Re: Wrangler with a Birdshead Grip

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:39 am I'd like to hold one to see how it feels.

CDFingers
Mee too..didn't like the 'traditional' "Bird's Head" I tried in a 357/38 Uberti DID like the somewhat different 'Thunderer' grip..bought that one.

Also, Ruger, bless their hearts..I bought my Wranglers(2 of them) for $189 each+tax..the black BH Wrangler seem to be $50-$100 more...

It feels pretty good. I love birdshead grip guns, and got one of the first ones out.

"Charcoal" matte finish, walnut grips, and it shoots much better than my first Wrangler.

It even came with a neat deSantis holster from Ruger.

A nice mate to my .45ACP Vaquero birdshead.

I need to get some pix on here.

SR
Last edited by SubRosa on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

You can hook your ring finger in there at the bottom of the grip and it's stable enough to cock the weapon while bringing the trigger finger into proper position. Barrel should be five or shorter to get the maximum efficacy of this design. Held a perfect one once at a gun show some time back with the money in my pocket. Paid the mortgage instead.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Who's your huckleberry?
CDFingers wrote: You can hook your ring finger in there at the bottom of the grip and it's stable enough to cock the weapon while bringing the trigger finger into proper position. Barrel should be five or shorter to get the maximum efficacy of this design.
Can confirm, in .45. Cocking left handed is quicker in dry fire, but on the range, it kicks high enough I'm not sure it makes a real difference.
SubRosa wrote: It feels pretty good. I love birdshead grip guns, and got one of the first ones out.

"Charcoal" matte finish, walnut grips, and it shoots much better than my first Wrangler.

A nice mate to my .45ACP Vaquero birdshead.

I need to get some pix on here.

SR
Yes, yes you do. That Vaquero's a beaut. I've been skeptical about the appearance of the synthetic birdsheads on the Wranglers, but walnut would look good. Still holding out for the Bearcat shopkeeper, hahahaha.

DSC01890.JPG
DSC01892.JPG
I have a nice Bearcat for sale, BTW.

Very few rounds thru it, I should have the original box/papers here somewhere.

I wonder if is on the California list?

If you're interested, please PM me. Priced under market.

SR
Last edited by SubRosa on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

CDFingers wrote:My old model Vaquero with the plow handle has both cylinders. Kind of neat to shoot each out of the same gun. I'd use .45LC on saber toothed wildebeests.

CDFiingers
My Blackhawk does as well. Even though I reload both .45 ACP and .45 Colt, I don’t think I have ever shot .45 ACP out of it. Definitely helps the resale value, and it would be good if I didn’t load .45 Colt. .45 Colt is expensive from the factory - if you can even find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mostly shoot ACP lately because of that, but I didn't get into the caliber in time to get into reloading before the panic. Similar ballistics for factory loads anyway. Suspect that the factories are just loading the same bullets in different brass.

I picked up some Colt for cheaper than you can find .44 or .357 lately, but .38 Special has come down to - well, can't call it reasonable. Similar prices to .45 ACP though.

But enough about .45 - this is a Wrangler thread. How's it shoot?

Referring to the Bird's Head grip, my habit with the plow handle is to let it roll in my hand as per design. I would like to mess with a Bird's Head to see if I could do the same thing. Were it not for the need for a new frame to be gunsmithed onto my Vaquero, I'd've done it so I could get that experience.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Wrangler with a Birdshead Grip

CDFingers wrote:Referring to the Bird's Head grip, my habit with the plow handle is to let it roll in my hand as per design. I would like to mess with a Bird's Head to see if I could do the same thing. Were it not for the need for a new frame to be gunsmithed onto my Vaquero, I'd've done it so I could get that experience.

CDFingers
I don’t think it’s going to matter with a .22. Should be a pop-gun & easy to control with a birds head grip shape. Anyways I haven’t seen one online or out in the wild for sale yet. Ruger always hypes everything to the max before it’s available in quantity, to generate demand.

But generally I agree - I’ve loaded some stompers that I’ve shot out of my .357 Blackhawk. Maybe 10 years ago or so I was using the roof of my Toyota Corolla as a brace to shoot and it definitely rocks down in your hands as evidenced by the fact that it left 6 plow-handled shaped Divets in the roof, before I noticed it.

Vance has the birdshead Wrangler, if you're willing to pay too much. :lol:

My experience with plow handles is limited, but the forward part of Ruger's birdhead grip seems to follow exactly the same profile. So does the top of the backstrap. The only difference appears to be in the lower backstrap. I can't see it having much effect on recoil. They both roll up naturally if you don't have a tight grip. IMHO I think the difference is cosmetic, but it's a look I prefer.

SubRosa, that is a lovely Bearcat. Tempting.

SubRosa wrote:
DSC01890.JPG
DSC01892.JPG

SR
Single action revolvers don’t need to be rostered.

SubRosa wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:26 pm DSC01890.JPG
DSC01892.JPG

SR
What year was that manufactured?
Looks to be worth what your asking from what I've seen looking around.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Went out shooting to our fav spot in the desert yesterday. A perfect day, cool, clear, nobody else just my neighbor in his sweet original turquoise Nissan Patrol pulling the ass-end of a 39 Ford pickup turned trailer.

We subsisted on cherry Poptarts and h2o.

I took the new birds head Wrangler and the "Anti-Poacher" FAL to sight in the Holosun red dot.

He took an AR, but was camera-shy.

The FAL got on target @ 100m, the Ruger ventilated a 1948 master transcription disc that was ruined when I got it. I figure it looked much better with more holes besides the one in the middle..

The irony is my HK shirt, as I didn't take any this trip.

SR
20220130_124220.jpg
20220130_124156.jpg
20220130_124143.jpg
Last edited by SubRosa on Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.