ATF declares FRT-15 trigger a machine gun, manufacturer sues

ATF Determines That The Rare Breed FRT-15 Trigger is A Machine Gun
ORLANDO, FL –-(Ammoland.com)- Rare Breed Triggers received a letter from the Tampa branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) stating its FRT-15 trigger is a machine gun.

The Rare Breed Triggers FRT-15 is a force reset trigger. When a trigger is pulled, the FRT-15 trigger’s sear forces the trigger to reset. The trigger dramatically speeds up the rate of fire of an AR15 style of firearm. A machinegun is a gun that fires more than one bullet with a single function of the trigger. The shooter has to pull the trigger for every round that is fired, the company correctly believes that the FRT-15 trigger is not a machine gun. But much like the bump stocks, the ATF disagreed with the company’s assertion.
Rare Breed Trigger LLC did not submit a trigger to the ATF for an opinion letter, the company relied on the legal opinions of attorneys and experts outside of the ATF. The company has several videos on its website with these experts explaining why the Rare Breed FRT-15 trigger is not a machine gun. Even if the company had an opinion letter from the ATF, it could have just reversed its decision much as it did with bump stocks.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 23.7.0.pdf

Code: Select all

83. The Defendants’ attempt to redefine the definition of a “machinegun”
to reach the FRT-15 is in excess of the agency’s statutory jurisdiction and authority
and is short of the agency’s statutory right.
84. The Defendants’ arbitrary and capricious attempt to redefine the
definition of a “machinegun” to reach the FRT-15 will also prohibit the ownership,
possession and use of firearm accessories that are not prohibited by the relevant
statutes.
85. The Plaintiffs are adversely affected because they will be irreparably
harmed by Defendants’ actions in the manner set forth in paragraphs 71-78, above.

Re: ATF declares FRT-15 trigger a machine gun, manufacturer sues

Dang, better order one asap! Or would I have to wait?

Don't forget this:
US Pat. 10514223
*Full-Auto Bolt Carrier Required.
*Heavy Buffer (H2, H3 or T3 BUFFER) Recommended.
*We strongly recommend a qualified gunsmith install this trigger.

*In the majority of setups, the FRT-15 is plug-n-play with a heavy buffer. Tuning may be required.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

A bit on the pending raids to save the children from triggers, per an internal ATF memo.

The ATF has declared the triggers themselves machineguns. Those in possession are referred to as "defendants" in the email.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:15 pm I usually don't mess with triggers but dang. Looks like fun. Course now the ATF would just come and take your gun if it had one in it.

Based specifically on how it works--forced reset--it's not my cup of tea. If I _could_ have full auto, I would want a proper auto sear and to have fire control work per its correct original design or an actual improvement thereon. Based on what is available right now for semi-auto FCGs, I'll stick with Geissele, ALG, and the Tapco single- and double-hooks I have lying around.

That said, I in no way endorse the ATF concocting interpretations of parts of the NFA in order to conduct raids for ataboy promotions. I do not need to be saved from FRT-15s.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:56 am
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:15 pm I usually don't mess with triggers but dang. Looks like fun. Course now the ATF would just come and take your gun if it had one in it.

Based specifically on how it works--force reset--it's not my cup of tea. If I _could_ have full auto, I would want a proper auto sear and to have fire control work per its correct original design or an actual improvement thereon. Based on what is available right now for semi-auto FCGs, I'll stick with Geissele, ALG, and the Tapco single- and double-hooks I have lying around.

That said, I in no way endorse the ATF concocting interpretations of parts of the NFA in order to conduct raids for ataboy promotions. I do not need to be saved from FRT-15s.
DM right with you on this. Interesting, but not something I care for, yet to each their own. Don’t care to have the ATF on their parts agenda. Seems there’s always another part they want to ban or regulate.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

My first gunsmithing job was working on machineguns for a very large importer of both military surplus and new class 3 arms. Everyone I worked with needed a 12 step program for machineguns; they loved them. For me, they're fun, but really just not my jam.

Out of all the guys I worked with, I'm they only one who has never been visited by the ATF. One of the guys I worked with actually had to go on the lam until the statute of limitations were up. His current business is one of the larger manufacturers of machineguns in the US, and he's a major contractor to the US military (and many other militaries).... How's that for irony?

Bump stocks don't do it for me, neither do binary triggers. Once a year I take the kids out shooting machineguns. Fortunately I still know several people in the business.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

An Orlando gun accessory manufacture lost an early court battle with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, according to a report by WFTV.

Rare Breed Triggers sued the ATF after the latter told Triggers in August that it needed to stop making its signature trigger; a modification allowing an AR-15 to fire at faster rates, or it could face fines and jail time, WFTV reported.

The ATF said the modification turned the semi-automatic weapon into a “machine gun” firing more than one bullet per pull, WFTV reported.

Rare Breed Triggers claims that isn’t true, and the trigger only lets shooters fire faster than usual.

Triggers executives filed a request for a preliminary injunction as part of its lawsuit, stopping the ATF from taking action, however the request was denied Tuesday.

In addition to ceasing the gun accessory manufacture’s sales of the trigger, the ATF may also attempt to seize any existing triggers, using the company’s list of customers, WFTV reported.

Rare Breed Trigger’s website lists the trigger as “out of stock.”
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/br ... story.html

The denial was for a preliminary injunction, I assume that a trial will still go on.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

What can one expect from a bloomie bought administration. Pure BS. Hopefully the next nut job republican administration will fix this and not take away a slew of civil rights. It’s crap that our choices are to loose one right or another when electing the people that we should rightly be able to expect to protect all rights.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.