Would you shoot an LGC paper handgun silhouette match this summer?

Poll ended at Tue May 03, 2022 12:20 am You may select 1 option

Yes
Total votes: 5 (63%)
No (No votes)
Maybe
Total votes: 3 (38%)
Total votes: 8

Paper handgun Field Pistol silhouette Match 2022

Any interest in shooting a paper silhouette match again this year, modeled on the IHMSA Field Pistol event? Read over the attached rules, and dispute my system for scaling the targets within the next few days, if needed.

Not as fun as actually ringing steel, but almost as frustrating.

Rules and targets have been reposted in comment #27 since these original version were deleted for some reason.
LGC PHS match rules 2022.pdf
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Field Pistol - 25 yard chicken and pig.pdf
(45.2 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Field Pistol - 25 yard turkey and ram.pdf
(23.26 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by Buck13 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Re: Paper handgun Field Pistol silhouette Match 2022

The outdoor range to get 25 yards is a fur piece from town. The indoor range in town is where I can get 15 yards. I'll do some checking, but I think I'll have to use the scaled down target for 15 yards. Looking forward to scheduling a shoot. Sometimes very difficult due to schedule. Watch this space.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Sure, I'm in. I'll get out the the range at least one more time before September, I can make it work. Someone has to bring up the bottom of the list to get the good shooters out to play. :lol: I don't have to shoot well to be able to use "I shoot competitively" to justify my hobby to people who don't.

I am a little curious about one bit of the rules - it doesn't impact me at all, I just don't understand it. Why exclude AR-style pistols? To use an example for our CZ fans, why is the Scorpion ok but the Bren is not? Other than muzzle velocity, is there some reason feeding from a magazine ahead of the grip would provide undue advantage for bottlenecked rounds? Does a mare's leg qualify?

wings wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:44 pm
I am a little curious about one bit of the rules - it doesn't impact me at all, I just don't understand it. Why exclude AR-style pistols? To use an example for our CZ fans, why is the Scorpion ok but the Bren is not? Other than muzzle velocity, is there some reason feeding from a magazine ahead of the grip would provide undue advantage for bottlenecked rounds? Does a mare's leg qualify?
Can’t quite remember why I put that in the rules for the first round three years ago. Probably just because I find them needlessly loud and unpleasant to have in a nearby lane. Also shooting with an arm brace seems like cheating.

Buck13 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:36 pm
wings wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:44 pm
Can’t quite remember why I put that in the rules for the first round three years ago. Probably just because I find them needlessly loud and unpleasant to have in a nearby lane. Also shooting with an arm brace seems like cheating.
I thought braces were already covered by the rule about only making contact with the gun with your hands? Lucky Gunner had a piece a while back on using certain pistol designs as a "cheek pistol" even without a brace. Wait, here's the link -
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the- ... get-weird/

No braces or contact beyond the hands makes total sense. No artillery Lugers either. But I think those prohibitions cover what you want to cover without needing to further restrict firearm rights. :lol: Unless there's another concern about using a foregrip?

I totally get not wanting to shoot indoors next to a rifle-caliber pistol shooter.

wings wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:36 am
I thought braces were already covered by the rule about only making contact with the gun with your hands?
Litigious bunch here, aren't we?

Which is one of the things I like about this place! I was on my high school debate team, although I kinda sucked...
No braces or contact beyond the hands makes total sense. No artillery Lugers either. But I think those prohibitions cover what you want to cover without needing to further restrict firearm rights. :lol: Unless there's another concern about using a foregrip?
In Field Pistol, some weird grip strategies are typical, so I shouldn't discriminate against forearms. Look up "taco hold." I wasn't planning to try that, myself.
I totally get not wanting to shoot indoors next to a rifle-caliber pistol shooter.
I don't like them outdoors, either. Or 5.7 pistols. Also glad I've never met an S&W .460 at the range!

Artillery Luger, you say? One of my MkIIs comes close, but it doesn't have a stock...
MkIIs IMG_4339.jpg
Of course, it also doesn't have a price tag in the multiple thousands of dollars!

I'm shabby! But at least I scored on my first practice run. At least with the MkIV. A lot harder than ringing the small steel targets at 25, I'll tell you what.

An older gent caught me finishing off the last of my .45, since I still had some left and had not taken down the silhouettes yet. Immediately launched into the recruiting drive for the local SASS group. It was a good day for the .22 and not so good for the .45, and I was looking to get off the lane before I got charged for another hour, so I had to make my excuses. I guess everyone wants someone else to bring up the bottom of the list. :lol:

My spousal critter came down with a touch of the stage IV ovarian cancer at the end of May, so my already-crowded "to-do" list has had some fun new items added to it. It's likely that I won't be shooting this match, but I can still compile any results. Let's say we'll close it some time in October, to be announced...