"Supreme Court says public school officials can pray openly"

The Supreme Court on Monday ruled 6-3 that a Washington state public high school football coach had a right to pray on the field with students, declaring that such activity is protected under the Constitution because it counts as free speech. "The Free Exercise and Free Speech Clauses of the First Amendment protect an individual engaging in a personal religious observance from government reprisal; the Constitution neither mandates nor permits the government to suppress such religious expression," according to the court's opinion, written by Justice Neil Gorsuch.

The plaintiff in the case was public high school football coach Joseph Kennedy, who would pray midfield after games. The school district had asked him to stop doing so, saying that it violated the board's policy and the Constitution. Kennedy was placed on administrative leave. He then sued the school, saying that it violated his right to free speech. Gorsuch wrote that the school's reasoning to discipline Kennedy was "misguided," adding that the First Amendment "[protects] expressions" like the coach's.

"The Constitution and the best of our traditions counsel mutual respect and tolerance, not censorship and suppression, for religious and nonreligious views alike." Lower courts had held that because Kennedy "'was hired precisely to occupy' an 'influential role for student athletes,' any speech he uttered was offered in his capacity as a government employee and unprotected by the First Amendment." However, Gorsuch said that the school had a "mistaken view that it had a duty to ferret out and suppress religious observances even as it allows comparable secular speech. The Constitution neither mandates nor tolerates that kind of discrimination," and therefore the court ruled to reverse the lower courts' judgments.
https://www.axios.com/2022/06/27/religi ... urt-ruling
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "Supreme Court says public school officials can pray openly"

If he wants to get out at midfield by himself after the game and everybody has left and pray then I am fine with that. But If he has pressured or even insinuated the player or others should join him then I am not for that. I believe that Matthew 6.5 and 6.6 NIV states it well.
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Just waiting for the SCOTUS to declare Christianity as the state religion.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:11 pm If he wants to get out at midfield by himself after the game and everybody has left and pray then I am fine with that. But If he has pressured or even insinuated the player or others should join him then I am not for that. I believe that Matthew 6.5 and 6.6 NIV states it well.
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Just waiting for the SCOTUS to declare Christianity as the state religion.
Not all Christianity. All Christianity may be equal but some is more equal than others. It has to be the Christian Cult of Willful Ignorance and Deceit.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

This was an easy decision to predict knowing the current composition of SCOTUS, I don't agree with it but that's their ruling. From what I've heard Kennedy's behavior isn't unusual in rural or Southern states at high school or college games. Most of us here are secular, there is separation of church and state but we're not a atheistic state. The decision was 6-3, again as expected.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Once again, 180 degrees from the words of Jesus on the subject. Though, that's pretty much how they all roll.

“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men … but when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your father who is unseen.” Matthew 6:5-8
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:17 pm Once again, 180 degrees from the words of Jesus on the subject. Though, that's pretty much how they all roll.

“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men … but when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your father who is unseen.” Matthew 6:5-8
That's the exact quote I was thinking of, Coach Kennedy fits it perfectly.

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:41 pm The Satanic Temple has entered the chat.
The Satanic Temple is a non-theistic religious group that has a reputation for its progressive politics, and much of its work is centered around taking governments, people and corporations to court. The religious group that considers abortion a ritual announced that it would take up the matter legally. "The Satanic Temple is the leading beacon of light in the battle for abortion access. With Roe v. Wade overturned, a religious exemption will be the only available challenge to many restrictions to access," the group wrote in a statement. "TST stands alone because we are the only entity that can assert a religious liberty claim that terminating a pregnancy is a central part of a religious ritual that encourages self-empowerment and affirms bodily autonomy."
https://scoop.upworthy.com/satanic-temp ... vil-rights

Lawyers always make money.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

rolandson wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:46 pm My prayer rituals involve dancing en mass with Calla Lilies and Orchids shoved up our butts and then group sex. Just ask the Bhagwan.

Is this permitted in elementary school classes now? I don't think it would be appropriate for the kids, but if the supremes say it is, who am I to argue?
I remember back in elementary school during the dark ages. We had to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance and then bow our heads and say the Lord’s Prayer. Nobody questioned us having to do it. Also we never paid much attention to the drivel we were saying. We were more interested in wondering how long till recess.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,