Do you legally conceal carry?

Yes, every day and every place that the law will let me.
Total votes: 215 (42%)
Yes, only when I know I am going to someplace with increased risk
Total votes: 71 (14%)
Yes, sometimes, if I think about it.
Total votes: 41 (8%)
Not really, but I have a permit regardless.
Total votes: 64 (13%)
No, and I don't have a permit.
Total votes: 119 (23%)
Total votes: 510

Re: Do You Carry

Rust wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:24 pm Yeah, I get it about the weight. My only J-frame is a Model 60 in 38. I have often thought about getting a lightweight.
Then again, it’s just a matter of learning to shoot the light weight revolver. Like I said, the right “Airweight” came along, bingo! LoL. I’m more interested in the variety of ammo from 357 mag to 38 Special +P to normal 38 Special.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Guns are bit like car tires. I went to a performance driving day sponsored by BMW/MINI with their professional drivers as coaches. Car people fuss about tires, the professional driver told me you learn to drive with the tires you have. Same goes with guns, you learn to shoot what you have.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I carry a Glock 43 more to maintain the mindset that being armed should engender. Another aspect is that at 69 years old I'm too busted up to engage in fisticuffs and too lame to run away. As much as western WA is a blue state it's still ground zero for Proud Boys and a host of other alt.right types who've professed a desire to "kill liberals". Sadly, those conditions have informed my choice of firearms beyond .22lr paper punchers. In a more perfect world I wouldn't have accumulated a few AR's and a KSG.
"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Emiliano Zapata

BearPaws wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:21 pm My answer isn't in the choices given, but it's closest to "Yes, everywhere the law allows." I rarely leave the neighborhood without it, but I also don't always bother for a trip to the nearest convenience store for a six pack (and the guns go in the safe before the bottle gets opened).

I, like several here, am relatively new to EDC, having purchased such tools within the term of TFG because of fans of TFG.

The EDC piece is a P10S in 4;30 IWB. Yeah, lots of folks wouldn't notice if I carry my P10F OWB, but why push things?

I like the way featureless put it: "If I don't have time to chamber, I shouldn't be drawing in the first place, there are other options." To each your own, of course, and it's certainly a good idea to practice (I keep snap caps around for just that reason) one's draw.
The video posted on FB in the Members' Lounge, regarding a shooting in South Africa, got me to thinking on the topic of whether to carry with one in the pipe. The debate rages, with pros and cons for each decision, and I will NOT say that your choice is wrong for you.
It's six months since I typed the quoted passages, and I'm finding my thoughts have evolved a little bit, or maybe not. Maybe I'm just a few steps farther along on the journey I sort-of knew I would take.

When my spouse and I started on the journey of having firearms for self defense, a friend of my spouse's met us at the gun store and talked pistols with us for an hour or more. Even then, not but so familiar with expressions like "carrying in condition 1," "DA/SA trigger," and so on, I recognized that it would be a progression for me. I already had (bought it a week or so before) a P10F as a "first gun, for target shooting, learning the ropes, and home defense," and had ill-informed ideas that would soon be confronted with better practice (like thinking I would do better drawing from at left-handed holster at 4:30 position because my hand naturally does that better with my battery drill on my carpentry belt). I knew I wasn't ready to carry with a round in the chamber at that moment, but was figuring that I would eventually as I acclimated to carrying. I also knew I would seek professional instruction to make sure I was starting good habits, because, well, that's a good idea.

Yeah, my EDC was a P10S for several months, despite the vague unease about my outsized hands and the relatively short grip. Found a P10C, and THAT little problem went away. Bought a P07 a few weeks ago, and am acclimating to the DA/SA trigger that seemed a more complicated idea than I wanted to address eighteen months ago, now that I have taken opportunity to learn "how it switches modes from DA to SA and back." The P07 is probably going to be my EDC before long, simply because I've grown a bit as a pistol owner, want "one in the pipe," and appreciate the double-action trigger (even though I have confidence in the trigger-mounted safety of the P10-series pistols).
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

featureless wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 pm I switched to DA/SA for the same reason, paws. Still don't carry chambered. Doh. I know I should but I'm just not there yet.
Whether you should or should not is not for me to decide.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

My EDC is condition 1 by choice - full mag/round chambered; safety on (easily swept off when drawing). My bedside is a SD40VE, full mag, nada chambered, no safety. Both my decision. Still, I have a couple of EDC I carry Con 1 and to this day still not comfortable using their decocker - something about a hammer coming down on a live chambered round gives me sphincteritis, so pistol is pointed inside my home made bullet trap just in case. Same when topping off my EDC in carry prep. Personally, I will not EDC a pistol without a safety - again, my choice and decision. Sadly, I'm back to packing just walking out to check the mailbox or when I take Jake out to front yard for a walk and pee. When I leave house to enter public domain, I may forget my cell, but never my EDC.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

BearPaws wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:56 am
featureless wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 pm I switched to DA/SA for the same reason, paws. Still don't carry chambered. Doh. I know I should but I'm just not there yet.
Whether you should or should not is not for me to decide.
I hear ya. Just expressing my similar conundrum. I've kind of always figured that if I don't have time to chamber, I shouldn't be pulling a gun in the first place. There are alternate means of self defense at very close proximity and I'd rather not wrestle with a gun in my hand. In the before times, I even practiced them in the dojo. These days, it's rusty, but the basics are still in there.

I began carrying with a revolver and other than once taking the 1911 (also one bullet) that followed my dad home from his four-year tour of North Africa, Italy and the Middle East to school when I was in the second or third grade for show-n-tell, I didn't own, carry or shoot a semi-automatic until I was in my thirties. The concept of not having a round in the chamber just never really even occurred to me.

The idea of alternate self-defense though at my age is pretty much limited to hide, cane and maybe knife but flight is simply beyond my current capabilities. I likely can slink or maybe even scurry and definitely crawl but flight...? No way!
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sikacz wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:18 am Since I carry a revolver the chamber issue is resolved.
Curious. Fully loaded or hammer on empty?
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:06 am
sikacz wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:18 am Since I carry a revolver the chamber issue is resolved.
It was always fully loaded, even when the 'safety' was only the half-cocked position.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:06 am The idea of alternate self-defense though at my age is pretty much limited to hide, cane and maybe knife but flight is simply beyond my current capabilities. I likely can slink or maybe even scurry and definitely crawl but flight...? No way!
Totally legit. I'll be there soon enough. Beats the alternative, eh?

Wino wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:06 am
Fully loaded. Solid holster, mostly pocket, and the DA pull even lightened is still heavy enough to be a good safety.

I never had the physical side to be formidable and now my biggest advantage is not looking dangerous. Being old and walking with a limp has side benefits. Crawl and hide are my options. I don’t need a magazine full of rounds and since I can’t get away quickly I expect an assailant would catch me if they wanted. Hence the revolver, it will not fail to go bang even if grabbed or in pocket. It’ll definitely ruin a day and might need new pants.

sikacz wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:22 am I never had the physical side to be formidable and now my biggest advantage is not looking dangerous. Being old and walking with a limp has side benefits. Crawl and hide are my options. I don’t need a magazine full of rounds and since I can’t get away quickly I expect an assailant would catch me if they wanted. Hence the revolver, it will not fail to go bang even if grabbed or in pocket. It’ll definitely ruin a day and might need new pants.
You know predators - wild life or human look for the elderly and wounded to prey on Sikacz. Not sure not looking dangerous is any advantage. Don't leave home without it.
I'm gettin older my self. I have arthritis in my hands and knees are not that great to it would hurt like hell to punch someone. Gotta remember to do the five point palm exploding heart move on them.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I just bought a Ruger LC9s and a sticky holster for a pocket carry. It worries me that the LC9s doesn't have a manual safety, so I don't have one chambered. I figure I can chamber one in a hurry if necessary. I will back down from a quick draw situation. I do however have a Taurus G2C chambered and ready by my side in my vehicle. I'm old and white haired and I hope that will give me an advantage, but I don't walk around much any more and don't worry about being mugged in the small towns I move around in.

Dreamsinger wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:24 pm I carry a Glock 43 more to maintain the mindset that being armed should engender. Another aspect is that at 69 years old I'm too busted up to engage in fisticuffs and too lame to run away. As much as western WA is a blue state it's still ground zero for Proud Boys and a host of other alt.right types who've professed a desire to "kill liberals". Sadly, those conditions have informed my choice of firearms beyond .22lr paper punchers. In a more perfect world I wouldn't have accumulated a few AR's and a KSG.
I hear you. Just the other day another coworker just got assaulted at lunch time in downtown Seattle for no reason. I ride a somewhat nice racing bike and am Asian. I'm just too tired of having to fend off random or semi-random assaults without an equalizer.

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:19 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:22 am I never had the physical side to be formidable and now my biggest advantage is not looking dangerous. Being old and walking with a limp has side benefits. Crawl and hide are my options. I don’t need a magazine full of rounds and since I can’t get away quickly I expect an assailant would catch me if they wanted. Hence the revolver, it will not fail to go bang even if grabbed or in pocket. It’ll definitely ruin a day and might need new pants.
You know predators - wild life or human look for the elderly and wounded to prey on Sikacz. Not sure not looking dangerous is any advantage. Don't leave home without it.
I'm gettin older my self. I have arthritis in my hands and knees are not that great to it would hurt like hell to punch someone. Gotta remember to do the five point palm exploding heart move on them.
It usually goes in my pocket. It’s small and hides well. By not looking dangerous, I hope it gives me an advantage. An assailant may not realize I am dangerous and that might be all the advantage I need to walk away.