Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

BiL still feeling like a cold but sister really hit hard. Severe headache, three boxes of tissue a day, absolutely fagged and no appetite at all. The prescribed anti-viral arrived and it's three doses twice a day and tastes like like sucking a 1943 zinc penny.

In other news.

My niece's friends are returning to the UK via New Zealand and both tested positive for Covid in the last few days. So she went to party and have dinner with them because she will miss them and it might be the last time she sees them until her next vacation. But they had already purchased the tickets and made reservations for events in New Zealand and will will stay with several friends while there.

Yup. Back to normal. Nothing to worry about.

LTGTR

Laissez les bon temps rouler.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

The Food and Drug Administration on Friday authorized Moderna’s and Pfizer’s Covid-19 shots for children as young as 6 months old, which makes nearly every person in the U.S. now eligible for vaccination. The FDA decision comes after its committee of independent vaccine experts voted unanimously to recommend the shots after weighing their safety and effectiveness during an all-day meeting Wednesday that was open to the public. The FDA authorized Pfizer’s three-dose vaccine for children 6 months to 4-years-old, and Moderna’s two-dose vaccine for children 6 months to 5-years-old. Children under age 5 were the only people left in the U.S. not eligible for vaccination. Many parents have been waiting months for the FDA to authorize the vaccines for their kids.

The FDA on Friday also authorized Moderna’s vaccines for kindergarteners through high schoolers. Previously, Pfizer’s vaccine was the only Covid shot available for this age group. However, there is still one more step left before vaccinations of children under age 5 can begin. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s committee will meet on Saturday to vote on guidelines for pharmacies and doctors’ offices. CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky then has to sign off on those guidelines before kids can start receiving the shots.

The White House expects vaccinations to begin as soon as Tuesday. Appointments might be limited initially but every parent who wants to get their child vaccinated should be able to do so within weeks, according to Dr. Ashish Jha, who oversees the Biden administration’s Covid response.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/17/fda-aut ... onths.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

COVID cases are again surging in Europe, driven by the BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus’s omicron variant that are deemed to be 10% to 15% more infectious than earlier virus iterations and are spreading fast in Portugal, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece, the Netherlands and Denmark.

In France, cases have climbed to 920 in a week from 224 on June 13, the Guardian reported, citing data from aggregator Our World in Data. Experts are now concerned that with few restrictions left in place and low booster take-up, the continent could be facing a steep increase in cases this summer. Portugal has seen the biggest wave with infections per million residents at a seven-day average of 2,043 on Monday, the second highest new-case rate in the world. French health expert Dr. Damien Mascret told France 2 television that the BA.4 and BA.5 variants had led to significant excess deaths in Portugal, adding that hospital admissions in France were up 27% and intensive-care admissions 17% in a week’s time.

“The holiday season is about to start, almost all restrictions have been relaxed — things could take off again very fast indeed,” he said. “It’s concerning that only 29% of over-60s have so far got the fourth dose to which they are all entitled.” U.S. cases are averaging 96,218 a day, down 15% from two weeks ago, according to a New York Times tracker. Cases are now falling in roughly half of the 50 states, and are coming down fastest in the Northeast and Midwest. But cases — and hospitalizations — are rising in the South and West.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/covid ... 1655908498
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:44 am
Omicron-based coronavirus booster shots will roll out this fall
https://archive.ph/kpR0K
Excellent. Not sure if I should hold or play right now since the wife got infected (not sure which variant) and I didn't catch it even though we swapped spit and other stuff two days before she tested positive.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Florida Pediatrician Axed From State Board For Pro-Vaccine Comments

A Florida pediatrician has been booted off a state-appointed public health board of directors for statements about COVID-19 vaccines that displeased at least one Republican elected official.

The pediatrician, Dr. Lisa Gwynn, had been advocating for equal access to the vaccine for children under 5 years old at a time when the state of Florida was running counter to health advice from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Florida is the only state that has not ordered vaccines for young children, despite the CDC’s recommendation that children under 5 be given the shots to protect against severe illness and death by the coronavirus.

Gwynn’s medical recommendation provoked a harsh response from Florida’s chief financial officer, Jimmy Petronis, an ally of the state’s hard-right Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), who has peddled misleading information about the vaccines and encouraged residents to do their own research on the pandemic. Both men are up for reelection this year.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/florida- ... 1d842766ab

So a qualified medical Doctor gets booted off a board for giving the same medical advice as the CDC. This was at the request of a non-medical Right Wing idiot.

The State of DeSatan AKA Florida where you can't get an abortion and you can't get vaccines to keep the children healthy.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Based on numbers here in Los Angeles, I don’t consider this a regression at all but signs of growing “herd-immunity”. Yes, more people are getting sick. But less people are using precautions or staying home and yet few people hospitalized or dying percentage-wise. It is a harsh reality but perfectly normal trend compared to annual influenza rates.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Yes, I agree that “immunity” is not the right word. But living with coronavirus has become possible now with the advent of treatment drugs and vaccines that “acclimate” the body’s immune system to recognize and fight new mutations which sweep across the globe.

We all still get sick from the influenza virus (mutations) each year. We have the option of getting yearly vaccines that are developed. This is how we will eventually view the coronavirus as well.

Consider also that the less lethal a mutation is, the more virulent it becomes. A successful viral mutation is one that hardly makes the host sick but spreads itself silently. Ebola, which is much more lethal, has less time before it kills the host to spread itself around the world to become a pandemic even with the same global air travel opportunities and such. This is the understanding that all virologists use to fight pandemics.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I got the latest Booster and recommend everybody get the booster. It is like the Flu Shot. It may not keep you from getting sick, but it makes it a whole lot easier to get well.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 am I got the latest Booster and recommend everybody get the booster. It is like the Flu Shot. It may not keep you from getting sick, but it makes it a whole lot easier to get well.

Same here, I got mine 3/30/2022 but it starts to wain. I'm waiting for the new improved version that should be out this Fall. In the meantime, it looks like the feds will open up 2nd boosters (4th doses) to all adults not just those over 50.

highdesert wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:09 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 am I got the latest Booster and recommend everybody get the booster. It is like the Flu Shot. It may not keep you from getting sick, but it makes it a whole lot easier to get well.

Same here, I got mine 3/30/2022 but it starts to wain. I still mask up when I go out. I'm waiting for the new improved version that should be out this Fall. In the meantime, it looks like the feds will open up 2nd boosters (4th doses) to all adults not just those over 50.

highdesert wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:12 pm
highdesert wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:09 pm

Same here, I got mine 3/30/2022 but it starts to wain. I still mask up when I go out. I'm waiting for the new improved version that should be out this Fall. In the meantime, it looks like the feds will open up 2nd boosters (4th doses) to all adults not just those over 50.
Same here. My wife and I dropped in to the local Walgreens and got the latest Pfizer one.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

President Joe Biden tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday and is experiencing “very mild symptoms,” underscoring the persistence of the highly contagious virus as new variants challenge the nation’s efforts to resume normalcy after two and a half years of pandemic disruptions. White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Biden has begun taking Paxlovid, an antiviral drug designed to reduce the severity of the disease.

She said Biden has “very mild symptoms” and “will isolate at the White House while continuing to carry out all of his duties fully.” She said Biden has been in contact with members of the White House staff by phone and will participate in his planned meetings at the White House “via phone and Zoom from the residence.”

Biden, 79, is fully vaccinated, after getting two doses of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine shortly before taking office, a first booster shot in September and an additional dose March 30.

Jean-Pierre said Biden had last tested negative on Tuesday, and he will stay isolated until he tests negative again. Biden had planned to visit Pennsylvania on Thursday to talk about his crime prevention plans and attend a Democratic fundraiser, and then spend a long weekend in Delaware. Those events are canceled.
https://apnews.com/article/biden-covid- ... dd504c31c3

The Biden administration is trying to decide whether to make a second COVID-19 booster more widely available to protect more people against the latest surge driving up infections and hospitalizations this summer. Anyone age 50 and older — and anyone 12 and older with a weak immune system — has been eligible for a second booster since March. But most people younger than 50 couldn't get one. That could now change. NPR learned that federal officials are currently debating the move.

Proponents of expanding booster eligibility say the nation urgently needs to boost as many people as possible because of the threat posed by the most contagious version of the coronavirus to emerge yet, known as BA.5. Skeptics doubt another booster of the same vaccine will provide much added protection to most people. Some also worry another shot could backfire, by training the immune system to only fight the original strain of the virus. There's also concern getting another booster now may interfere with efforts to roll out the next generation of boosters that target omicron in the fall.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... e-under-50

The Biden administration announced that it is buying 66 million doses of updated Moderna COVID-19 vaccine targeting the omicron variant ahead of a planned booster campaign starting in “early fall.” The updated vaccine will specifically target the BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants of omicron which are currently circulating and fueling a new increase in hospitalizations.

The Moderna purchase comes on top of an order placed last month for 105 million doses of Pfizer’s updated vaccine. The first deliveries of the updated vaccines from both companies will begin in “early fall,” the Department of Health and Human Services said Friday, allowing the booster shot campaign to begin then, assuming the Food and Drug Administration formally signs off on the updated shots.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3 ... -campaign/

I've boosted and boosted again (I hit the trifecta...! JJ, Pfizer, Moderna...the Moderna made me rather ill so I don't think I'll do that one, or JJ, again; but we shall see, we shall see)

I used to know two people, used to, as they have demonstrated batshitcrazy syndrome, suggesting that I really didn't know them at all. One believes covid is government caused and, in conjunction with 5G, is intended to control us through nanobots carried by the "vaccine".

The other claims it's all part of god's design bla bla bla rapture bla bla bla jesus reappears in a box of corn flakes or whatever bla bla bla but...!...
DON'T GET THAT SHOT!!!

Needless to say, I quietly backed out the door and ran away as fast as I could. Apparently 5G guy's family tossed his ass to the curb when he started that shit.

And ... I wear a mask whenever I go out, which is rare, and keep away from everyone. I hate people anyway so ...meh.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Same here, I mask up when I go to the bank, grocery store or any indoor establishment. I've noticed that most of us oldsters are masked. When I went to my physician's office for the annual check, they required the unmasked to mask up. When I went to the vampires for the blood tests, I was surprised that many of their customers were not masked, but all their staff were. I don't wear a mask when I'm out walking, I keep my distance from everyone. No batshit crazies in my orbit, thankfully.

The UK has become the first country to approve a dual vaccine which tackles both the original Covid virus and the newer Omicron variant. Ministers say the vaccine will now form part of the autumn booster campaign. Moderna thinks 13 million doses of its new vaccine will be available this year, but 26 million people are eligible for some form of booster. Health officials say people should take whichever booster they are offered as all jabs provide protection.

The original vaccines used in the pandemic were designed to train the body to fight the first form of the virus which emerged in Wuhan, in China, at the end of 2019. The Covid virus has since mutated substantially, with a stream of new variants emerging that can dodge some of our immune defences. They have caused large surges in cases around the world. The original vaccines still provide strong protection against becoming severely ill or dying, but companies are tweaking them to match the virus as it evolves.
Moderna's latest vaccine targets both the original strain and the first Omicron variant (BA.1), which emerged last winter. It is known as a bivalent vaccine as it takes aim at two forms of Covid.

The UK's Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency has considered the evidence and given the vaccine approval for use in adults. Dr June Raine, the regulator's chief executive, said: "What this bivalent vaccine gives us is a sharpened tool in our armoury to help protect us against this disease as the virus continues to evolve." Experiments on 437 people showed the updated vaccine was safe and gave better immune protection against newer variants. Levels of antibodies that were able to stick to and disable Omicron (BA.1) were 1.7 times higher in people given the new vaccine. Tests against more recent Omicron variants (BA.4 and BA.5), which are causing the UK's current wave, also showed higher levels of protection with the updated vaccine.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-62548336

The Biden administration's planned fall COVID-19 booster campaign cleared a key regulatory hurdle, after the Food and Drug Administration announced Wednesday it has authorized updated shots adapted for the Omicron variant of the virus for Americans as young as 12 years old. People could get the new booster as little as 2 months after their last shot of a COVID-19 vaccine. Moderna's new shots are authorized for Americans as young as 18. Pfizer and BioNTech's can be given down to age 12. Boosters from the original formulation are no longer authorized for use in Americans who are eligible to get the new booster shots.

"As we head into fall and begin to spend more time indoors, we strongly encourage anyone who is eligible to consider receiving a booster dose with a bivalent COVID-19 vaccine to provide better protection against currently circulating variants," said Dr. Robert Califf, the FDA commissioner, in a release. The decision means shipments of the new doses from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna can now begin. Many state and local health departments already placed pre-orders last month for the first waves of deliveries.

A Pfizer spokesperson says the company can ship up to 15 million doses of the new vaccine by the end of next week, pending "final quality control checks." However, as with previous COVID-19 vaccine rollouts, vaccinators will need to wait for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's own recommendation before administering their first shots from the new vials. That green light is expected by the end of this week, following a two-day meeting of the agency's outside vaccine advisers this Thursday and Friday.

Pfizer plans to submit a request to the FDA "in early October" for giving the new booster to children down to 5 years old, the company said in a release, and is also working on a submission for boosting kids as young as 6 months old. The new formulations mark the first significant change to the COVID-19 vaccines since they were rolled out earlier in the pandemic. The vials of the so-called "bivalent" shots from each company blend together a component from their original "prototype" shots with another designed to target the Omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5 — the strains which are now prevalent across the country.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vacc ... 5-fda-cdc/

Get everyone vaccinated with the new formulation before the expected Winter surge of COVID cases. We've seen those Winter surges already that overstress the healthcare system.