Re: Let's see and talk revolvers.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:01 am
Fivex475 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:40 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm Really? You have a 454 Casull revolver?
How lucky can a guy be to get a name like Dick Casull , I mean jeepers?
No, John Linebaugh , I prefer the 475 Linebaugh, also to the 500 JRH I have . I have shot the 454 Casull. For about the same power
I prefer the bigger slower bullet and the slower push recoil. From all that I have shot, The Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh is the best all around balance of everything.
Though the BFRs are not to shabby for the price.

Do you shoot much .480 Ruger out of your .475 FAs? I’ve never shot a .480 but it seems to have potential as a recoil is more manageable than .454 Casull.

I think when I get one of these monsters it will be a .454 or .460 as they share many components with my .45 colt. I’ve also heard that .475 bullets are hard to come by, but I would just cast them Myself if need be.

Having owned both a .475 & a .460 which way would you jump?
No, mainly because makes dirty mess to clean up in chambers. I prefer to load down the 475 L.
For recoil the 480 R sits just about midway between 44 Rem Mag and the 454 Casull.
I would go with the 454 in a smaller gun, can always load it down, though depends what you are going to use it for. Just checked and plenty of 475 bullets available.
The 460 guns are to big and heavy for what I use the 480R and 475 L for.
Last edited by Fivex475 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fivex475 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:29 pm
INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:01 am
Fivex475 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:40 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm Really? You have a 454 Casull revolver?
No, John Linebaugh , I prefer the 475 Linebaugh, also to the 500 JRH I have . I have shot the 454 Casull. For about the same power
I prefer the bigger slower bullet and the slower push recoil. From all that I have shot, The Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh is the best all around balance of everything.
Though the BFRs are not to shabby for the price.

Do you shoot much .480 Ruger out of your .475 FAs? I’ve never shot a .480 but it seems to have potential as a recoil is more manageable than .454 Casull.

I think when I get one of these monsters it will be a .454 or .460 as they share many components with my .45 colt. I’ve also heard that .475 bullets are hard to come by, but I would just cast them Myself if need be.

Having owned both a .475 & a .460 which way would you jump?

I would go with the 454 in a smaller gun, can always load it down, though depends what you are going to use it for.
Probably just to shoot a lot of .45 colt, if I’m honest. I’d like the ability to load just a bit hotter over my “.45 colt magnums” and .454 gives you that ability. The hot .45 “Ruger only” .45 colt loads out of my .45 Blackhawk are pretty close to “hot enough.” I don’t like huge, clunky pistols either, the Blackhawk is on the bigger side but still handy, well balanced, and feels and shoots great. I think I would lean toward something like a super Blackhawk bisley in .454.

Thanks for your response, OBTW! I certainly don’t need anything that stompy (like .454)- but as a hand loader, it’s an itch I want to scratch for some reason. .45 colt does everything I need it to do here in Ohio; as does .357 …

I would go with the 454 in a smaller gun, can always load it down, though depends what you are going to use it for.
[/quote]

Probably just to shoot a lot of .45 colt, if I’m honest. I’d like the ability to load just a bit hotter over my “.45 colt magnums” and .454 gives you that ability. The hot .45 “Ruger only” .45 colt loads out of my .45 Blackhawk are pretty close to “hot enough.” I don’t like huge, clunky pistols either, the Blackhawk is on the bigger side but still handy, well balanced, and feels and shoots great. I think I would lean toward something like a super Blackhawk bisley in .454.

Thanks for your response, OBTW! I certainly don’t need anything that stompy (like .454)- but as a hand loader, it’s an itch I want to scratch for some reason. .45 colt does everything I need it to do here in Ohio; as does .357 …
[/quote]

Sounds like the 454 is the way to go.
I have found that I prefer the standard grip frame to the bisley for dealing with more recoil.
Hot 45 Colt proved to be not quite enough dealing with some critters thinking about hurting me.
I went with the 475 for slower recoil, the 454 recoil is to fast for me.
Happy trails to you and yours ...

Yeah even though my Ruger Blackhawk is designed to handle the “Ruger only” .45 colt +p loads. Mine is a plow handle
And it does recoil very nicely with said loads. The heat out of the forcing cone area is a bit concerning (as I don’t get this effect out of my .357 black hawk with max loads.) I’m just one of those guys who wants a a bigger safety margin, and a gun that’s not at it’s pressure design limit. I’m not particularly recoil sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:05 am
I have a S&W 460 that will fire 45LC, 454 Casual, and 460 Magnum. After I shot a 460, I sold my S&W 500. IMHO, more power.

By the way, Where is the Chiappa Love here? The one on the left is a 9mm and shoots like a 22.
The other is .357/.38 I love 'um.
Chiappa Siblings.jpg
Love Chiapas!

Been casually looking for a full size, 6inch barrel, revolver and son mentioned last night, "let's look here"(GreenMountain Guns in Denver) and viola!
Sorry for the crappy picture...taken while it's on my lap n car...S&W 686, 7 shot...really nice and a BARGIAN...not new but looked really perfect.
https://greenmountainguns.com/
IMG_56ekvnpgn.jpg
Shot it yesterday...what a sweet revolver. Compared it to son's 4.25 inch Python..both very similar.

F4FEver wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:00 am Shot it yesterday...what a sweet revolver. Compared it to son's 4.25 inch Python..both very similar.
Looks like might be what I call a transition example.

Does it have the key lock ? Dash number ?

I have a seven inch with key lock. I believe the seven shot is a bit stronger and better action than the six shot.

Wheelguns will continue to have a place for a very long time to come. Not only are they classic, but they are also dead-nuts reliable and easy to use. This is why many cops use pocket revolvers like the Ruger LCR and S&W J-frame as their backup guns.

I've gone back to work at our local range on the weekends, this time as a manager, and I'm known as "the revolver guy" among my staff because I'm the only one that regularly carries wheelguns as a duty gun. On rare occasions, I'll double-up with one .38 Spl or .357 Magnum on each hip. :-) Several times, I've worn the S&W Model 629 with the rosewood grips (loaded with .44 Special hollow points), and that always gets favorable comments from customers. Most of the time, it's the Ruger Security-Six in .357M, loaded with .357M hollow points, because that revolver is lighter.

Just to mix things up, sometimes I'll wear a semi-auto in 9mm. Basically, it's to surprise my staff members a bit and have a little fun with them. :-)

Wheelguns are also great for handloaders. This is mostly because you don't have to go chasing brass.

Finally, wheelgun cartridges benefit from the increased velocity that you can get out of a lever-action rifle. A 158gr .357M load will do about 1,200 fps out of a 4" bbl revolver. Put that same load in a 16" lever rifle, and you're going to see 1,700+ fps. Remember the formula for kinetic energy here.

KE = 0.5 * mass * velocity^2

That same .357M load out of the rifle will have about double the power.

Same goes for the .44 Magnum cartridge. Out of the 6" S&W Model 629, we might see about 1,400 fps with a 200gr bullet. I have chrono'ed my 200gr .44M cast boolit load out of the lever rifle. It hits right at about 2,000 fps. That be movin', folks. That's more power than a .30-30 will have at typical East Coast ranges.

The same will apply to the .45 Colt Magnum loads, the .454 Casull loads, and so on.

So, revolvers, and their cartridges, have some definite advantages, and that's why they'll remain useful for a long time to come.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Fivex475 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:34 pm
F4FEver wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:00 am Shot it yesterday...what a sweet revolver. Compared it to son's 4.25 inch Python..both very similar.
Looks like might be what I call a transition example.

Does it have the key lock ? Dash number ?

I have a seven inch with key lock. I believe the seven shot is a bit stronger and better action than the six shot.
Yes to both...686-6 and even has the(will never use) wee key.
The little envelope with the fired casing in it had a July 2006 date.
So, revolvers, and their cartridges, have some definite advantages, and that's why they'll remain useful for a long time to come.
PLUS they are great fun...nice to just have a pocket full of ammo, and not have to reload a magazine..

Anybody wanna buy a really nice RIA R200? A low end toyota of handguns vs my high end 'Cadillac' S&W...

I was glad to see you yoink the 327 - some old hands here have spoken highly of its close cousin the TRR8. I was really tempted.

Ended my shooting season on an excellent day with the Blackhawk. I often feel that a good day with one gun means a bad day with the other - or at least, a bad day with one gets better when I switch. I was thrilled to round things out with a very good day shooting both. I only break into the .45 Colt when I'm having a good day, but it was shooting just as well as the Hunter this time around - blew out the center for the first time. It really likes the S&B JHPs.

Now it's time to slack off and lose all that progress.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:48 am All my smith wheelguns:

642 J-Frame .38
66-3 K- Frame .357
586 “no-dash” L- Frame .357
327, R-8 N-Frame .357 - just added to my collection.
…and as several of you know my penchant for lanyards, I sent away to hogue for the lanyard ring:

Uh with those lanyards, what holster r ya using with those?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:48 am All my smith wheelguns:

642 J-Frame .38
66-3 K- Frame .357
586 “no-dash” L- Frame .357
327, R-8 N-Frame .357 - just added to my collection.
…and as several of you know my penchant for lanyards, I sent away to hogue for the lanyard ring:

Uh with those lanyards, what holster r ya using with those?
For Kayaking and waterfowling I use this rig:

Sooo...back when my FIL and my MIL were on The Farm there was a small collection of various firearms. My FIL was a revolver guy from way back and I started on them and never got over it so we would have a blast playing with and fondling (and shooting!) revolvers from each others tool box. He had a Colt Detective Special that he carried as a Sheriffs Deputy that we never shot but is was smooth as butter and I always lusted to shoot it. He passed some years ago and I inherited more fabulous pieces from his collection than I can recall but I always wondered what become of that Colt Dick Special.

My MIL moved to town and any time I asked about it she had no clue what I was talking about. I suspected a shirt tail relative had "purloined/liberated" it and put it out of my mind. But here last year my MIL (now 91) has decided to move into a senior housing facility and sell her house so I'm helping fix it up for resale. She handed me a satchel (heavy) from the rear bedroom and said "please take care of this stuff" so I did.

Lookie what I found! I even bought a holster for it and carry it when I'm feeling all Smarty Pants. Apparently my MIL had been keeping it as a bedside gun and they weren't gonna let her have it at the new place. Pretty sweet piece from the early 70's. They'll never make guns like this again.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.
Attachments
ColtDetectiveSpecial.jpg

While the Detective Special is the revolver I most often carry my Colt Army Special is a very close second. It's pretty experienced, made in 1919, and still perhaps my most accurate 38 Special wheelie.
Army-Special-and-Hume-small.jpg
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim