"How Do We Get Rid of Our Teenage Daughter’s Gun Safe?"

This dumbassedness speaks for itself.
Our 15-year-old daughter is very headstrong. She’s never been in real trouble, but she bristles against rules and authority: curfews, homework, appropriate clothing — you name it! Recently, she exploded when her younger brothers discovered her journal in the family room. Now, she keeps it locked in a heavy black box she found at a secondhand store. The problem: The black box turns out to be a gun safe! (A friend of my husband told us.) We’re not worried that she has a gun; she helped organize a school rally to tighten our state’s gun laws. But she refuses to give up the safe, and we don’t want it in our house. Help!
Here is the response by Philip Galanes of the NYT --
Bear with me now: Stop tugging on that rope! Acknowledge your daughter’s valid distress and ask her to help you solve your problem with the gun safe in light of your shared philosophy about guns. Let her stash the diary elsewhere while you remove the safe, then negotiate a security system for her that wasn’t built for weapons.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/07/styl ... ivacy.html

Re: "How Do We Get Rid of Our Teenage Daughter’s Gun Safe?"

featureless wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:29 pm
Bisbee wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:03 pm People are slowly devolving into insanity. Names and identity are more important than physical reality.
+1. World's gone bonkers.
The US and a few other countries have gone bonkers. The rest of the world is fine.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:05 pm
Bisbee wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:03 pm People are slowly devolving into insanity. Names and identity are more important than physical reality.
The US and a few other countries have gone bonkers. The rest of the world is fine.
I thought we settled this in another thread. I'm a US citizen. I'm fabulous. The US is the world. ;)

featureless wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:09 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:05 pm
I thought we settled this in another thread. I'm a US citizen. I'm fabulous. The US is the world. ;)
Just remember whatever I say, y’all are still my crew! :love: :love: :love:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

wings wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:52 am
That's what the other guys say about pronouns.
Bravo! Touché... very astute (as usual, Wings)

Indeed, I believe that same sentiment stands. I admit to being a Taoist over 50 and don’t feel a strong need to identify myself as “something” (really anything) anymore. But I understand that young’uns naturally live to grow their fortunes, experiences, stuff, and largely define themselves based on such accretions (the ego is strong with young people). Still my criticism of novel pronouns fundamentally differ from those who strongly feel that “Ghad made man,” and therefore toilets, or marriage, or etc... Those people are just nutz.

Overly identifying with thoughts or ideas beyond their usefulness is the chimera of our times. Be it your political ideas, your religion, your pronoun, or the devil du jour, they all light up the similar parts of our brain. (Hint, it largely isn’t the pre-frontal cortex).
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi