Re: Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Native tribes aren't subject to state governments, only to the federal government. I can see a case of OK vs XYZ Tribe about that tribe's legalization of abortion ending up at SCOTUS.
https://www.ncsl.org/legislators-staff/ ... ignty.aspx

Ten states with the largest Native populations.
https://www.powwows.com/here-are-the-10 ... .%20state.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I watched an interview with Ricketts, perhaps the CNN one, and he started sounding like my idea of a "sane Republican" for the first few questions.

Then he showed himself to be a true GOP monster. Rape victims have enough trouble already--ours is a rape culture, that disbelieves rape victims and mollycoddles rapists by the score (witness the paucity of rape victims even filing charges because the metaphorical deck is stacked against them). To further violate them by forcing them to carry a pregnancy that resulted from rape to term is, at best, inhumane.

Ricketts doesn't understand autonomy at all. I wish I could come up with a way to make the concept crystal clear to him.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

The Pew poll found support for abortion highest among those ages 18-29 (67% believe should be legal), compared with 61% of those 30-49, 53% of those ages 50-64 and 55% of those ages 65 and up.
All In Together’s poll, conducted in September with Lake Research and Emerson College Polling, found 36% of those with children in their house opposed the Texas near-total abortion ban versus 54.9% without kids, and the Post/ABC poll similarly found 58% of parents want the Supreme Court to uphold Roe v. Wade versus 62% of non-parents.
Support rises with income level: The Post/ABC poll found 59% of those earning less than $50,000 per year wanting the court to uphold the law versus 62% of those making between $50,000-$100,000 and 65% of those earning more than $100,000.
While support for whether abortion should be legal has remained relatively stable since 1995, the share of Americans identifying as “pro-choice” or “pro-life” has not. Gallup found 49% of Americans now identify as pro-choice and 47% as pro-life, as compared with 56% and 33% who said the same in 1995, respectively. Though at least a plurality of Americans have always supported abortion being legal in at least some circumstances, more respondents actually identified as pro-life than pro-choice in 2019, 2013, 2012, 2010 and 2009.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk ... 268e637ac1
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CDFingers wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:15 am Let's not post entire articles. That might cause legal liability to the Liberal Gun Club. Not good. Post excerpts.

CDFingers
I posted four paragraphs/snips, the article is much longer and people can read the full article if they want.

Supreme Court officials are escalating their search for the source of the leaked draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade, taking steps to require law clerks to provide cell phone records and sign affidavits, three sources with knowledge of the efforts have told CNN. Some clerks are apparently so alarmed over the moves, particularly the sudden requests for private cell data, that they have begun exploring whether to hire outside counsel.
"That's what similarly situated individuals would do in virtually any other government investigation," said one appellate lawyer with experience in investigations and knowledge of the new demands on law clerks. "It would be hypocritical for the Supreme Court to prevent its own employees from taking advantage of that fundamental legal protection." Sources familiar with efforts underway say the exact language of the affidavits or the intended scope of that cell phone search -- content or time period covered -- is not yet clear.
The young lawyers selected to be law clerks each year are regarded as the elite of the elite. (Each justice typically hires four.) They are overwhelmingly graduates of Ivy League law schools and have had prior clerkships with prominent US appellate court judges.

Their one-year service becomes a golden ticket to prestigious law firms, top government jobs or professorships. Six of the current nine Supreme Court justices are former clerks. The escalating scrutiny of law clerks reflects Roberts' concerns about the breach in confidentiality and possibly further leaks. It also suggests the court has been so far unsuccessful in determining Politico's source.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/31/politics ... index.html