Let's see and talk revolvers.

Hey all,

Most of us carry autos, but if you're like me you love revolvers. To me they're just fun and mechanically interesting as well as aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

So what are some of your favorites?

As most here know, I'm a Colt aficionado. So I'm happiest with a Colt revolver in my hands transferring lead from one end of the range to the other.
Last edited by FrontSight on Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: Let's see and talk revolvers.

In the Colt family I often carry either my Police Positive (38S&W) or my Army Special (38 spl). The former was made in 1926 while the later was from 1919.
Colt Army & Police Positive-small.jpg
The last few times I've had to shoot a qualifier though I chose to use my Colt Detective Special.
detective special factory stocks-small.jpg
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I love my Smith revolvers. But the only thing to write home about was an old Colt SAA I owned for a while but so pretty and expensive that I was afraid to shoot it. A friend of mine owned the same gun (also didn’t shoot his) but concurrently owned a New Vaquero that we slung lead with so often and had real fun with. I finally sold my Colt and bought the same Ruger. Mine was pretty (polished Stainless), and rugged, and also came with a convertible cylinder for shooting .45 ACP.
50E7BE98-5F0D-4E42-9B78-41E6230D12B4.jpeg
Did I mention how pretty it is?
Last edited by Bisbee on Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Attachments
6B018A28-9D87-44E3-BCB5-6C66C6D8A915.jpeg

“Just” my .38/.357 collection.

If I have to go down to just 2 it would be the S&W 66-3 and the Ruger SP-101 Because those get the most carry, woods time, and thus range time. 3rd most carried is the 642 - but that gets a cylinder or 2 at most - it’s not super fun to shoot. The one that has the best trigger is my 1981 S&W 586 “no dash.” Ruger Blackhawk also has a very crisp tigger but it’s too muzzle heavy - but great for heavy max .357s. My Taurus M82, .38 is a far nicer copy of a K-frame than you would imagine for a sub $300 pistol & the blueing is better than most S&Ws.

The only one I don’t really care for is the Cimarron. I don’t really care for the old colt SAA type sights, action & I don’t like that type of trigger - even though it is a very aesthetically pleasing gun.
My latest foray has been into .45 colt. Last year I scored a Blackhawk .45colt/.45 ACP combo. I really like the caliber & I have loaded it from anemic to stompy Elmer Kieth loads. This revolverhas excellent balance and shoots outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not expect single action revolvers to be so much fun to shoot. Still, here I am.

Someday, I want to dive into double action wheelguns. They have more personality than the bottom-feeders, in my book. Until the market gets more rational and my finances improve, I'm rocking a convertible Blackhawk in .45 with birdshead grips - the not-at-all-accurately nicknamed 'Carryhawk.' Seriously, don't try to CC this. OTOH, it is pretty light, shoots nicely, and does have a certain appeal for open carry.
Attachments
Lawman.jpg

ergo grip 640.JPG
ergo grip 640.JPG (21.28 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
This pro series S&W 640 was my first carry gun (which I later sold) Here it is with an ergo grip. I carried it with a conventional grip. Couldn't hit anything with that ergo grip. (or the regular one either)
edit: just realized that is a stock photo and not my 640, but it looks similar>

This is my 'baby'. S&W 331, 6 not 5 shot snubbie in 32 H&R magnum. It weighs 11 ounces, and I can actually hit the target with rapid fire.
S&W331.jpg
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hard to get pix, since my son's have most of them
Son #1-Ruger Vaquero, Colt Python, Colt detective Special, Ruger Wrangler
Son #2-S&W 686/7, Taurus snubbie(don't know the model)
Me-Uberti/Beretta Thunderer, RIA M200, Ruger Wrangler

Crappy pic of my Thunderer.
ouvboiufn.jpg
ouvboiufn.jpg (57.78 KiB) Viewed 6108 times

Bisbee wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:13 pm I love my Smith revolvers. But the only thing to write home about was an old Colt SAA I owned for a while but so pretty and expensive that I was afraid to shoot it. A friend of mine owned the same gun (also didn’t shoot his) but concurrently owned a New Vaquero that we slung lead with so often and had real fun with. I finally sold my Colt and bought the same Ruger. Mine was pretty (polished Stainless), and rugged, and also came with a convertible cylinder for shooting .45 ACP.

6B018A28-9D87-44E3-BCB5-6C66C6D8A915.jpeg

Did I mention how pretty it is?
That's a common problem, people buying a gun that's so pretty they're afraid to shoot it.
Life is short, buy what you want, shoot it and to hell with the value or anyone else's perceptions. Its your gun, enjoy it.

ALL of my Colt's get shot on a regular basis, with the exception of my 1849 Pocket; I haven't shot that one yet, but I will eventually.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

The most accurate revolver I have ever shot was a Taurus. Put 3 rounds into a .90" group at 100 yards. Thought it was a fluke, and it did it again. If it were anything but a long barreled cannon in .480 Ruger, I would have bought it on the spot.

Let's see and talk revolvers.

The other thing I’m an absolute goober about is lanyards for field pistols. Especially when kayaking or water-fowling. I like a positive retention device on a holster and a lanyard. Kayaking also presents the unique challenge that you really cannot use a typical belt holster and fit in the kayak bucket seat.

I just called hogue to get a lanyard ring screw for my wooden hogue grip. I much prefer rubbery, grippy, grips for shooting but I’ll compromise for a grip that incorporates a lanyard. I’m also going to order a new main spring housing with lanyard cut out for my 1911.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As promised, a little late, but here you go. Bond Arms 45LC/410, Ruger Wrangler 22LR, COlt Python 357, Ruger Security 6 357, S&W 610 10mm, Ruger Vaquero 45 LC, Chiappa Rhino 50DS 357, Chiappa Rhino 60DS 9mm, Taurus Raging Bull 44mag, S&W 460mag, Magnum Research BFR 30-30win.
Family Photo.JPG
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.