Re: REINTRODUCING THE MARLIN® MODEL 1895 TRAPPER LEVER-ACTION RIFLE

SubRosa wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:18 am A friend of mine has one of those.

Very nice, well built, light, and a PAST recoil pad is advised.

SR
Yes, indeed - a few decades back, I had a Ruger #3 in .45-70. With the PAST shoulder pad, I could have an enjoyable afternoon at the range; without it, by the fifth round accuracy degraded to "barn door" increments due to the flinch ("oooohhh... this gonna hurt").
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." ― Article VI, United States Constitution

Read somewhere that Ruger started with the 1895s because they viewed the upgrade process to be tougher. Once they had sorted out the .45/70, the lever action PCCs would likely be easier and quicker to roll out. I'm sure that pandemic demand had nothing to do with this.

I've seriously considered the Rossi option in the meantime, but I'm still curious to see how the 1894s roll. I expect .357 and .44 will come out long before .45 does.

tonguengroover wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:41 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:09 pm What the HELL????? Ruger has completely done away with the 1894 series, and the 1895 is strictly big-bore, no .357/.38 anymore.

This is disappointing.
I'd bet money the next one out will be a 94 in pistol cartridge.
Read somewhere that Ruger started with the 1895s because they viewed the upgrade process to be tougher. Once they had sorted out the .45/70, the lever action PCCs would likely be easier and quicker to roll out. I'm sure that pandemic demand had nothing to do with this.

I've seriously considered the Rossi option in the meantime, but I'm still curious to see how the 1894s roll. I expect .357 and .44 will come out long before .45 does.
Having an older 1894 (1979 JM stamped PCC) and knowing of the recent problems with the newer 1894s, maybe Ruger will re-introduce an improved 1894. I certainly am impressed with the build quality of my 1771 revolver.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:35 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:09 pm What the HELL????? Ruger has completely done away with the 1894 series, and the 1895 is strictly big-bore, no .357/.38 anymore.

This is disappointing.

Having an older 1894 (1979 JM stamped PCC) and knowing of the recent problems with the newer 1894s, maybe Ruger will re-introduce an improved 1894. I certainly am impressed with the build quality of my 1771 revolver.
Your talking about the funky Remlin 1894's?
Ruger must realize they are losing buckets of money by not putting out new pistol cartridge lever guns.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:56 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:35 am

This is disappointing.

Your talking about the funky Remlin 1894's?
Ruger must realize they are losing buckets of money by not putting out new pistol cartridge lever guns.
My 1894 was made nearly 30 years before Remington took over Marlin in 2008. I'm well aware that their recent rendition of the 1894 was neither smooth nor reliable.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The problem with lever action PCCs is the ongoing revolver ammunition drought. Ruger is a mass-market oriented company. They've barely cranked out any revolvers outside of Wranglers the past couple years, and for a while the only .357 or .44 Magnum you could shoot was what you had on hand or reloaded yourself. Don't even gets started on .45 Colt. No point in rushing the 1894s out the door until you can feed them.

wings wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:44 am The problem with lever action PCCs is the ongoing revolver ammunition drought. Ruger is a mass-market oriented company. They've barely cranked out any revolvers outside of Wranglers the past couple years, and for a while the only .357 or .44 Magnum you could shoot was what you had on hand or reloaded yourself. Don't even gets started on .45 Colt. No point in rushing the 1894s out the door until you can feed them.
Interesting POV. Since I haven't bought ammo in a year, I haven't been following the scarcity much. But are the ammo makers going out of business? I thought they were making it as fast as they could.

wings wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:49 pm and before you even ask, Ruger has a 9mm PCC. They aren't going to make one in lever action. Hilarious though that thought is.
A lever-action 9mm is a dream that seems impossible to make. I gather there are lots of difficulties to overcome and nobody has managed that yet.
I know Ruger makes a semi-auto PCC, but I have 2 9mm PCCs--a Sub2k and a Cx4.