partisan offices, since it's top two sometimes we've had two Democrats on the November ballot. CA really hates third parties. The only choice is vote for the two political parties or leave some offices blank.

Republican culture wars aren’t about fetal life or family values, but the defense of patriarchy and theocracy.

But the more interesting question is why Republicans have sunk to this amoral nadir. The answers are complex: the radicalization of the GOP base and its aspiring politicians by Fox News and right-wing social media; generalized status anxiety among groups aligned with the Republicans; unaccountable and secretive far-right donors untethered to social opprobrium; and worldwide ethnonationalist, theocratic movements rowing in the same direction.

Republicans have decided that short-term power is more important than long-term integrity.
--snrp--
Their desperation is loathsome but understandable. The long-term prognosis for today’s GOP coalition is bleak. The oldest Millennials are over 40 and supported Biden by a whopping 20 points. Republicans had hoped that Gen Z might prove more fertile ground, but voters 26 and under backed Biden by a similar margin. But it gets worse for conservatives: Most Millennials and Gen Zers backed Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren over Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden in the 2016 and 2020 Democratic primaries. Biden’s polling weaknesses are driven mainly by young voters annoyed that he isn’t sufficiently progressive, although student loan debt relief and cannabis reform may help. The idea that voters become conservative with age is a myth. Millennials who have spent 20 years voting on the left side of Democratic primaries aren’t about to shift hard right.
https://washingtonmonthly.com/2022/10/1 ... desperate/

I predict a D House and a D Senate.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CD I would hope that happens , but I’m not betting on it to happen as there is too many MAGA idiots along with those following the other Rightwing mantras and will vote. Also the State legislatures with the Federal courts have Gerrymander the political districts to favor the Rightwing.