Re: L.A. Times: "Column: Is California ready for more Black people to legally carry guns in public?"

I was there in 1967.

A year latter I was living in Ventura when a convicted murderer who had been defended in court by the attorney my wife worked for escaped after swearing in court to kill the judge and both attorneys "and you missy" pointing at my wife.

I had a gun but the police suggested that since they could not watch at all times I should carry. When I mentioned Mulford I was told quite frankly, "That's not meant for folk like you."
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Re: L.A. Times: "Column: Is California ready for more Black people to legally carry guns in public?"

For folk like you. Gad. We have to tamp down White fascist Nationalism with the 14th A.

But from the article, we find this:
“This is not a country where you want folks just randomly walking around with firearms,” said Choice, who thinks the Supreme Court’s ruling on Thursday was shortsighted and reckless. “The one thing I will say about California and their concealed carry requirements is you got to get a lot of education.”
I am not at all against education. There is no known overdose for learning, says the retired teacher who tried and failed many times to OD students thereby.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

“There’s no overt racism when we go to the gun range, but we know how people are looking at us,” Jones said of the dozens of Black members who meet up to go shooting. “We know the things that people think.”
What do people think? Like every black person carrying a gun is a criminal? No, can't be.
I'd say it depends on the way (white or people of color) who has a gun its the way they are carrying and besides, most criminals don't open carry!

I'm always watching anyone I spot carrying.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:58 pm For folk like you. Gad. We have to tamp down White fascist Nationalism with the 14th A.

But from the article, we find this:
“This is not a country where you want folks just randomly walking around with firearms,” said Choice, who thinks the Supreme Court’s ruling on Thursday was shortsighted and reckless. “The one thing I will say about California and their concealed carry requirements is you got to get a lot of education.”
I am not at all against education. There is no known overdose for learning, says the retired teacher who tried and failed many times to OD students thereby.

CDFingers
A few years later (I was designing cable tv systems and so got moved all over the country) I was transferred to Hotlanta. At the time I had a young man working as an apprentice draftsman who was also going to college at night. It was his first job and he was really trying to get a full time job and wanted to marry the girl from next door he grew up adoring. She was (I think) still a junior in high school but they were really trying to make everything work and she wanted to finish high school before they got married.

One day he didn't show up for work and around 10:30 we got a call from him saying he was in jail charged with stealing a car. My wife was once again working for attorneys who in this case also were State Legislators so I called her and asked her boss to see what he could find out since stealing a car simply was so totally out of character. About 15 minutes later a police car showed up at work with the young man and an officer that came in and apologized to ME for detaining my boy.

It seemed that he had been saving a little from each paycheck and bought an old Cadillac from an elderly neighbor who no longer drove it but it had been a handshake deal with no paper work and was still registered to the old man. He had of course taken his girl friend out for dinner in his new car and they were pulled over on the way home.He didn't have anyway to prove it was his car and the officer was not about to waste time trying to contact the registered owner so the girl was put out on the street, he went to the back seat and the car was impounded and that was that.

My wife's boss made sure there was no arrest recorded and got the car out of impound and returned to the young man but it took a week to get it returned. He never received an apology or even an acknowledgement that he had been wronged but that didn't matter since I did get an apology.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim