Hello from Chicagoland! (West Burbs)

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been around firearms for a long time, grew up hunting and trapping in my home state of Minnesota. Getting back into firearms and target shooting after about 10 years. I'm an avid persuer of pistol marksmanship and long range rifle (irons). It's a bit difficult to have the second one here due to lack of ranges, but hey, a man can dream right?

Anyways, I digress, I'm glad that I finally found a spot where a person on the "Left" can see a more rational discussion about firearms (positives and negatives).

I'm glad to be here and I'm not sure how active the forum is around me but it'd be fun to go to meetups and or go shooting with some people around the area.

Re: Hello from Chicagoland! (West Burbs)

wings wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:50 pm o/

Not as active as this time last year, or two years ago. A few regulars still. Used to be we would talk a lot more about new purchases and range experiences, but those threads have dried up lately. Can't imagine why.

Whatcha shoot? There's a whole thread of pictures getting awful lonely these days.
Yeah it's tough for the people on the Left or rather "Left Leaning" these days. At my local indoor range I just practice simple drills and fundamentals with a PCC (most of the time my sub2k) and my G17 that's been modded a fair bit. I really miss shooting long range rifle though. Once I find a range or club that's not an arm and a d*ck to join I hope to get back into it. I long for the days when my local county range (in Minnesota) had yearly dues less than $100 for Trap, Rifle, and Pistol ranges combined.

Re: Hello from Chicagoland! (West Burbs)

Jemma435 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:53 am Yeah it's tough for the people on the Left or rather "Left Leaning" these days. At my local indoor range I just practice simple drills and fundamentals with a PCC (most of the time my sub2k) and my G17 that's been modded a fair bit. I really miss shooting long range rifle though. Once I find a range or club that's not an arm and a d*ck to join I hope to get back into it. I long for the days when my local county range (in Minnesota) had yearly dues less than $100 for Trap, Rifle, and Pistol ranges combined.
Welcome.

I went through a somewhat similar experience last year, though in NYS. It took a bit of searching, a few awkward conversations, and so forth, but I eventually found a few places in my area that are welcoming (or at least not overtly political). Ironically I live within a quarter mile of a smallish club with a rifle/pistol bays and clays. But they are quite far gone, using the NRA as a gate keeping measure and seemingly about 1 step away from starting a militia. After some work, I found a few places where I’m comfortable.

Try talking to people, look at requirements for joining, and invest some time in the search by visiting a few places. Some things you just can’t get from a conversation and need to see. For instance, seeing gay pride stickers on a car consistently in the parking lot told me quite a bit about one place and made me feel much more at ease.

I also figured out that I have a much lower tolerance for general stupidity with firearms than I remembered. That sort of behavior is also much easier to see in person, as people tend not to say, “yeah we’re a bunch of dumbasses,” if you just ask over the phone.

Anyhow, welcome.

Quo