House J6 Insurrection Hearings thread

I wanted to get out ahead of the June 6 beginning of the hearings with this thread to prevent thread chaos.

I think many people will watch and these hearings which will alter the results of the midterms from where we stand today (June 2, 2022).

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: House J6 Insurrection Hearings thread

I'm hopeful they can lay out their findings in plain terms so even the dumbest of the dumbest may comprehend how close we came to losing our republic to an idiot grifter loser.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

The US House of Representatives committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the nation’s Capitol is nearing a more public phase of its work. Televised hearings are set to begin on June 9, with at least two expected to be held in prime time for maximum exposure. After that, the committee of seven Democrats and two Republicans will report its findings sometime before the midterm elections on Nov. 8.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

The hearings are a week from today, have to keep bumping it up or there will be more threads.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Prolly not, because the election midterms will be changed by its outcome, so once it's over the topic will return to how many R's are going down due to info exposed in the hearings. I think there will be a few real time discussions during some of the hearings, though.

CDFingers

DOJ declines to charge Meadows, Scavino with contempt of Congress for defying Jan. 6 committee

The Justice Department has declined to prosecute two of Donald Trump’s closest White House advisers — former chief of staff Mark Meadows and social media director Dan Scavino — for refusing to cooperate with the Jan. 6 select committee, rejecting the House’s recommendation that the pair be charged with contempt of Congress.
Committee chair Rep Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) and Vice Chair Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) called decision “puzzling” in a statement.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/ ... e-00037230

I was hoping they would all share a jail cell.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

"But now because of what we know from what great journalists have done, the leaks that have come from the January 6th committee, if you show me that Donald Trump was involved in the efforts to, in essence, to foment a coup, and you can show the requisite intent, he has to be indicted," he said.

The former attorney general pointed to an ongoing investigation by Georgia's Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, suggesting this could be the strongest case against Trump. The former president, according to a leaked audio record, called Georgia's Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, a Republican, and told him to find enough votes to flip the state's election in his favor.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-top-admi ... 1654419353

I predict the orange perp walk will happen on Oct. 23 of this year.

CDFingers

During an interview with Robert Costa on CBS Sunday Morning, Cheney was asked if she believed that the events of Jan. 6 amounted to a conspiracy.

"I do," Cheney revealed. "It is extremely broad. It's extremely well-organized. It's really chilling."
--snrp--
"What keeps Kevin McCarthy close to Trump? Fear? Or something else?" Costa asked.

"I think some of it is fear," Cheney remarked. "I think it's also craven political calculation. I think that he has decided that, you know, the most important thing to him is to attempt to be Speaker of the House. And therefore he is embracing those in our party who are anti-Semitic; he is embracing those in our party who are white nationalists; he is lying about what happened on January 6; and he's turned his back on the Constitution."
https://www.rawstory.com/liz-cheney-jan ... onspiracy/

I think the J6 cmte are letting things out to garner viewership come Thursday Prime Time.

On edit, for kicks and giggles, check out the replies on this red site thread:

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/4068850/posts

CDFingers

House investigators are in many ways making their case to the American public, the sources said, since it is not certain whether the panel will make criminal referrals to federal prosecutors, given they are not binding on the justice department, which has the sole authority to file charges.

But that quest will come with its own challenges, and the panel’s greatest difficulty is perhaps not so much whether they can show wrongdoing by Trump and his top advisers, but whether it can get Republican and independent voters to care.

The repeated delays in holding the hearings have meant House investigators were able to finish most of the evidence-gathering they intended to conduct (the committee initially anticipated holding them sometime in “the spring, then in April, then in May, and now in June).
--snrp--
Still, the target audience for the select committee is not Republicans but swing voters, Ornstein said. “I don’t have any expectation that Republicans who believe the election was stolen will change their minds. But it’s about the other voters and whether it will jolt the Democratic base into understanding what the stakes are.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... c-hearings

Speculation has it that the SCOTUS will kill Roe on Thursday day so as to take thunder away from the hearings. My guess is the hearings will dominate the weekend news cycles, not the death of Roe.

Seditious conspiracy, obstruction of justice will be spotlighted by their stupidity not to cover their tracks. Comedy gold.

CDFingers

The House's Jan. 6 committee has turned to a renowned former network news executive to hone a mountain of explosive material into a captivating multimedia presentation for a prime-time hearing Thursday. James Goldston — former president of ABC News, and a master documentary storyteller who ran "Good Morning America" and "Nightline" — has joined the committee as an unannounced adviser, Axios has learned. I'm told Goldston is busily producing Thursday's 8 p.m. ET hearing as if it were a blockbuster investigative special.

He plans to make it raw enough so that skeptical journalists will find the material fresh, and chew over the disclosures in future coverage. And he wants it to draw the eyeballs of Americans who haven't followed the ins and outs of the Capitol riot probe. Goldston is shaping a massive trove. The hearing will be a mix of live witnesses and pre-produced video. I'm told the committee has gained access to official White House photographs from Jan. 6, 2021, that have never been seen publicly.

Only a fraction of the surveillance footage from inside the Capitol — all kinds of angles were captured — has been shown. Many of the committee's depositions were videotaped. We'll see clips. An aide says the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol ... Has conducted more than 1,000 depositions and interviews, with more scheduled. Received 140,000+ documents. And is following up on 472 tips received through the committee's online tip line. The hearing — the first of a series by the committee (most will be during daytime) — has the makings of a national event.

At least two of the broadcast networks will interrupt evening programming for live coverage anchored by ABC's David Muir and CBS' Norah O'Donnell. NBC will announce plans soon. Republicans will argue that the 1/6 committee — which consists of seven Democrats plus Republicans Liz Cheney of Wyoming and Adam Kinzinger of Illinois — is just out to get former President Trump. As part of a Republican counter-programming blitz, key members of Congress are already booked for cable interviews after the hearing.
https://www.axios.com/2022/06/06/jan-6- ... s-goldston

We'll see how the public reacts to a slick documentary production. It could backfire.

We're into June and there are quite a few SCOTUS decisions that should be released this month, which is the end of the court's term.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wino wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:08 am In addition, maybe they should hire Ken Burns as he does docs very well !!
Ken Burns would do a great job ! Speaking of Ken Burns, his upcoming productions.
https://weta.org/about/productions/national/kenburns

Benjamin Franklin already aired, next is the US and the Holocaust.

Headline on the story from a Fox affiliate:
Strong evidence of former President Donald Trump ‘conspiring’ to stay in power: Brookings’ report
https://myfox8.com/news/strong-evidence ... gs-report/

Most of the article consists of quotes from the Brookings piece, saying "the report says." The writer could not spin it, so they just put quotes there. I think this is a very telling development.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:33 am Headline on the story from a Fox affiliate:
Strong evidence of former President Donald Trump ‘conspiring’ to stay in power: Brookings’ report
https://myfox8.com/news/strong-evidence ... gs-report/

Most of the article consists of quotes from the Brookings piece, saying "the report says." The writer could not spin it, so they just put quotes there. I think this is a very telling development.

CDFingers
Except Fox isn't going to live carry J6 TV, so won't reach the people that need to learn just how defective and dangerous turd is/was to our democracy. Not that many of them would really comprehend due to their blind worship of turd. Fox will "Barr" the report with their synopsis same as done for Mueller Report.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

It might be a profit decision for Fox rather than a political one: those folks who don't use the internet well but watch TV will want somewhere to go when everyone else is covering the hearings. Advertisers would like that.

What I find telling about that Fox affiliate article is that there was no way to spin it, so there is very little writing by the author, and what is written tells a lot about where they see this as going: orange jump suit time for many of their former idols. So they'll cover that and sell ads.

CDFingers

Nicely written article. That Fox affiliate is owned by Nexstar Media out of TX. From the writer's bio.
I grew from a Southern society of ignorance and try daily to overcome that. I don’t abide racism, narcissism, dishonesty, stupidity or driving slow in the left lane.

I’m neither a Democrat nor a Republican, neither a liberal nor a conservative. I have voted for people all along those lines. I mainly prefer people to treat each other with respect and try to do right. I believe politics separates good people from good ideas, and never has that been truer than today.

You can be sure that my vaccination has been boosted. I wear a mask religiously, and I avoid crowds – and, now, TV cameras.
https://myfox8.com/author/stevendoyle/

Watched Beau and then saw this, more food for thought.
What would an American fascist government look like?

It’s time to talk about what an American fascist government would look like. The word “fascism” gets thrown around a lot, but most Americans have no idea what it would look like or how it would actually play out.

It’s critical to lay out what a fascist America would look like now because this is what is being envisioned right now by many in the Republican Party, and it might come to pass.

They don’t talk about it out loud very much, like Nixon’s man G. Gordon Liddy used to back in the day when he signed memos using Hitler’s SS symbol. But there is a model here and they do have something in mind.
Full article here. https://www.rawstory.com/what-would-an- ... look-like/
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,