Re: How’s the weather

Gonna be messy in the south east. Here, we've got ten dry days forecast all at around 60 for the high and around 50 for the low, both uncharacteristically high, with night about ten degrees high and days about five degrees high from back in the day normals.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The winter storm treated some residents of the Florida Panhandle to rare snow flurries Sunday. The National Weather Service in Mobile, Alabama, tweeted a Pensacola, Florida, resident's video of flurries at his home and traces were reported in nearby Walnut Hill.

But the system brought much more dangerous conditions to southwest Florida, where at least two tornadoes destroyed at least 28 homes in Lee County and damaged others, officials said. At least 62 homes are currently "unlivable," said Cecil Pendergrass, cochairman of the county's board of commissioners, at a news conference. One twister was an EF2 tornado with maximum winds of 118 mph. It may have completely destroyed 30 mobile homes of the 108 mobile homes damaged near Fort Myers, according to a damage survey by the National Weather Service. Four injuries were reported, but no one was taken to a hospital, officials said.

In Charlotte County, north of Fort Myers, an EF1 tornado with winds of 110 mph left behind a path of destruction, according to the weather service. "A waterspout moved across Gasparilla sound near Boca Grande Causeway before then moving ashore as a short-lived tornado near Placida damaging at least 35 homes and a marina storage facility," the weather service said in a bulletin. No one was injured, but some residents have been displaced, the Charlotte County government
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/17/weather/ ... index.html

Yes, the Southeast is getting some extreme weather.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"Snowmageddon" for some is 1/4" of snow. We had something less than an inch of accumulation, with temperatures hovering just below the freezing point, which I consider barely worth mention (aside from having to do a light scrape of the car windows).

My dogs are almost six (Wilbur will turn six in a couple weeks, Orville a few months later), and have never seen more than an inch or two of snow at one time. They don't seem to attach any significance to it whatsoever.

They still want their walk every day, though. I put their coats on them just to be "that guy."

IMG_0798 (2).jpg
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

The US East Coast is bracing for a major blizzard to hit the region for the first time in four years.

The storm is forecast to stretch from the Carolinas to Maine, packing hurricane-force winds in coastal parts. Five states have declared emergencies.

Mayor Michelle Wu of Boston, a city that is no stranger to snowfall, said the storm could be "historic".

More than two feet of snow could fall in New England. Weather officials also warn of flooding near the coast.

Over 5,000 US flights were cancelled between Friday and Sunday, according to FlightAware.

Forecasters say there is a chance the storm, known as a Nor'easter, will blanket the Boston area with up to 2ft (61cm) of snow.

The current record of 27.6in (70cm) within 24 hours was set in 2003.

"Travel should be restricted to emergencies only," warned the National Weather Service (NWS) in Boston.

"If you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay with your vehicle."

The storm is expected to form off the coast of the Carolinas on Friday night, before moving up the coast on Saturday.

Winds are expected to strengthen, possibly reaching hurricane-level speeds, according to the NWS and Accuweather. A blizzard warning has been issued throughout the north-east, the first time such an alert has been issued since 2018.

The governors of New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Rhode Island and Virginia declared states of emergency, telling residents to stay off the roads for their own safety.

75 million people are in the path of the storm, according to CBS News.

Experts say the storm will undergo bombogenesis, meaning that colder air is expected to mix with warmer sea air, leading to a swift drop in atmospheric pressure. The process leads to a so-called bomb cyclone.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60177979

Stay safe folks, this will be a rough one.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

BearPaws wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:24 pm "Snowmageddon" for some is 1/4" of snow. We had something less than an inch of accumulation, with temperatures hovering just below the freezing point, which I consider barely worth mention (aside from having to do a light scrape of the car windows).

My dogs are almost six (Wilbur will turn six in a couple weeks, Orville a few months later), and have never seen more than an inch or two of snow at one time. They don't seem to attach any significance to it whatsoever.

They still want their walk every day, though. I put their coats on them just to be "that guy."

IMG_0798 (2).jpg
You forgot their snow boots! LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

BearPaws wrote:"Snowmageddon" for some is 1/4" of snow. We had something less than an inch of accumulation, with temperatures hovering just below the freezing point, which I consider barely worth mention (aside from having to do a light scrape of the car windows).

IMG_0798 (2).jpg
And just think - your dogs are supporting a private company choosing to provide a safe work environment for their employees with those cArhart doggy jackets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The navel oranges are now sweet and juicy. Violets and irises are blooming. The hydrangea has massive buds. Everything will have started by Valentine's Day, especially the almond orchards, the ones left. Oceans of white, and the plums give oceans of purple. Despite the students being back with their noises and hullabaloo, (and money), it's a great time of year. A bit too warm and dry for my liking.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

There is a monument in Riverside to the first navel orange tree, off Magnolia Ave.
According to a study done by Palemon Dorsett, Archibald Dixon Shamel, and Wilson Popenoe in 1917, the Orange Navel citrus is a single mutation that happened in the early 1800s on a Selecta Orange tree planted in a monastery in Bahia, Brazil. The mutation on this sweet orange caused it to develop a secondary rudimentary fruit at the base, opposite the stem end, nested within the peel of the primary fruit. The said mutation also caused the fruit to be seedless.

In 1835, twelve cuttings from the original Navel Orange tree were introduced to Florida. In 1870 these cuttings were sent to Riverside, California where they were grafted onto California sweet orange trees resulting in Washington Navel Orange Trees. Further cultivation led to the birth of the dwarf Washington Navel Orange tree.

Propagation

The mutation that caused the Navel Orange to develop a secondary fruit caused it to be sterile which does not allow the typical breeding method – growing from seed. Now you might be wondering, if Navel Oranges are seedless how are Navel Oranges grown? Standard or dwarf Navel Orange trees are propagated via cutting and grafting techniques so it is safe to say that all Navel Orange trees grown worldwide are clones of the single tree from Bahia, Brazil.
https://www.citrus.com/blog/everything- ... l-oranges/

We'll also start seeing blood oranges in the grocery stores.

Today weather cloudy and mild. Tomorrow cold with freezing rain sleet snow into Thursday and Friday morning Winter Weather warnings are already out. But the bight side it isn't going to be like last February.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:41 am Today weather cloudy and mild. Tomorrow cold with freezing rain sleet snow into Thursday and Friday morning Winter Weather warnings are already out. But the bight side it isn't going to be like last February.
Yet.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:46 am
TrueTexan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:41 am Today weather cloudy and mild. Tomorrow cold with freezing rain sleet snow into Thursday and Friday morning Winter Weather warnings are already out. But the bight side it isn't going to be like last February.
Yet.

Hopefully you don't need another February from Hell.

It's damned windy again today. We need rain badly. None in the 10-day. Other than that, the weather has been lovely for Juneuary. I guess we'll see what Februly has in store. The summer is going to suck without more rain, though. We'll lose more trees. And have more fires. What a deal.

There are a couple of large black oaks outside our north windows that were showing serious drought stress toward the end of last summer. It will be interesting to see if they bud out this spring or if they are dead. They are the only ones nearby whos leaves are still just hanging on, brown and dead. Not a great sign. A lot of the manzanita is also drought stressed or dead. These plants are drought adapted. But even they are saying enough is enough.

The drought down here means the coyotes are coming down from federal lands every night to hunt in the populated areas. Rabbits, chipmunks, desert rats and the occasional feral cat are on their menu. Some rodent got into the engine of my car and chewed up wires recently, that was a costly repair. Never had a problem with three earlier vehicles, but times are different. Installed one of those electronic rodent repellers, hopefully that works.

The coyotes are all over our property at the moment. The 20 acres down the hill from us has goats and sheep. It's lambing season. I found lamb wool about 50 yards from our house yesterday, right where I'd seen a coyote the night before. Whatever chunk it had pulled off, nothing was left but wool. I've seen a couple last week that were damned big. We hear them just about every night, which is eerily cool. But I do have to keep a close eye on tinydog when I take her out for her nightly duties. She's just stupid enough to go charging off into the dark after a coyote. She really thinks she's 112 pounds rather than 12.

As the second winter storm in less than a week sets up across the country, 21 states are gearing up for a blast of winter precipitation and dangerously cold temperatures.

More than 90 million people are currently under winter weather alerts stretching from the Rockies to New England -- over 2,000 miles.

The biggest impact will be in the South, where a crippling ice storm is likely. Places including Dallas and Memphis, Tennessee, could see icy roads and power outages amid dangerously cold temperatures. Parts of the Midwest could see over a foot of snow; potentially the biggest snow in a century for some.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/01/weather/ ... index.html

Stay safe !

highdesert wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:43 am The drought down here means the coyotes are coming down from federal lands every night to hunt in the populated areas. Rabbits, chipmunks, desert rats and the occasional feral cat are on their menu. Some rodent got into the engine of my car and chewed up wires recently, that was a costly repair. Never had a problem with three earlier vehicles, but times are different. Installed one of those electronic rodent repellers, hopefully that works.
I use Rid-A-Rat in my engine compartments for pack rats. It flashes like a strobe light. Also have one on my outdoor barbeque. They ate the insulation off the wiring for ignition and lighting. L'il bastards.
I also use snap traps and cage traps with peanut butter.
Sometimes I go stealth sniper at night with my pelletgun and a light on it.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:50 am
highdesert wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:43 am The drought down here means the coyotes are coming down from federal lands every night to hunt in the populated areas. Rabbits, chipmunks, desert rats and the occasional feral cat are on their menu. Some rodent got into the engine of my car and chewed up wires recently, that was a costly repair. Never had a problem with three earlier vehicles, but times are different. Installed one of those electronic rodent repellers, hopefully that works.
I use Rid-A-Rat in my engine compartments for pack rats. It flashes like a strobe light. Also have one on my outdoor barbeque. They ate the insulation off the wiring for ignition and lighting. L'il bastards.
I also use snap traps and cage traps with peanut butter.
Sometimes I go stealth sniper at night with my pelletgun and a light on it.

I grabbed something similar off Amazon, it has the high pitched sound we can't hear but varmints do and it has flashing LED lights. The service rep at the dealership recommended it. A guy who was also waiting for his vehicle said they live in Colorado and had mice that got into their vehicle's engine and caused damage, he also said electronic repellers work.

The little devils ate the wiring for the mileage gauge and calculator and the temp gauge on my car leaving the check engine light on. One of the perils of rural desert areas. Traps are next.