Re: Right to Carry petition to SCOTUS

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:19 pm Harris won't make it through the primaries, but Gavin will primary Biden from the left. I heard him today at the abortion bill signing ceremony, and he was riffin' presidential shit there. I think Gavin will be the nom. He will eat Desantis alive and shit out his bones via streaming.

CDFingers
Stop your giving me goosebumps. Lol
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

featureless wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:24 am
sikacz wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:12 am Dems need better candidates than an anti civil rights asshole like gavin.
But his hair is quite well quaffed.

I think newsom is an asshole, beholden to big money. But he's still less bad than many.
I don’t even like his hair.Let’s just say the dems need a big tent candidate, he’s not it.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Was listening to a "we the people" podcast (out of by the National Constitution Center. Guests were Adam Winkler (UCLA) and Clark Neily (Cato Institute). Neither are convinced text, history and tradition is a great scale. Both are convinced we're here due to circuit courts fuckfuck games with Heller. Basically, because CA9 and others continued to rule on essentially rational basis (where evidence doesn't matter, only intent), SCOTUS essentially said fuck you, you're done with the experiment of gun control.

featureless wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:42 pm This was just issued to CADOJ calling them on their good moral character.
https://gunrightsfoundation.org/wp-cont ... -Bruen.pdf
I like Warrington's letter, he's right on. At this time it looks like Bonta will have a Republican challenger in November, Nathan Hochman who got bi-partisan support.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The study, authored by John Donohue, Samuel Cai and Matthew Bondy of Standard Law School, and Philip Cook of Duke University, looked at data from 47 cities between 1979 and 2019. In particular, the study, circulated by the National Bureau of Economic Research, uses differential timing in the adoption of right-to-carry to look at the effects on crime, using FBI and Justice Department data.

The most significant impact is that right to carry laws elevate gun theft by roughly 35% — “introducing tens of thousands of guns into the hands of criminals or illegal gun markets each year.” The study notes that other countries, such as Israel, impose jail sentences for negligent gun practices such as leaving firearms in unlocked cars precisely because of the ill effects of stolen guns.

Having guns increases the probability of success to robbery by criminals, but only 40% of robberies are committed with one, suggesting that firearms are scarce, and their availability important. Violent crime, robbery and aggravated assault rise by between 11% and 15%, with the firearm component rising by roughly twice that level, the study says.

They also find the laws are associated with a 13% drop in the rates that police clear violent crime. The authors speculate that processing complaints about the increased gun theft, as well as less willingness to confront possibly armed citizens, may contribute to the reduction in police effectiveness. They cite another study finding the adoption of carry laws caused a 13% rise in officer-involved shooting, possibly because of the perceived risk of coming under fire in the line of duty.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/conce ... inor_pos25

The study goes on to say that the deterrent effect of carrying is smaller than is the criminogenic effect. So, if you carry, don't let it get stolen.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I'd like to see that study replicated by other researchers to verify it. I remember questioning another of John Donohue's studies, he's reliably anti-gun like John Lott is reliably pro-gun.

In Israel you can only get a permit/license for one firearm and 50 rounds and you have to return the shells to buy more ammo. They don't do concealed carry licenses, if you have a legal firearm you can carry it or keep it secured at home, business, work...
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It's not just the Post Office that bans weapons. Most publicly accessible Federal Buildings and much of its properties have bans on firearms. As an example National Parks
In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable Federal, state and local firearms laws and regulations, including laws authorizing or prohibiting concealed carry, before entering a national park. Some parks are located in more than one state or locality which means that the applicable laws may change depending upon where you are located within a park area.

If a park is located in a jurisdiction where the applicable state and local laws grant reciprocity to non-resident firearm owners, then consistent with the applicable law, the park will equally recognize the reciprocity. For information on state and local laws, please contact the state and locality where the park is located.
Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. 18 U.S.C. 930.
You can carry but can't shoot it. It is not to be considered a protection from wildlife.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I'm currently revisiting New Mexico laws for my trip as I think they have changed since I've been there two years ago.
I'm pretty sure I can carry in vehicle. Not sure if open loaded is OK or if I have numerous AR's and shotguns concealed in vehicle is OK. sigh
Those are to insure I can make it back to AZ should Shit gets stirred on the way back.
Can open carry being an AZ resident? Think so
Cannot CC since I have no NM permit and I don't think they recognize AZ CC permits which I do not and never will have anyways.

This is such a pain in the ass. I'm going into National Parks. Forest Service and National Monuments as well as just fuking around town.
But I have my big F'ing dog and a knife for bars. lol
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

featureless wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:12 am
highdesert wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:26 pm CA law does allow campers to have a gun at their campsite or fishing site for protection. At National Parks you just can't carry into any of their facilities.
SB 918 makes state parks and recreation areas "sensitive places." So, that will likely need to be litigated.
There shouldn’t be sensitive places, especially in a park or any federal institution since this is a constitutional right.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:00 pm
featureless wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:12 am
highdesert wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:26 pm CA law does allow campers to have a gun at their campsite or fishing site for protection. At National Parks you just can't carry into any of their facilities.
SB 918 makes state parks and recreation areas "sensitive places." So, that will likely need to be litigated.
There shouldn’t be sensitive places, especially in a park or any federal institution since this is a constitutional right.
CA isn't a "Castle Doctrine" state by legislation, but in a limited way it is through judicial decisions. If the legislature won't clear up the inconsistencies between SB 918 and current law, yes the courts will have to do it for CA residents.

Less than 36 hours after a shooter opened fire at the Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, killing seven people, Vice President Kamala Harris arrived in the north suburb Tuesday evening calling for federal action on assault weapons.

“We’ve got to be smarter as a country in terms of who has access to what, in particular assault weapons,” said Harris, who was joined by Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering and other Democratic politicians. “And we’ve got to take this stuff seriously. The whole nation should understand and have a level of empathy to understand that this could happen anywhere in any peace-loving community. And we should stand together and speak out about why it’s got to stop.”

Earlier in the day, Harris called for reinstituting a national assault weapon ban.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics ... story.html

It's an election year and Harris is out flogging the message loved by anti-gunners, AWB. "Vote for us and we'll save you from gun violence." A tired old message.