Re: Let's see and talk revolvers.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:01 am
Fivex475 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:40 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm Really? You have a 454 Casull revolver?
How lucky can a guy be to get a name like Dick Casull , I mean jeepers?
No, John Linebaugh , I prefer the 475 Linebaugh, also to the 500 JRH I have . I have shot the 454 Casull. For about the same power
I prefer the bigger slower bullet and the slower push recoil. From all that I have shot, The Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh is the best all around balance of everything.
Though the BFRs are not to shabby for the price.

Do you shoot much .480 Ruger out of your .475 FAs? I’ve never shot a .480 but it seems to have potential as a recoil is more manageable than .454 Casull.

I think when I get one of these monsters it will be a .454 or .460 as they share many components with my .45 colt. I’ve also heard that .475 bullets are hard to come by, but I would just cast them Myself if need be.

Having owned both a .475 & a .460 which way would you jump?
No, mainly because makes dirty mess to clean up in chambers. I prefer to load down the 475 L.
For recoil the 480 R sits just about midway between 44 Rem Mag and the 454 Casull.
I would go with the 454 in a smaller gun, can always load it down, though depends what you are going to use it for. Just checked and plenty of 475 bullets available.
The 460 guns are to big and heavy for what I use the 480R and 475 L for.
Last edited by Fivex475 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fivex475 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:29 pm
INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:01 am
Fivex475 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:40 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm Really? You have a 454 Casull revolver?
No, John Linebaugh , I prefer the 475 Linebaugh, also to the 500 JRH I have . I have shot the 454 Casull. For about the same power
I prefer the bigger slower bullet and the slower push recoil. From all that I have shot, The Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh is the best all around balance of everything.
Though the BFRs are not to shabby for the price.

Do you shoot much .480 Ruger out of your .475 FAs? I’ve never shot a .480 but it seems to have potential as a recoil is more manageable than .454 Casull.

I think when I get one of these monsters it will be a .454 or .460 as they share many components with my .45 colt. I’ve also heard that .475 bullets are hard to come by, but I would just cast them Myself if need be.

Having owned both a .475 & a .460 which way would you jump?

I would go with the 454 in a smaller gun, can always load it down, though depends what you are going to use it for.
Probably just to shoot a lot of .45 colt, if I’m honest. I’d like the ability to load just a bit hotter over my “.45 colt magnums” and .454 gives you that ability. The hot .45 “Ruger only” .45 colt loads out of my .45 Blackhawk are pretty close to “hot enough.” I don’t like huge, clunky pistols either, the Blackhawk is on the bigger side but still handy, well balanced, and feels and shoots great. I think I would lean toward something like a super Blackhawk bisley in .454.

Thanks for your response, OBTW! I certainly don’t need anything that stompy (like .454)- but as a hand loader, it’s an itch I want to scratch for some reason. .45 colt does everything I need it to do here in Ohio; as does .357 …

I would go with the 454 in a smaller gun, can always load it down, though depends what you are going to use it for.
[/quote]

Probably just to shoot a lot of .45 colt, if I’m honest. I’d like the ability to load just a bit hotter over my “.45 colt magnums” and .454 gives you that ability. The hot .45 “Ruger only” .45 colt loads out of my .45 Blackhawk are pretty close to “hot enough.” I don’t like huge, clunky pistols either, the Blackhawk is on the bigger side but still handy, well balanced, and feels and shoots great. I think I would lean toward something like a super Blackhawk bisley in .454.

Thanks for your response, OBTW! I certainly don’t need anything that stompy (like .454)- but as a hand loader, it’s an itch I want to scratch for some reason. .45 colt does everything I need it to do here in Ohio; as does .357 …
[/quote]

Sounds like the 454 is the way to go.
I have found that I prefer the standard grip frame to the bisley for dealing with more recoil.
Hot 45 Colt proved to be not quite enough dealing with some critters thinking about hurting me.
I went with the 475 for slower recoil, the 454 recoil is to fast for me.
Happy trails to you and yours ...

Yeah even though my Ruger Blackhawk is designed to handle the “Ruger only” .45 colt +p loads. Mine is a plow handle
And it does recoil very nicely with said loads. The heat out of the forcing cone area is a bit concerning (as I don’t get this effect out of my .357 black hawk with max loads.) I’m just one of those guys who wants a a bigger safety margin, and a gun that’s not at it’s pressure design limit. I’m not particularly recoil sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:05 am
I have a S&W 460 that will fire 45LC, 454 Casual, and 460 Magnum. After I shot a 460, I sold my S&W 500. IMHO, more power.

By the way, Where is the Chiappa Love here? The one on the left is a 9mm and shoots like a 22.
The other is .357/.38 I love 'um.
Chiappa Siblings.jpg
Love Chiapas!

The challenge for me is the grips. I like how the plow handle rolls in my hand, eating up the force. Rhino forces me to absorb the recoil. Fuck that shit. ;-)

CDFingers

There are things we can replace, and others we cannot.
Time has come to weigh those things--this space is getting hot. You know this space is getting hot.