CA governor reveals $97.5 billion budget surplus.

California is entering the next budget year with a record-smashing surplus of nearly $100 billion, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Friday.

Newsom unveiled a revised budget plan of just over $300 billion for the next fiscal year, the highest in state history and fueled by surging tax revenues. The state has collected $55 billion more in taxes than officials expected in January, leaving it with an estimated $97.5 billion surplus.

That means Newsom, a Democrat, has tens of billions of dollars more to spend on new and existing initiatives as he seeks re-election in the fall. He plans additional spending to tackle the ongoing drought, to help more women get abortions in California and to offset rising costs of food, gas and other goods due to inflation.

He’ll have to reach agreement with the Democratic-led legislature on all of his proposals. They have until the end of June to finalize the budget, which takes effect July 1.

Newsom said one of his top budget priorities is providing Californians relief from inflation.

“People are feeling deep stress, deep anxiety,” he said.

He’s proposed giving $400 checks to registered car owners in the state, with up to two checks per person. That would cost the state about $11.5 billion, he said. Though the money would only go to car owners, Newsom said it should be considered “inflation refund and relief.”

“For you, it could be a rebate to address the issue of groceries, it could be a rebate to address the other cost burdens that are placed on you,” he said.

Democratic lawmakers, though, have a different idea on how to provide relief. They want to give $200 checks only to those below a certain income level.

Republicans, meanwhile, say rather than a check Newsom should suspend the state’s highest-in-the nation gas tax for one year. They’ve also asked him to increase a tax credit for renters and offer new tax credits to students.

“Senate Republicans believe there is a better way to invest in the state,” said Sen. Rosilicie Ochoa Bogh of Yucaipa.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... -rcna28758

I agree with suspending the state's gas tax for a year. Or return most of that money to state tax payers.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: CA governor reveals $97.5 billion budget surplus.

I'd love to see a high speed rail system here connecting Tucson to Phoenix and then LA and up the coast. I would visit my grand kids in Phoenix more often.
It makes more sense for us in the states since we are more spread out than other European countries.
And get that thing solar powered too!
America is so far behind in mass transportation it's stupid.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

CDFingers wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:42 am Don't outlaw lawns. Charge people triple to have them. Winning. Golf courses? Twenty five times higher than a non lawn rate.

CDFingers
SATX hasn't outlawed lawns, but they penalize the hell out of water users cost wise. Near all, if not all, municipal golf courses must use grey water from city sewage plants. Not sure about private courses. I have large front and backyards with some St. Augustine, mixed in with Bermuda, a few bare spots and many odd and end weeds, including Johnson grass. They depend entirely on nature to survive as I do not water anything other than herb gardens and an avocado tree I started from seed that keeps dying back every winter. I expect the avocado tree to bear fruit for future generations at about the same time we have Gulf front beaches in southern SATX. :yikes:
Our sole water source is the Edwards aquifer, which we pay large sums to others to pump water from a distance (lake and other aquifers) into our aquifer, plus building many sump areas to retain runoff water and allow it to leech into underground source. I also expect that cleaned sewage water is also pumped into aquifer, although I've heard no.
Lawns or no, Cali should have begun desalination plants long, long, long ago, as with any state with a long coast line should be doing. Texas included, but our state government would rather punish LGBTQ, women and immigrants, restrict voting and generally shit on their citizens. SIGH!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino, How much of the Edwards Aquifer is being drained by the oil companies fracking wells in west Texas? According to the USGS
Water use per well can be anywhere from about 1.5 million gallons to about 16 million gallons.
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-much-wat ... ll-require

Thats a lot of yards and swimming pools.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:34 am Wino, How much of the Edwards Aquifer is being drained by the oil companies fracking wells in west Texas? According to the USGS
Water use per well can be anywhere from about 1.5 million gallons to about 16 million gallons.
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-much-wat ... ll-require

Thats a lot of yards and swimming pools.
I'd guess a minimal amount based on aquifer map - https://www.edwardsaquifer.org/science-maps/maps/ - the fracing is much further south to east (Eagle Ford) and west (Permian Basin) to effectively use our aquifer.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Newsom's own fault he lost that vote, he and the legislature have appointed the wrong people. The Coastal Commission has done some good things protecting the CA coast from private developers, but it's become dominated by environmentalists who want nothing on the coasts. This isn't over.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'm all for environmental concerns, but this is insane.

SATX has a desalinization plant for brackish water from other aquifers. I think Austin may have one also or plan on one for Edwards brackish water. I'm happy with our city owned water system. We have also been fortunate to have had many forward thinking city government (mostly liberal, with a few righties as mayors, but not RWN's). The city has done a good job of insuring we have water for the future. The following vid is informative regarding our plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYEs_aFODc

This in addition to financially punishing big water users.

Sorry to OP - didn't mean to side track this thread, but that money Cali has should be put to good use and water couldn't be a better one than any other.

Tucson has been way ahead of any progressive water use and storage city in the nation.
People should be doing xeroscapes and gravel like we have for decades.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/water/cavsarp

Tucson Arizona
The Central Avra Valley Storage and Recovery Project (CAVSARP) is located near the intersection of Sandario Road and Mile Wide Road west of Tucson in Avra Valley. The City of Tucson purchased this land in the 1970s with the intent of retiring the property from agricultural use.

In the mid-1990s, Tucson Water began pilot testing for underground storage in Avra Valley of Colorado River water transported to Tucson via the Central Arizona Project (CAP) canal. The full-scale CAVSARP facility was completed in 2003.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

On long term job in Superior, AZ. circa mid 70's - spent a lot of time in Phoenix area - xeriscape was the THING there then, as it is now. Even in El Paso, TX early 70's as were swamp coolers. It is becoming popular in SATX also as water costs climb. A few in my sub-division have moved to it and I expect more. Some have even gone to native plants in front yard that are drought resistant, to the chagrin of our non-membership required HOA - think Big Ben desert landscape. LOL

I'm a hopeless cacti/succulent enthusiast.. About as much as guns.
The wife hates cactus. Nothing prettier than a succulent bloom i tell her. And hardly any water.
I've planted 10 mesquite trees plus a desert willow and some citrus.
Agaves are my real crutch.
The deal with the wife is she decorates the inside of the house and I get th e outside.

Wino wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:18 pm On long term job in Superior, AZ. circa mid 70's - spent a lot of time in Phoenix area - xeriscape was the THING there then, as it is now. Even in El Paso, TX early 70's as were swamp coolers. It is becoming popular in SATX also as water costs climb. A few in my sub-division have moved to it and I expect more. Some have even gone to native plants in front yard that are drought resistant, to the chagrin of our non-membership required HOA - think Big Ben desert landscape. LOL
Nothing wrong with Big Ben ecosystem, I rather like it myself. I’m for whatever is naturally appropriate. I simply don’t understand trying to make semi-arid or desert regions look like the English countryside.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.