Re: Let's see and talk revolvers.

Vaquero old vs. new frame...

Old Frame
When Ruger created his original Blackhawk revolver he chose a frame very similar to the Colt flat top SAA. But sometime in the '70's (I think), Ruger standardized the Blackhawk on one frame size, which is a bit larger than a Colt frame. These are very beefy, robust revolvers. This is the frame that the original old model Vaquero is based on. So the old Vaquero's can take 25k PSI .45 Colt loads, and full .44 magnum loads. Holsters for the old model frames need to be a bit larger in frame & cylinder dimensions. Also IIRC the old model Vaquero uses the XR3-RED grip frame, where the grip is moved back a little to protect the shooters knuckles from the trigger guard under magnum recoil. This grip frame was not real popular with cowboy action shooters.

New Frame (don't remember when they made the change)
The Vaquero took off well beyond Ruger's wildest dreams mostly due to the explosion of Cowboy Action shooting. So the demand from the most serious shooters of single action revolvers was a return to the right sized frame, and proper grip frame shape (XR3). Ruger delivered, and this is the new model Vaquero of today. This revolver is not something you want to hot rod. While it may be a little tougher pressure wise than a Colt, its not enough to ever get adventurous with. This is a modern lockwork Colt SAA analogue built to be run VERY hard. This was a very smart move because the Vaquero has become THE competition revolver to have these days.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

tonguengroover wrote:That was excellent revolver talk.
There is so much that goes into making a revolver i think is taken for granted and forgotten.
I wish i had and old model vaquero to compare to my new one.
It’s still a great pistol! Congrats.

You just can’t shoot insane loads out of your New Vaquero. (Aka the .45 colt “magnums”)

The standard .45 colt load is quite powerful enough as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:43 am
There is so much that goes into making a revolver i think is taken for granted and forgotten.

You just can’t shoot insane loads out of your New Vaquero. (Aka the .45 colt “magnums”)

Yeah I think that was what frontsight was getting at, no +P which is fine with me. The bullets are huuuuge!
I've never shot this Ammo Incorporated before. Made in USA it says on the box Hyperclean Technology, what ever that means, also manufacturered with match grade Technology with Ultimate Accuracy. Maybe just a lot of hype but runs at MV 842 fps ME 385 ft lbs, 50yds 830 fps and 50 yd energy 383 ft lbs.
So that hunk of lead is whistling along pretty consistantly. It ran me 63 bucks per 50 rnd box. Seems like a deal as I checked online and it was about the same plus shipping.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:04 am

Yeah I think that was what frontsight was getting at, no +P which is fine with me. The bullets are huuuuge!
I've never shot this Ammo Incorporated before. Made in USA it says on the box Hyperclean Technology, what ever that means, also manufacturered with match grade Technology with Ultimate Accuracy. Maybe just a lot of hype but runs at MV 842 fps ME 385 ft lbs, 50yds 830 fps and 50 yd energy 383 ft lbs.
So that hunk of lead is whistling along pretty consistantly. It ran me 63 bucks per 50 rnd box. Seems like a deal as I checked online and it was about the same plus shipping.
Standard pressure .45 Colt in full power loadings is a very potent cartridge. Its not a great long range shooter, but inside 100 yards most anything squarely hit with that cartridge is going to die very soon no matter how big the animal is. For large game I doubt I would try a shot beyond about 75 yards, but that's mostly because the trajectory is a bit harder to dope out than one of the magnums, but if you shoot it a lot, you'll know where to hold.

I have some rather stout loads using IMR 4227 and 2400, that I put under a Hornady 255gr XTP, my chronograph showed 910fps from a 4 3/4" barrel. For defensive work against things like bears and big kitties, I guarantee you that round would be a momentous event for any animal hit provided I do my part.

I don't really consider revolvers for defense against potentially armed humans, but if you're in the field and that's all you have; well you have to dance with the one you brought. You really can't afford to miss, but the cartridge is perhaps the most proven man stopper in history, handgun cartridge wise.

Keep in mind, the original loading of 40 grains of black powder behind a 250gr flat point was intended to take down horses. They quickly reduced that to 30 grains with very little impact on the cartridges ability to take down a horse in battle. If you can take down a horse, most other critters wont fare well either.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

--snrp--
This is so true. In my Old Model Vaquero, I loaded 10.5 gr Unique under a 250gr LRNFP, made up ten of them. I still have eight, just in case I'm jumped by a t. rex. My settled upon load is 8.5 gr.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:

--snrp--
This is so true. In my Old Model Vaquero, I loaded 10.5 gr Unique under a 250gr LRNFP, made up ten of them. I still have eight, just in case I'm jumped by a t. rex. My settled upon load is 8.5 gr.

CDFingers
Yeah - my standard load is 250 gr LRN over 7.4 gr of Winchester 231. A very nice, accurate, medium duty load. My .45 colt “magnum load” is 255 Kieth style bullet over 19.5 gr. H110. (I prefer 2400 as well, but I haven’t seen it in years) That’s stout in the Blackhawk, and you can feel the heat from it, however it’s nice and pleasant in the Henry.

MicahaelTinkerPearce wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:20 am
sikacz wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:51 pm Considering what I’ve seen tinker build, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was his own manufacture.
LOL- No, this is a Wonder Sight. Manufactured from around 1953 and still available if you search hard enough. This one came with a Brazillian-Contract Model 1917, which it didn't fit on so I mounted it on this gun.
Good install though!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:27 pm
CDFingers wrote:

--snrp--

CDFingers
Yeah - my standard load is 250 gr LRN over 7.4 gr of Winchester 231. A very nice, accurate, medium duty load. My .45 colt “magnum load” is 255 Kieth style bullet over 19.5 gr. H110. (I prefer 2400 as well, but I haven’t seen it in years) That’s stout in the Blackhawk, and you can feel the heat from it, however it’s nice and pleasant in the Henry.

With my t. rex load, I'll just wait 'till he gets close so even if I miss I'll torch him with the muzzle blast.

CDFingrers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Fivex475 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:16 am DSC_0278.JPGEnjoyed reading through all the posts. Have had many revolvers over a few decades.
I am on my way back from hunting hogs and just have one with me, which I will try to post a picture of.
Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 480 Ruger
Excellent first post! You and I shall get along fine since I'm a Ruger fanatic.
Usually we ask peoples to introduce them selves but this is a great start.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:27 pm Yeah - my standard load is 250 gr LRN over 7.4 gr of Winchester 231. A very nice, accurate, medium duty load. My .45 colt “magnum load” is 255 Kieth style bullet over 19.5 gr. H110. (I prefer 2400 as well, but I haven’t seen it in years) That’s stout in the Blackhawk, and you can feel the heat from it, however it’s nice and pleasant in the Henry.
Indeed, the same stout round shot from a revolver feels like an unfortunate waste of powder after shooting from a nice 20”+ levergun. Well, pretty fireworks aside that is.

Crazy lookin’ grips there, T&G’er!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:54 pm
Fivex475 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:16 am DSC_0278.JPGEnjoyed reading through all the posts. Have had many revolvers over a few decades.
I am on my way back from hunting hogs and just have one with me, which I will try to post a picture of.
Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 480 Ruger
Excellent first post! You and I shall get along fine since I'm a Ruger fanatic.
Usually we ask peoples to introduce them selves but this is a great start.
Thanks. Touring the site I did not see a spot for introductions , is there one ?
I am not a Ruger fanatic, except for serious power, they are hard to beat for value.
Also have Freedom Arms but the value has gone up so much afraid to take them into the woods or water now.
Remember the Blackhawk 357/44 conversion days ? Wish I still had mine.

Fivex475 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:46 pm Thanks. Touring the site I did not see a spot for introductions , is there one ?
Right here good buddy:
https://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB ... m.php?f=37

Just start a “new topic” with your intro.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm Really? You have a 454 Casull revolver?
How lucky can a guy be to get a name like Dick Casull , I mean jeepers?
No, John Linebaugh , I prefer the 475 Linebaugh, also to the 500 JRH I have . I have shot the 454 Casull. For about the same power
I prefer the bigger slower bullet and the slower push recoil. From all that I have shot, The Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh is the best all around balance of everything.
Though the BFRs are not to shabby for the price.

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm Really? You have a 454 Casull revolver?
I have a S&W 460 that will fire 45LC, 454 Casual, and 460 Magnum. After I shot a 460, I sold my S&W 500. IMHO, more power.

By the way, Where is the Chiappa Love here? The one on the left is a 9mm and shoots like a 22.
The other is .357/.38 I love 'um.
Chiappa Siblings.jpg
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Fivex475 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:40 pm
No, John Linebaugh , I prefer the 475 Linebaugh, also to the 500 JRH I have . I have shot the 454 Casull. For about the same power
I prefer the bigger slower bullet and the slower push recoil. From all that I have shot, The Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh is the best all around balance of everything.
Though the BFRs are not to shabby for the price.

Do you shoot much .480 Ruger out of your .475 FAs? I’ve never shot a .480 but it seems to have potential as a recoil is more manageable than .454 Casull.

I think when I get one of these monsters it will be a .454 or .460 as they share many components with my .45 colt. I’ve also heard that .475 bullets are hard to come by, but I would just cast them Myself if need be.

Having owned both a .475 & a .460 which way would you jump?

I have carried a snubbie Chiappa Rhino .357 and enjoyed shooting full-house magnum rounds out of it for kicks. The feeling of recoil is kinda neat coming in more into the palm than toward the web of the hands. But my carry piece sported a different, shorter grip to print less when carried.

It’s a fun feeling of control but I don’t know how it would feel after 50 rounds of that...

So last night I was checking an order on ShopRuger.com, talking to the sweet young southern girl that answers the phone, you know, Jane. I said "Hey Jane, just out of curiosity do you have any idea when you guys are going to make some .45 Vaquero convertibles?" She said hold on a minute. Me thinking she just needed to put me on hold. Jane came back on and said " Well Stephen, today is your lucky day. We just finished a big lot of Vaqueros and I can have one shipped down to your favorite FFL tomorrow in your name."
Then Jane said "You won't believe this but we also just finished a run on the Marlins in .45 Long Colt and can do consecutive serial numbers. We have the Vaqueros in all barrel lengths, stainless, blued or case hardened. Plus we can put on just about any grip you want. We can also do that Longhorn one you were looking at online yesterday."
I was like whaaaaaaaaaa?
Just then I woke up to my wife kicking me saying I was giggling out loud in my sleep. shit