Re: pocket pistol recoil

My pocket pistols are all loaded with Underwood Xtreme Defender rounds. I tend to carry smaller calibers for low recoil/quicker target re-aquisition; expanding ammo for these calibers is a waste of money.

Taurus TCP732, .32acp, a sweeeet shooter that winds up being my most-carried ccw. Didn't catch on; wish I'd bought a second one.

Taurus TCP738 - .380 - I thought I'd like it as much as the 732, but I don't. It is less objectionable, however, with the Underwood loads.

Beretta 3032 Inox Tomcat - .32acp Having the tip-up barrel means my wife, who I swear to god can't rack the slide on ANY semi-auto pistol including the two above, can put it into battery without handing it to me. She doesn't carry, but this is one she could. Her nightstand gun, which would also make a dandy pocket carry pistol, is a Charter revolver in .32H&R Mag.

I have a Beretta 81BB and a CZ70 in .32acp, but not for pocket carry.

I do pocket-carry a P-64 9x18 once in a while just for something different. Fluted ammo in that one too.
"A gun is a tool, Marion, no better or worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything." - Alan Ladd, as Shane

I rented a Ruger LCP 2 380 today(the only pocket pistol they had for rent) and I actually shot it pretty good and didn’t find the recoil to be as bad as I thought it would be. With a Hogue grip sleeve I suspect it would be pleasant enough to shoot 100-200 rounds through at a range session. But I would feel more comfortable with a manual safety or a DA/SA or DAO so I’ll probably go with a Smith Bodyguard 380.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:01 am One of the guys at work has the same pistol. It’s a pretty nice shooter for a .380; much nicer than my Keltec. You picked a winner & the engraving makes it even cooler.
Cool cool. With the Hogue grip sleeve I’m expecting it to be a nice shooter assuming it reliably feeds and ejects although it doubt I’ll be a good shot with it even slow firing. I was more interested in the Remington RM380 for awhile there but this one makes a lot more sense.

Finally took the Bodyguard 380 to the range today. Relative to a small DAO revolver I shot it okay but my wrist didn’t like it even with the grip sleeve. Straight back wrist pain even with a tight 2 handed grip. Tried 3 different brands of ammo. Had a few light strikes with the Fiocchi Blue Guardian HP. About half the time the last round wouldn’t chamber properly with all of the ammo. Fired about 75 rounds. Not enjoyable. Will see how my hand and wrist feel in the coming days. There are no lead free primer ammo options for 32 acp but if this gun was chambered in that caliber it would be much more pleasant to shoot assuming it wasn’t blowback.

UncleJon wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:54 pm I rented a Ruger LCP 2 380 today(the only pocket pistol they had for rent) and I actually shot it pretty good and didn’t find the recoil to be as bad as I thought it would be. With a Hogue grip sleeve I suspect it would be pleasant enough to shoot 100-200 rounds through at a range session. But I would feel more comfortable with a manual safety or a DA/SA or DAO so I’ll probably go with a Smith Bodyguard 380.
Yikes, I owned a LCP, second gen of first model(better sights) and I couldn't even imagine putting 100 rounds thru it, let alone 200..and it DID have a Hogue sleeve.
I know it's a YMMV and all that but mine really sucked to shoot..sold it. Now carry a Glock 42 most of the time. Seems the 'goldilock's of 380...FOR ME..not too small but small enough and a joy to shoot..plus 100% reliable thru about 3000 rounds.
Last edited by F4FEver on Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

F4FEver wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:18 am
Yikes, I owned a LCP, second gen of first model(better sights) and I couldn't even imagine putting 100 rounds thru it, let alone 2..and it DID have a Hogue sleeve.
I know it's a YMMV and all that but mine really sucked to shoot..sold it. Now carry a Glock 42 most of the time. Seems the 'goldilock's of 380...FOR ME..not too small but small enough and a joy to shoot..plus 100% reliable thru about 3000 rounds.
You would probably find the LCP 2 to be more gentle than the original.
I’m curious about the 42 but it’s pretty big for a pocket gun and I prefer true DA or a manual safety.

UncleJon wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:26 pm Finally took the Bodyguard 380 to the range today. Relative to a small DAO revolver I shot it okay but my wrist didn’t like it even with the grip sleeve. Straight back wrist pain even with a tight 2 handed grip. Tried 3 different brands of ammo. [vimeo]Had a few light strikes with the Fiocchi Blue Guardian HP. About half the time the last round wouldn’t chamber properly with all of the ammo.[/vimeo] Fired about 75 rounds. Not enjoyable. Will see how my hand and wrist feel in the coming days. There are no lead free primer ammo options for 32 acp but if this gun was chambered in that caliber it would be much more pleasant to shoot assuming it wasn’t blowback.
That kinda rules it out as a carry weapon, doesn't it?

F4FEver wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:08 am
UncleJon wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:26 pm Finally took the Bodyguard 380 to the range today. Relative to a small DAO revolver I shot it okay but my wrist didn’t like it even with the grip sleeve. Straight back wrist pain even with a tight 2 handed grip. Tried 3 different brands of ammo. [vimeo]Had a few light strikes with the Fiocchi Blue Guardian HP. About half the time the last round wouldn’t chamber properly with all of the ammo.[/vimeo] Fired about 75 rounds. Not enjoyable. Will see how my hand and wrist feel in the coming days. There are no lead free primer ammo options for 32 acp but if this gun was chambered in that caliber it would be much more pleasant to shoot assuming it wasn’t blowback.
If it still does that after the break in period yes.

UncleJon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:04 pm
F4FEver wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:08 am
If it still does that after the break in period yes.
Just a note from a S&W forum about the BG380..from 2019...Dude was having the same issues...
What revision is your Bodyguard? A good indication is the stamping on the magazines. 1, 2, and 3 are the revision numbers I am aware of. If it's anything but "3", get in touch with S&W and they will update the firearm for you at no cost (minus shipping).

F4FEver wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:49 am Just a note from a S&W forum about the BG380..from 2019...Dude was having the same issues...
What revision is your Bodyguard? A good indication is the stamping on the magazines. 1, 2, and 3 are the revision numbers I am aware of. If it's anything but "3", get in touch with S&W and they will update the firearm for you at no cost (minus shipping).
Interesting. I carefully examined my mags and found no numbers other than the ones that indicate round count.

jschmidt wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:34 pm It's a good idea to do strength training for your hands if you want to have control of a subcompact that shoots bigger than a .32. It'll tame a lot of short barrel demons.
YUP, but 'some' of us due to age, injury or both, that really won't help..
-Poorly repaired dislocated RH thumb(thanks USN docs)
-arthritis in RH wrist
-trigger finger RH ring finger
-non repairable tendon in RH pinkie finger...

So, I have given up on any gun that 'sux to shoot'....Ruger LCP and LC-9s, Glock 43...
Now-Glock 42, Glock 48, Glock 17..those are 'dreamy' even for my crappy RH hand/wrist/fingers

jschmidt wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:34 pm It's a good idea to do strength training for your hands if you want to have control of a subcompact that shoots bigger than a .32. It'll tame a lot of short barrel demons.
Excellent advice, and 32ACP users beware of "Rim Lock" where one semi-rimmed cartridge can "jump" over another in the mag and lock it up, especially when jostled around in a pocket or holster during the course of a day/evening etc.

Rim Lock is NOT GOOD for self-defense (or anything else LOL!), as you have to remove and clear the mag to return functionality.

Best to use the longest OAL ammo you can etc...

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/rimlock.htm
Last edited by DJD100 on Fri May 13, 2022 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJD100 wrote:
Excellent advice, and 32ACP users beware of "Rim Lock" where one rimmed cartridge can "jump" over another in the mag and lock it up, especially when jostled around in a pocket or holster during the course of a day/evening etc.

Rim Lock is NOT GOOD for self-defense (or anything else LOL!), as you have to remove and clear the mag to return functionality.

That’s a good read. I don’t carry a .32 ACP for self defense, but you never know. The one I have is an absolute pleasure to shoot.

I could see something like a Beretta tomcat working for me if I become more recoil sensitive & have a grip strength reduction over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJD100 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:08 pm
Excellent advice, and 32ACP users beware of "Rim Lock" where one semi-rimmed cartridge can "jump" over another in the mag and lock it up, especially when jostled around in a pocket or holster during the course of a day/evening etc.

Yes it’s definitely real, experienced it with hollowpoints in a Keltec P32 at the range because they are shorter than FMJ.