Re: Food and gas prices expected to rise 6 to 9 percent.

OMG...
Reading this old thread of just a year ago has made me realize how much has changed due to Putin’s war on the world.

Gas prices soaring past $6 per gal here in CA.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... ar-AAXtJBT
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:38 pm Price for Regular at the cheapest Costco nearby in L.A. is now up to $3.35 so gotta luv my 17 y/o 48mpg Prius...
Costco here is $4.10 for regular. We are happy with our hybrid RAV4s at 41 mpg
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

4.49/ gallon here In SW ohio. I’ve given up on driving my F-250 anywhere, and exclusively driving my Ford focus which gets mid-high 30s. Unfortunately, my oldest son gets his DL next week and needs the focus for work this summer. Thankfully, I’m only driving into the office 1-2X a week. We’ll try and limit our trips around town. We decided against a trip to SoDAK and are going to Mi instead —- I calculated $4k In gas pulling a camper & secondary vehicle. When I booked the campground it was $2/gallon.

However as a family of 7 it’s the grocery bill that’s killing us more. I make a decent living and I feel squeezed with meat 2-3X the price.

I think we are headed for “stagflation” which means I won’t buy anything if I don’t have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$6.29 at the local station. We fill up my wife's Forester about every other month or less. The ranch truck gets gas about twice a year. The Bolt gets the majority of our driving.

Our house is entirely electric (minus the wood stove that saved our finances over the winter). I really need to get on the solar thing. Still, even with all electric and an EV, our PG&E is only around $325 a month over the winter (that's with one small mini split set at 68 running all winter downstairs). Summer will be higher when the heat kicks in. We're good with window ventilation to about 95. Then we cry mercy and turn on the AC.

Food prices are horrible.

The stock market is gross. Need to stop looking at it.

Now Do Windfall Tax, Say Climate Groups After Passage of Big Oil Price Gouging Bill

While cheering U.S. House Democrats for passing a bill aimed at curbing Big Oil profiteering, progressive politicians and activists on Thursday pushed Congress to go even further and pass legislation imposing a windfall tax on fossil fuel corporations raking in record profits at the expense of consumers and the climate.

House lawmakers passed H.R. 7688, the Consumer Fuel Price Gouging Prevention Act, a measure introduced by Reps. Kim Schrier (D-Wash.) and Katie Porter (D-Calif.) empowering the Federal Trade Commission to hold energy companies accountable for charging "unconscionably excessive" fuel prices.

The bill passed by a vote of 217-207 without the support of a single Republican. Four Democrats—Lizzie Fletcher (Texas), Jared Golden (Maine), Stephanie Murphy (Fla.), and Kathleen Rice (N.Y.)—voted against the measure.

"The oil and gas industry has shamelessly sought to use the cover of inflation and international conflict to jack up prices and enrich their executives and investors while American families face skyrocketing energy costs," Sierra Club deputy legislative director Mahyar Sorour said in a statement.

"We applaud House Democrats for pushing forward this critical legislation to hold Big Oil accountable and protect communities from fossil fuel industry greed," she added, "and we urge the Senate to pass this legislation and send it to the president's desk."

Calling the House vote "a great start," Oil Change International U.S. program manager Collin Rees asserted that "Big Oil is gouging working families at the gas pump, and it's critical to hold these companies accountable for their exploitative practices."

Jordan Schreiber, director of energy and environment at the watchdog group Accountable.US noted that "oil and gas giants like Halliburton admit it's in their best interest to create a perpetual threat of undersupply to keep consumer prices high and their insane profits rolling in."

"It is time for Congress to hold the oil and gas industry accountable for its reckless price gouging and profiteering," she added.

The best way to accomplish this, say progressive lawmakers and campaigners, is to pass windfall profits tax legislation recently introduced in the House by Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) and in the upper chamber by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.).

Under the measure, oil companies that produce or import at least 300,000 barrels of oil per day would face a per-barrel tax—whether the oil is domestically produced or imported—equal to 50% of the difference between the current price of a barrel of oil and the average price per barrel between 2015 and 2019.

Rees argued that "enhanced investigatory powers won't be enough to stem Big Oil's greed and stop its exploitation," and that "the House must move rapidly to tax the fossil fuel industry's record windfall profits."

"Voters will reward politicians who stand up for people, not polluters, and taxing windfall profits is wildly popular in every part of the country," he added. Recent polling showed 80% of U.S. voters, including 73% of Republicans, support the tax.

Noting that "Shell, Exxon, and Chevron made over $20 billion in combined profit during the first three months of 2022 while they gouged us at the pump," Greenpeace USA senior climate campaigner Ashley Thomson accused Big Oil of "passing its costs on to families, its workers, and communities, while hoarding profits for CEOs and shareholders."

"It's time for the exploitation of our planet and pockets to end," added Thomson. "A windfall profits tax would prioritize the well-being of people over the fossil fuel industry's war profiteering, pollution, and planetary destruction."

Our work is licensed under Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0). Feel free to republish and share widely.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022 ... uging-bill

This is another act of futility, as we know the GOPathetic party and Sen. Manchild will never even let it come to a vote.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

featureless wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:33 pm $6.29 at the local station. We fill up my wife's Forester about every other month or less. The ranch truck gets gas about twice a year. The Bolt gets the majority of our driving.

Our house is entirely electric (minus the wood stove that saved our finances over the winter). I really need to get on the solar thing. Still, even with all electric and an EV, our PG&E is only around $325 a month over the winter (that's with one small mini split set at 68 running all winter downstairs). Summer will be higher when the heat kicks in. We're good with window ventilation to about 95. Then we cry mercy and turn on the AC.

Food prices are horrible.

The stock market is gross. Need to stop looking at it.

About once a week I top my cars tank off, paid $5.27 a gal for regular at an ARCO. The high end brands: Chevron, Mobil, Union 76, Shell, Sinclair...are all over $6.00 a gal for regular. The weather has been nice so I haven't used the heater since March and haven't turned on the A/C even though last weekend was in the mid 90s. The summer heat is coming and that means electrical bills of $200-$300 per month. My heater and stove are natural gas.

I've been tracking the price of canned chicken which started at about $1.15 a can and is now close to $2.00 a can, it's a good time to be dieting.

The topsy-turvy world of the stock market, depressing.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bisbee wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:34 pm OMG...
Reading this old thread of just a year ago has made me realize how much has changed due to Putin’s war on the world.

Gas prices soaring past $6 per gal here in CA.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... ar-AAXtJBT
BIG chunk on approved oil and gas leases not being used. Oil companies are worried about the future price of oil so they continue to short produce about 6 million barrels a day(as compared to pre covid). War in Ukraine has upset the market but that oil plus any pipeline cancellation doesn't make the price of gas go up. BIG demand, oil producing companies(here and abroad) keeping supply low..making HUGE profits. Why the oil industry is still subsidized is beyond me.

I dunno man, that might be the cost of doing business... “Happy wife happy life,” as they say. I wouldn’t touch the weekly drives with a 10’ pole but rather smile and grit your teeth while enjoying the scenery. “Look honey, a cow,” and all that. Or if she likes to drive alone maybe consider putting the toilet seat down and picking up the old socks and putting them in the hamper more often.

Oh, but do try this:
“Honey I took the liberty to fill the tank for you since I noticed it was getting low,” and conveniently leave the gas charge receipt in the cup-holder near the handbrake for her to read.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:26 pm I dunno man, that might be the cost of doing business... “Happy wife happy life,” as they say. I wouldn’t touch the weekly drives with a 10’ pole but rather smile and grit your teeth while enjoying the scenery. “Look honey, a cow,” and all that. Or if she likes to drive alone maybe consider putting the toilet seat down and picking up the old socks and putting them in the hamper more often.

Oh, but do try this:
“Honey I took the liberty to fill the tank for you since I noticed it was getting low,” and conveniently leave the gas charge receipt in the cup-holder near the handbrake for her to read.
Ditto on the happy wife.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Roughly $4.50 here in NJ. Used to paying these kinds of prices down in Abaco, where it's now well over $6 bucks.
While it looks bad for Biden the real cause is, of course, the fucked-up econ policies of Trump and the ReThugs, especially the pandemic. The deaths rival some of the worst genocidal maniacs and that is what was the major disrupter of the economy. While 400K deaths occurred under Trump's last year, and over 600k during Biden's first 16 months, when compared to the number of infections, the death rate per case is far, far reduced:
TotalCovidCasesUSA5-21-22.JPG
DailyCovidDeathsUSA-5-21-22.JPG
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Sun May 22, 2022 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

sikacz wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:51 am
Bisbee wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:26 pm I dunno man, that might be the cost of doing business... “Happy wife happy life,” as they say. I wouldn’t touch the weekly drives with a 10’ pole but rather smile and grit your teeth while enjoying the scenery. “Look honey, a cow,” and all that. Or if she likes to drive alone maybe consider putting the toilet seat down and picking up the old socks and putting them in the hamper more often.

Oh, but do try this:
Ditto on the happy wife.

The fictional barrister Horace Rumpole always referred to his wife Hilda as "she who must be obeyed".
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Here in on the Central Coast of Cali it costs 50 bucks to fill my Prius, which I now drive exclusively as it costs 140 per week to keep my truck running. Gas is 6.09 for the "cheap" stuff. I'm the only guy on the jobsite with a Prius but at least I can park in the little spots where the trucks won't fit...
I went out for a rare dinner at a restaurant last night with some out of town friends and a pint of local beer (all they had on tap) was 8.50! Is local beer made with oil? It sure tasted like it, unfortunately.
Give me back my Yamaha XS650 and a Coors Light, man.
Crow.
Minute Of Average

Here in CA, gas and food have always been way above average. $5.66 a gal near me, food prices up just a tad. No more Tundra, I drive my Civic everywhere now.

A few words/observations for you guys:

This amping up of violence, and the increased damage that can be done in this country makes me want to stay and work from home semi-permanently, not participate in any kind of events or gatherings, or even go to the supermarket very often. I know I'm not alone.

This should concern everyone, because it's really going to dampen people's spending habits, things are expensive enough as it is, and it has encouraged more people to do as I do: stay at home, spend less money, and keep to yourself.

Nothing is safe, not church, not concerts, they're all places for some wacko to go off.

The best defense is to simply stay home in these times. Plenty of hobbies and things to learn. I'm trying to learn a second language so I can teach abroad.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant :P

Well, that’s one perspective from the outbacks. It’s not wrong per se but it’s also not 100% accurate.

Here in the heart of Los Angeles near OC church shooting, life continues even as random violence and petty crimes may continue to rise along with increasing economic pressures on the average population. Yes, watching the news may make you want to barricade the doors and continue to get your cocoa-puffs delivered via Amazon. But really that’s just not how life is. Life is 70 degrees and sunny at the end of May in Los Angeles. It is people finding new love or purpose in mid-life and making new realizations about their life’s journey. It is also about coming to terms with what is really important and dropping the cultural fears that parents and society instilled in you from birth. While a pandemic and economic inequalities may make people fear for the future, I believe they are also the motivators for making the leap to knowing more about our potentials beyond mere survival and pursing shiny bobbles.

Meh, my 2 cents.

Bisbee wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:36 am Well, that’s one perspective from the outbacks. It’s not wrong per se but it’s also not 100% accurate.

Here in the heart of Los Angeles near OC church shooting, life continues even as random violence and petty crimes may continue to rise along with increasing economic pressures on the average population. Yes, watching the news may make you want to barricade the doors and continue to get your cocoa-puffs delivered via Amazon. But really that’s just not how life is. Life is 70 degrees and sunny at the end of May in Los Angeles. It is people finding new love or purpose in mid-life and making new realizations about their life’s journey. It is also about coming to terms with what is really important and dropping the cultural fears that parents and society instilled in you from birth. While a pandemic and economic inequalities may make people fear for the future, I believe they are also the motivators for making the leap to knowing more about our potentials beyond mere survival and pursing shiny bobbles.

Meh, my 2 cents.
That's really nice, I appreciate this. The GQP has mutated the world upside-down, ruined it Bizarro World. They're terrible at parties, sucking all the fun out of the room.

FDR was right about one thing, "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself."

sig230 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:59 pm
highdesert wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:33 am The fictional barrister Horace Rumpole always referred to his wife Hilda as "she who must be obeyed".
Rumpole is fictitious?
LOL, the actor Leo McKern made him very human using the words of the writer John Mortimer who was a real barrister. A great series, it's due for a remake.