Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3826
Yes, even N95 masks cannot prevent infection due to the poor fit around the face allowing unfiltered air into the sinus. What masks are best at in helping to prevent spread is capturing and limiting YOUR OWN GERMS from reaching others. Masks also help to reduce touching of our own faces before washing our hands, a major source of contamination.

But yes, wearing masks can limit the amount of germs you breath in. And small exposure to the virus is certainly preferable (to our immune system) than a massive, unmitigated dose.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3827
wings wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:18 pm This study only applies to delta. Omicron is changing the rules again, and reinfections are common. If we're all going to get it, better to be vaccinated first than the other way round. Speaking as a survivor.

One thing I keep wondering, as I watch the antivax/antimask cheerleaders falling over dead. Maybe the masks don't prevent infection, just like vaccination, but if they're reducing the exposure that helps explain the discrepancy in mortality. Like in the first wave, when nobody masked and PPE was in short supply even in hospitals, medical professionals were getting slammed with stupid high doses at work, and dying on the job. If you go to an anti-rally and suck in a big dose, there you go.
You are correct. The N95 and KN95 stops the virus from being inhaled and the infected from spreading it on exhale. Cloth masks only stop the infected from spreading the viruses when the infected exhale.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3828
Now it’s my turn wife is recovering and I come down with the symptoms. Lucky I’m boosted so should be short recovery. I’m not even going to get tested unless I get worse. If I have COVID why should I go out and possibly expose others to the disease just to get a confirmation that’s what I have.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3829
Bisbee wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:35 pm Yes, even N95 masks cannot prevent infection due to the poor fit around the face allowing unfiltered air into the sinus. What masks are best at in helping to prevent spread is capturing and limiting YOUR OWN GERMS from reaching others. Masks also help to reduce touching of our own faces before washing our hands, a major source of contamination.

But yes, wearing masks can limit the amount of germs you breath in. And small exposure to the virus is certainly preferable (to our immune system) than a massive, unmitigated dose.
Yes, at the start of the pandemic I listened to a pulmonologist explain that he had to attend training at his hospital in how to put on an N95 mask. It's not like cloth or surgical masks.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3832
TrueTexan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:23 am Now it’s my turn wife is recovering and I come down with the symptoms. Lucky I’m boosted so should be short recovery. I’m not even going to get tested unless I get worse. If I have COVID why should I go out and possibly expose others to the disease just to get a confirmation that’s what I have.
Yes, get well soon TT ! That's what I ended up doing when I had a bug that could have been COVID a few weeks ago. No county or pharmacy testing appmts available or OTC test kits, I figured even if my physician sent me to a lab and I didn't have it, I'd still be exposed to people who did have it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3836
Boosters are 90 percent effective at preventing Omicron hospitalizations: CDC data

Pfizer and Moderna’s COVID-19 booster shots are 90 percent effective at preventing Americans from falling seriously ill and ending up in the hospital due to the Omicron variant, data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed on Friday.

The additional doses were also 82 percent effective at avoiding emergency department and urgent care visits related to the highly transmissible variant, according to the data.

Protection from just two doses was lower — 57 percent for hospitalizations and 38 percent for ED or urgent care visits — especially if six months had passed since the second dose, the data showed.

The study, published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, analyzed data from hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations and visits between August 2021 and January 2022.

It was among three studies published by CDC researchers on Friday that offered evidence that COVID-19 vaccines are standing up against Omicron.

The research, which is the first large US studies that look at vaccine protection against Omicron, underlines the importance of Americans being up-to-date with their shots, according to CDC director Rochelle Walensky.

“Those who remain unvaccinated are at significantly higher risk for infection and severe COVID-19 disease,” Walensky said during a White House COVID-19 press briefing Friday.

“You can see significantly lower case and death rates among those who are boosted compared to those who are unvaccinated.”

The third study, led by CDC researchers but published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, looked at people who tested positive between Dec. 10 and Jan. 1 at more than 4,600 testing sites across the country.

It found that a booster shot was about 67 percent effective against Omicron compared to those who were unvaccinated.

Two doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines offered no significant protection against Omicron, the study found.

“It really shows the important of getting a booster dose,” said one of the study’s authors, Emma Accorsi.

As of Friday, 63 percent of the US population was fully vaccinated against COVID — but only 39 percent of them had received a booster shot, the latest CDC data shows.
https://nypost.com/2022/01/21/booster- ... tions-cdc/

Just more reasons to get vaccine booster.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3837
CDC actually released three studies.
The first study looked at hospitalizations and emergency room and urgent care center visits in 10 states, from August to this month.

It found vaccine effectiveness was best after three doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines in preventing COVID-19-associated emergency department and urgent care visits. Protection dropped from 94% during the delta wave to 82% during the omicron wave. Protection from just two doses was lower, especially if six months had passed since the second dose.

Officials have stressed the goal of preventing not just infection but severe disease. On that count, some good news: A third dose was at least 90% effective at preventing hospitalizations for COVID-19, both during the delta and omicron periods, the study also found.
The second study focused on COVID-19 case and death rates in 25 states from the beginning of April through Christmas. People who were boosted had the highest protection against coronavirus infection, both during the time delta was dominant and also when omicron was taking over.

Those two articles were published online by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The Journal of the American Medical Association published the third study, also led by CDC researchers. It looked at people who tested positive for COVID-19 from Dec. 10 to Jan. 1 at more than 4,600 testing sites across the U.S.

Three shots of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were about 67% effective against omicron-related symptomatic disease compared with unvaccinated people. Two doses, however, offered no significant protection against omicron when measured several months after completion of the original series, the researchers found.

“It really shows the importance of getting a booster dose,” said the CDC’s Emma Accorsi, one of the study’s authors.
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... fcf3780cc0

Glad we had our boosters.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3838
A sub-lineage of the Omicron strain has been formally designated as a “variant under investigation” by the UK Health Security Agency.

Some 426 cases of BA.2 have been detected in the UK so far, the UKHSA said on Friday, with the earliest dating back to 6 December.

UKHSA said further analysis will be carried out into BA.2 to determine its characteristics and better understand how it make shape Britain’s epidemic in the weeks to come.

“It is the nature of viruses to evolve and mutate, so it's to be expected that we will continue to see new variants emerge,” said Dr Meera Chand, incident director at the agency.

“Our continued genomic surveillance allows us to detect them and assess whether they are significant.”

The largest number of confirmed cases are in London (146) and the South East (97), the UKHSA said, adding that the original Omicron lineage remains dominant in the UK. “The proportion of BA.2 cases is currently low.”

Early indications suggest BA.2 has an increased growth rate compared to its viral predecessor, though further analysis is needed, UKHSA said.

Whereas Omicron rapidly displaced Delta following its emergence in the UK, BA.2 has yet to follow suit in dominating Omicron, which accounts for the vast majority of cases.

Globally, a total of 8,040 sequences of BA.2 have been uploaded to the global variant database Gisaid since 17 November.

The Omicron sub-lineage has been spreading quickly in places like India and the Philippines, and early signs show it is growing in Germany and Denmark, which has submitted the most sequences to date (6,411).

BA.2 has grown particularly fast in Denmark. It accounted for 20 per cent of all Covid cases in the last week of 2021, rising to 4 per cent in the second week of 2022.

Anders Fomsgaard, a researcher at Denmark’s Statens Serum Institut (SSI), said he did not yet have a good explanation for the rapid growth of the sub-lineage, admitting he was puzzled, but not worried.

“It may be that it is more resistant to the immunity in the population, which allows it to infect more. We do not know yet,” he told broadcaster TV , adding that there was a possibility that people infected with BA.1 might not be immune from then catching BA.2 soon after.

“It is a possibility,” he said. “In that case, we must be prepared for it. And then, in fact, we might see two peaks of this epidemic.”

Other countries that have uploaded more than 100 samples are India (530), Sweden (181), and Singapore (127).

It’s not clear where BA.2 emerged from, though the first cases were recorded in the Philippines.

Nor is it known whether the sub-lineage causes more severe disease than the original Omicron variant. “Data is limited and UKHSA continues to investigate,” said Dr Chand.

Tom Peacock, a virologist at Imperial College London, speaking to Yahoo News, said there is “likely to be minimal differences in vaccine effectiveness against BA.1 and BA.2.”

In a statement, the UKHSA said: “As is routine for any new variants under investigation, UKHSA is carrying out laboratory and epidemiological investigations to better understand the characteristics of this variant.

“We will continue to monitor this situation closely and recommend appropriate public health measures if needed.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 97935.html

Omicron is BA.1 and this new variant is BA.2. Other news reports say it's the predominant variant also in Sweden.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3839
Proud Boys return to DC with new target

For a second cold January day in as many years, thousands of demonstrators, including throngs of far-right Proud Boys, descended upon Washington, D.C. This time, the right-wing marchers came to protest vaccine mandates, even as America struggles to ward off the third wave of COVID-19.

While the omicron variant continues to rage, about 25,000 protesters gathered Sunday on the National Mall, chanting anti-vaccine slogans, donning pro-Trump memorabilia, and holding up signs that called for violence, according to The Washington Post. Many of their signs displayed messages like "Vaccines are mass kill bio weapons" and "Trump won," echoing Donald Trump's baseless claim of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 election. Nearby, a bus – plastered with pictures Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Rochelle Walensky, White House chief medical adviser Anthony Fauci and Microsoft founder Bill Gates – was parked on the side of the road, with the word "WANTED" above the three figures' heads.

Other demonstrators compared vaccine mandates to Nazi Germany, an increasingly popular trend among conservatives, holding up signs with messages like "I am not a lab rat" and "Stop the vaccine Holocaust."

During a speech held at the rally, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a veteran anti-vaxxer, claimed that vaccine mandates are worse than the policies of Nazi Germany, saying: "Even in Hitler's Germany, you could hide in the attic like Anne Frank did."

Other speakers included physician Robert Malone, a prominent purveyor of vaccine misinformation; TV producer Del Bigtree, the CEO of the anti-vaccination group Informed Consent Action Network; and members of public employee associations like Medical Freedom and the D.C. Firefighters Bodily Autonomy Affirmation Group.

Want a daily wrap-up of all the news and commentary Salon has to offer? Subscribe to our morning newsletter, Crash Course.

Matt Tune, a 48-year-old organizer of the rally, told the Post that he wanted to "change the current narrative…which is basically saying that we're a bunch of weirdos and freaks who don't care about humanity. And that's not true at all."

"The goal is to show a unified front of bringing people together — vaccinated, unvaccinated, Democrats, Republicans, all together in solidarity," Tune added.

The rally also saw attendance from members of the Proud Boys, a far-right neo-fascist group known for promoting and engaging in violence. Members of the group briefly engaged in a verbal back-and-forth with counter-protesters near the Reflecting Pool, though police reported no arrests or incidents of violence throughout the course of the event.

The rally comes amid the nation's ongoing battle to contain COVID-19. According to The New York Times, approximately 63% of Americans are fully vaccinated – a number that continues to climb slowly despite the rapid onset of the omicron variant in early December. Meanwhile, roughly one in five Americans are completely unvaccinated. Experts have repeatedly advised Americans to get vaccinated not only to protect themselves but to lessen the risk of mutation.
https://www.rawstory.com/proud-boys-ret ... ew-target/

Then we have the newest substitute for Ivermectin.
Instead of just getting vaccinated, anti-vaxxers are drinking iodine antiseptic

First there was hydroxychloroquine, then ivermectin; now, according to multiple reports, some Americans are gargling and/or ingesting the iodine-based liquid Betadine to prevent COVID-19 — instead of getting vaccinated.

Betadine is the brand name for povidone-iodine, an amber-colored liquid typically sold as a 10% solution as an antiseptic for cleaning wounds and skin. A 0.5% solution is sold as a gargle for sore throats, but the manufacturer cautions people not to swallow it. Recently, the manufacturer warned consumers not to consume Betadine to treat COVID-19, or rely on it as a form of treatment.

"Betadine Antiseptic First Aid products have not been approved to treat coronavirus," reads a statement on the manufacturer's website. "Products should only be used to help prevent infection in minor cuts, scrapes and burns. Betadine Antiseptic products have not been demonstrated to be effective for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19 or any other viruses."

Depending on which type of Betadine one ingests, side effects can range from stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, extreme thirst, being unable to urinate to diarrhea, vomiting, and burning a person's gastrointestinal tract.

As mentioned, there isn't sound scientific evidence that Betadine would treat or prevent COVID-19. So how did this trend start?

While a precise timeline is hard to reconstruct, several sources on social media promoted the use of Betadine to treat COVID-19 starting at the end of last year. Specifically, one video of a purported doctor went viral in April 2021; in it, the doctor states that Betadine helps treat and prevent COVID-19.

Want more health and science stories in your inbox? Subscribe to Salon's weekly newsletter The Vulgar Scientist.

Those who are supporting claims that Betadine could be an effective way to treat or prevent COVID-19 often point to a couple of studies suggesting that in in vitro experiments, different antiseptics decrease the viral load of COVID-19. Yet as experts previously interviewed by Salon attest, in vitro studies are often meaningless.

Studies based on in vitro test-tube or cell culture work "raises eyebrows" to a virologist, Dr. Benhur Lee, a Professor of Microbiology at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, told Salon last month in a discussion of an in vitro ivermectin study. As Lee explained, "in vitro" refers to studies that take place in test tubes, petri dishes, or outside of human patients. Lee notes that what happens in vitro might not necessarily translate to the human body.

"I can increase the concentration of sodium chloride (table salt) by 50% to my tissue culture cells and show inhibition of most viruses," Lee said. "But I don't go asking people to eat as much salty food as possible to combat virus infections, much less SARS-CoV-2."

Lee characterized the belief that in vitro studies will translate to an effective treatment "magical thinking."

Like many myths about COVID-19 drugs, the idea that Betadine is a viable treatment grew from shaky scientific evidence and was perpetuated by seemingly authoritative figures on social media.

For example, a 2020 study found Listerine, Iso-Betadine, and Dequonal mouthwashes might decrease the viral load of saliva, thus lowering the transmission of SARS-CoV-2. A more recent study found that Listerine and Chlorhexidine disrupted the Covid virus under in vitro conditions. But no real world evidence or trials in humans suggest that gargling with mouthwash or Betadine could have an effect on COVID-19.

Even if these did kill novel coronaviruses in one's mouth, that wouldn't be enough to halt the virus.

"It's not like your cells get infected and then they secrete a bunch of virus and they're done," virologist Angela Rasmussen told the New York Times. "Infected cells are constantly making more virus. It's a timing issue."

The manufacturer of Listerine is also warning against consumers using the mouthwash as a treatment for COVID-19.

"Although there are recent lab-based reports (in vitro studies) of some LISTERINE® Mouthwashes having activity against enveloped viruses, including coronavirus, the available data is insufficient, and no evidence-based clinical conclusions can be drawn with regards to the anti-viral efficacy of LISTERINE® Antiseptic mouthwash at this time," the company states. "More research is needed to understand whether the use of mouthwashes can impact viral transmission, exposure, viral entry, viral load and ultimately affect meaningful clinical outcomes."

Not only are the manufacturers strongly warning against this — but many doctors and public health experts are, too.

"Potassium iodine, for example, is a form that, if enough is ingested, it can cause some really severe gastrointestinal issues," Scott Schaeffer, managing director of the Oklahoma Center for Poison and Drug Information, told the Oklahoman. "Betadine and those type of products are very low in concentration. If a person were to get a pure form of iodine, like the potassium iodine, it could potentially cause pretty significant burns in the mouth, the throat, the esophagus. The last thing you want to do is burn a hole in the stomach or the esophagus."

Luckily Schaeffer told the newspaper that they haven't seen an uptick in calls to internal or external iodine-related calls.

"Four of them were the typical type of thing where a child gets into either an iodine supplement or a Betadine bottle, picks it up and drinks from it," he said. "The other was a person who was gargling with Betadine, but for a sore throat, and didn't mention COVID, so I'm inclined to think that it was not with the intent of treating or preventing COVID."

According to the local news channel WJXT in Jacksonville, Florida, the state's poison control center has only received one call in the last month of a person misusing betadine to treat COVID-19.
https://www.salon.com/2021/09/29/instea ... ntiseptic/

Those that refuse the vaccines should be told their they get to wait for treatment after all the ones vaccinated are treated, also all medical treatments for COVID related to their hospitalization will require payment in advance as their medical insurance doesn't cover acts of stupidity.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3841
The Health Ministry said on Sunday that the fourth vaccine dose for those aged 60 and up offers a threefold protection against serious illness and twofold protection against infection in the current wave driven by the Omicron variant.

The ministry said the figures are the result of initial analysis by experts from various leading academic and health institutions, and compares the fourth vaccine with those who received three doses at least four months ago.

The figures are based on 400,000 Israelis who received the fourth vaccine and 600,000 who received three doses, with the ministry stressing that the methodology is similar to previous papers the experts have published in the peer-reviewed New England Journal of Medicine.

The initial results will be updated over time as more data comes in.

Last week, preliminary results of a study conducted by the Sheba Medical Center revealed that although the fourth dose of the vaccine increased the level of antibodies in the blood, it did not seem to offer protection against infection by the Omicron variant.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/health-mi ... -over-60s/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3843
featureless wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:27 pm So we moved my daughter out and in to a room in an apartment 2 weeks ago so she could finally have some "college experience". One of her roommates just popped hot. Our daughter is boosted, but it was just a matter of time. I'm quite sure she'll be taking her turn with it in the next few days. :(
If she can't completely avoid it, I hope it's a mild case. The boosters are helping.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3844
Deaths from COVID-19 in Los Angeles County have soared over the last week, with officials saying most of the recent fatalities appear to be from the Omicron variant.

The spread of the latest coronavirus variant has moved with unprecedented speed since December, although officials have said people who get infected with Omicron generally get less severe symptoms than with the earlier Delta variant. Even so, officials say it is fatal for some.

Of 102 deaths reported Thursday — the highest single-day tally since March 10 — 90% involved people who became ill with COVID-19 after Christmas, and 80% were among those who fell ill after New Year’s Day, indicating a high likelihood of Omicron infection, Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said.

It appears that people who are dying from the Omicron variant are deteriorating much more quickly than those infected by earlier variants, Ferrer told reporters.

“It means that for the people who are, in fact, ending up passing away from COVID, if they were infected with Omicron, it looks like they get hit pretty hard earlier on,” Ferrer said.

During the summer Delta wave, COVID-19 patients were diagnosed with a coronavirus infection or started having symptoms four to five weeks before their deaths. But among fatalities reported late last week, many had an initial onset of symptoms or first diagnosis three weeks or earlier before their deaths.

“That’s a relatively short period of time between the time somebody gets infected, gets their symptoms and then passes away,” Ferrer said.

Over the seven-day period that ended Sunday, L.A. County is averaging 61 COVID-19 deaths a day, according to a Times analysis of state data released Monday. That surpasses the spring 2020 surge at the start of the pandemic, which maxed out at 50 deaths a day; the first summer surge, at 49 deaths a day; and last summer’s Delta surge, which topped out at 35.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... om-omicron
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3845
featureless wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:27 pm So we moved my daughter out and in to a room in an apartment 2 weeks ago so she could finally have some "college experience". One of her roommates just popped hot. Our daughter is boosted, but it was just a matter of time. I'm quite sure she'll be taking her turn with it in the next few days. :(
That sucks. Hope she stay's safe.

My granddaughter just tested positive, she is 5 and my grand son is 2. So my son and daughter in law are just going to deal with it. No masking up at home and no quarantine for her at home. I'm kinda up set about it. But really, what can you do? It's so contagious I think masking up at home isn't going to do anything.
I Have Seen The Enemy And It Is Us

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3846
Pfizer and BioNTech have begun a clinical trial for their Omicron-specific Covid-19 vaccine candidate, they announced in a news release on Tuesday.

The study will evaluate the vaccine for safety, tolerability and the level of immune response, as both a primary series and a booster dose, in up to 1,420 healthy adults ages 18 to 55.

The study is broken up into three groups:

Participants in the first cohort have received two doses of the current Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine at least 90 to 180 days before the study. They will receive one or two doses of the Omicron-specific vaccine.

Participants in the second cohort have received three doses of the current Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine at least 90 to 180 days prior to the study. They will receive one dose of the current Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine or the Omicron-specific vaccine.

Participants in the third cohort have not received any Covid-19 vaccine. They will receive three doses of the Omicron-specific vaccine.

The Omicron-specific vaccine will be administered as a 30-microgram dose, the same as the current vaccine. "While current research and real-world data show that boosters continue to provide a high level of protection against severe disease and hospitalization with Omicron, we recognize the need to be prepared in the event this protection wanes over time and to potentially help address Omicron and new variants in the future," Pfizer Senior Vice President and Head of Vaccine Research and Development Kathrin Jansen said in the release.

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said last month that if a new vaccine is needed for the Omicron coronavirus variant, the company will have one in March. However, a Pfizer spokesperson confirmed that the company has already begun to manufacture this vaccine.

"In the wake of Omicron, we are proactively investigating and manufacturing at risk an Omicron-based vaccine should it be needed, but we of course need to have results and discussions with health authorities as well as approvals before it would be deployed," the spokesperson told CNN. Expected vaccine production will not be affected if the companies need to pivot to the new vaccine, they said.

"The companies have previously announced that they expect to produce four billion doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine in 2022, and this capacity is not expected to change if an adapted vaccine is required." However, the companies also emphasized that people who have received booster doses of the current vaccine "maintain a high level of protection against Omicron, particularly against severe disease and hospitalizations."

A new preprint lab study suggests that antibodies against the Omicron coronavirus variant remain robust four months after a third dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. "Additional real world effectiveness data and laboratory investigations will further inform the duration of protection, potential need for an additional dose at a later time, and whether an Omicron modified vaccine is required," said the study from researchers at the University of Texas Medical Branch, Pfizer and BioNTech.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/health/p ... index.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3847
tonguengroover wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:07 am
featureless wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:27 pm So we moved my daughter out and in to a room in an apartment 2 weeks ago so she could finally have some "college experience". One of her roommates just popped hot. Our daughter is boosted, but it was just a matter of time. I'm quite sure she'll be taking her turn with it in the next few days. :(
That sucks. Hope she stay's safe.

My granddaughter just tested positive, she is 5 and my grand son is 2. So my son and daughter in law are just going to deal with it. No masking up at home and no quarantine for her at home. I'm kinda up set about it. But really, what can you do? It's so contagious I think masking up at home isn't going to do anything.
I know of a couple of families where one brought it home and they all got it. Agree, quarantine when it's in the house isn't going to work with this beasti.

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3848
I'm doing better. I have heard my niece in College in Utah had come down with COVID and gave it to my SIL. both are recovering. Thank goodness for the boosters. It is going to get to the point where just about everybody but the hermits will have had the Omicron variant. If Vaccinated and Boosted it is fairly mild like a case of the flu or a cold. If no vaccination take your life in your hands.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3849
I know several friends here in Los Angeles (in the dance community, triple vaccinated) who have tested + and recovered well from Covid. It doesn’t appear to be so deadly now and certainly the local government is not treating it as such. The biggest concern seems to be the controversy of unvaccinated children going to in person classes.

I’m glad most folks here sound like they are following the trend of recovery.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

3850
Cross street neighbors - husband has break thru diagnosed yesterday. I watched Cowboys get whipped weekend before last with them, but not I or his wife have any symptoms as yet. She's like me and has most covid symptoms most all the time - we're both waiting to test when our freebies come in from Uncle Joe via USPS. Myself, no fever and can still smell things, altho heard omicron may not affect smell. Postponed food/supplies shopping until tomorrow or Thursday.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Semrush [Bot] and 3 guests

cron