Pittsburgh Democrats, Pennsylvania governor push AWB, mag ban

'Common sense' gun safety legislation unveiled in Pittsburgh includes assault weapons ban
Governor Tom Wolf and Mayor William Peduto joined City Council members Corey O’Connor and Erika Strassburger -- who together represent Squirrel Hill, site of the massacre of 11 people at the Tree of Life synagogue Oct. 27 -- to unveil three bills that will be introduced to Council on Tuesday.

They include:
  • An assault weapons ban making it unlawful to man manufacture, sell, purchase, transport, carry, store, or otherwise hold in one's possession an assault weapon within the City, such as the Colt AR-15 automatic rifle used in the Tree of Life shooting
No automatic weapons were used in the Tree of Life Synagogue shooting.
  • An accessories, ammunition and modification ban barring items such as bump stocks, armor-penetrating bullets, sawed-off rifles and large capacity magazines often used in mass shootings

Re: Pittsburgh Democrats, Pennsylvania governor push AWB, mag ban

Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto prepared to take city gun bills to Supreme Court
Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto said he’s prepared to battle all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court over the city’s proposed gun ban.

The mayor, in an interview with reporters Wednesday, said the Pennsylvania Supreme Court is another possibility “depending on what’s being challenged.”

Gun activists have promised to sue the city and file private criminal charges against the mayor and city council members if they pass bills prohibiting certain semi-automatic rifles, ammunition and firearms accessories. The ordinances include a “red flag” bill that would permit police and household members to petition a court for removal of a person’s firearms if the person is deemed a threat.

senorgrand wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 pm Welcome to CA. Population: You.
No kidding! I thought the OP misspelled Massachusetts or something.

I hope they are going to expand voting rights and eliminate gerrymandering first. Maybe healthcare access (esp. addiction rehab), paid leave, free daycare, and poverty reduction might be on the menu? If not, I think PA will go to the GOP in 2020 on "guns" alone.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:04 pm

I hope they are going to expand voting rights and eliminate gerrymandering first. Maybe healthcare access (esp. addiction rehab), paid leave, free daycare, and poverty reduction might be on the menu? If not, I think PA will go to the GOP in 2020 on "guns" alone.
Most of that costs money...repealing rights is cheap.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 pm

And worthy of much chest thumping and media fawning. Would want to do the hard work that would actually solve problems...

featureless wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 pm

And worthy of much chest thumping and media fawning. Would want to do the hard work that would actually solve problems...
Yeah, it's not like these folks are getting paid to do a job they fought for. What was I thinking?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Yeah, it's not like these folks are getting paid to do a job they fought for. What was I thinking?
:lol:

Pittsburgh City Council Takes Final Vote, Passes Controversial Gun Legislation
Council members voted 6-3 to pass the bills. They now head to Democratic Mayor Bill Peduto for his expected signature.
The legislation will place restrictions on military-style assault weapons like the AR-15 rifle that authorities say was used in the Oct. 27 rampage at Tree of Life Synagogue in Squirrel Hill, which killed 11 people and wounded seven.
It also bans most uses of armor-piercing ammunition and high-capacity magazines, and allows the temporary seizure of guns from people who are determined to be a danger to themselves or others.
Pennsylvania has state preemption.
https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/L ... 0.061..HTM

Here we go:
PITTSBURGH SUED OVER ILLEGAL, ANTI-GUN ENACTMENTS
In the first action, ACSL filed a contempt petition and brief in support for numerous violations of a 1995 Court Order approving a Settlement Agreement between the City of Pittsburgh and ACSL, et al. The petition for contempt requests that the court fine and sanction the City of Pittsburgh, award attorney fees and costs, and hold the Mayor and Councilmembers severally and jointly liable for violating terms of a longstanding court order that required them to “abide by and adhere to Pennsylvania law.” As the City of Pittsburgh stipulated that the City’s Ordinance 30 of 1994 was preempted by 18 Pa.C.S. § 6120, as it regulated the use, possession and transfer of what the City classified as ‘assault weapons,’ ammunition and firearm accessories, ACSL contends that the City’s new gun control laws clearly and unequivocally violate the Settlement Agreement and Court Order.

A second action, brought by FOAC, FPC, FPF, and several individuals, in a 407 paragraph, 94 page Complaint, seeks declaratory and injunctive relief against the City of Pittsburgh, Mayor Peduto and the individual City Councilmembers that voted in favor of the anti-gun enactments. The Complaint, spanning 16 counts, includes counts for numerous violations of everything from the Pennsylvania Constitution to the Crimes Code to failure to comply with the City Home Rule Charter and City Council Rules.

It is unfortunate that City’s taxpayers will be burdened by the City’s elected officials believing it is acceptable – and even gloating – that they are violating the Pennsylvania Constitution and Crimes Code.

BREAKING: PA Judge Issues Stay Blocking Illegal Pittsburgh Gun Laws
Hizzoner’s goal was to get the state’s Supreme Court to invalidate the preemption law by picking a legal fight.

As soon as Peduto signed the local laws, the city and council members were sued. Three times, to be precise.

Now, as the Post-Gazette is reporting, things are proceeding just as Peduto envisioned.

BREAKING: Court Blocks Pittsburgh, PA Gun Control Scheme in Lawsuit Brought by FPC, FPF, FOAC, and 3 Gun Owners
PITTSBURGH, PA (October 29, 2019) — Today, Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) announced a victory in its case against the City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Mayor Bill Peduto. FPC was joined by co-plaintiffs Firearm Owners Against Crime (FOAC), Firearms Policy Foundation (FPF), and three individual gun owners. The plaintiffs were represented by Joshua Prince of Civil Rights Defense Firm, P.C. The opinion and order issued by Judge Joseph M. James, holding that “Ordinances 2018-1218, 2018-1219, 2018-1220 are void and unenforceable,” is available online at PittsburghCase.com.

“I am delighted that Judge James’ decision today appropriately struck down the City of Pittsburgh’s unlawful firearm ordinances and signage,” said attorney Joshua Prince. “The City’s gun control sought to eviscerate the inviolate right of the residents of the Commonwealth to keep and bear arms and ensnare law-abiding citizens through a patchwork of laws. Today, Judge James made clear that Mayor Peduto and the Pittsburgh City Council are neither above the law nor a special class of citizens that may violate the law with impunity.”

“We look forward to Judge James issuing a decision on Allegheny County Sportsmen’s League’s contempt petition against the City of Pittsburgh and District Attorney Zappala filing criminal charges against Mayor Peduto and the City Council Members who enacted these illegal ordinances,” Prince concluded.
So, per Prince:
Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto and Allegheny Co Chief Executive Officer Fitzgerald Disgustingly Conspiring to Unseat Judge James for Pittsburgh Decision
I was just informed that Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto and Allegheny County Chief Executive Rich Fitzgerald are conspiring to unseat Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas Judge Joseph M. James because of his decision this week ruling – consistent with Article 1, Section 21 of the Pennsylvania Constitution and the binding precedent – that the City of Pittsburgh’s firearm ordinances were unlawful.

Apparently, Mayor Peduto and Chief Executive Fitzgerald will be filing a frivolous ethics complaint and taking other action against Judge James, in a disgusting attempt to unseat him, for upholding the Pennsylvania Constitution and binding precedent, even after Mayor Peduto, on December 14, 2018, acknowledged publicly that the City of Pittsburgh lacked the legal authority to enact Ordinances 2018-1218, 2018-1219, and 2018-1220. Likewise, on January 7, 2019, City Councilwoman Strassburger declared
My council colleagues and the mayor and I are aware of the state laws that are on the books, and we happen to strongly disagree with them [referring to Pennsylvania’s preemption law prohibiting municipalities from regulating firearms]. If there’s not political will to make change, we’re ready and willing to make changes through the court system