Re: Is the .380 Auto Obsolete?

Stiff wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:01 pm Something just crossed my mind about these shootings. I know that people can react very differently when shot. While the majority of petty criminals would cut and run, hardened gangsters can press on. Law enforcement agencies all use larger calibers (9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP), so their stopping statistics include a lot of meth heads and other tough dudes.

I very rarely see a .32 pistol of any type, so I speculate that the majority are owned by older people at home, used against burglars.

The vast majority of us are not LEO. We’re most likely to run into a garden variety burglar or mugger, so packing higher powered rounds that you don’t shoot well can actually be counter productive.

Not many 32 ACP pistols out there. Kel-Tec is probably the cheapest and Seecamp probably the most expensive, if you can find them. I have the Beretta Tomcat, I like the pop up barrel for loading the last round. It's a good shooter and very concealable.

IIRC the case of a man who conceal carried a 10 mm handgun, the caliber was definitely a factor in his trial after he shot a man he perceived as a threat. I agree it's probably rare we'll have to ever use what we carry.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I have two ARs, one I could make California legal by changing the magazine to a 5 round (Ruger Ranch in 5,56) The other is my Yugoslav Underfolder and I would have to be sold. Might have to sell the Mossberg Shcokwave and the Sig 227 in 45 acp. But I bet the Sig 1911 is on the list as a keeper. The rest is revolvers.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:23 pm All I can say about California and the guns laws is, thank god I live in Texas.
Agree. Also, California suffers from wild fires and earthquakes. I’ve gotten used to floods and hurricanes. I’ll be staying in Texas and hope California gun law ideas don’t take root here.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:14 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:23 pm All I can say about California and the guns laws is, thank god I live in Texas.
Agree. Also, California suffers from wild fires and earthquakes. I’ve gotten used to floods and hurricanes. I’ll be staying in Texas and hope California gun law ideas don’t take root here.

You're both smart. Unless SCOTUS hands down rulings reversing gun control laws especially in blue states, it will only get worse.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I found this put out by Walther. Jeez, can I even carry my PPK/s in Cal? So confusing.

CREED DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTIONS
CREED Pistols 9mm
Restriction
California Not available for Transfer
Colorado 15 rd or less version only
Connecticut Not available for Transfer
Hawaii 10 rd version only
Massachusetts Not available for Transfer
New Jersey 10 rd or less version only. Magazine limiter/dimple not allowed.
New York 10 rd version only – Exemption type 07 FFL holders or licensees with valid State of New York issued Dealer in Firearms License

P99 DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTIONS
P99 Pistols Restriction
California Not available for transfer
Connecticut 10 rd version only
Maryland 10 rd version only
New Jersey 10 rd or less version only. No limiter/dimple allowed.
New York 10 rd version only – Exemption type 07 FFL holders or licensees with valid State of New York issued Dealer in Firearms License
Washington D.C. 10 rd version only

P99C Pistol Restriction

PPK/S 22, P22, & PK380 DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTIONS
PPK/S .22 Pistol Restriction
Connecticut Not available for transfer A.W.
Hawaii Not available for transfer M.P.
Illinois Not available for transfer M.P.
Massachusetts Not available for transfer
Minnesota Not available for transfer M.P.
New York Not available for transfer – Exemption type 07 FFL holders or licensees with valid State of New York issued Dealer in Firearms License A.P.

P22 Pistol Restriction
California CA Approved Models Only Walther PN’s: 5120333, 5120336, 5120334, 5120337, 5120338
Connecticut Only approved models Walther Arms PN’s: 5120333,5120336, 5120334, 5120337, 5120338
New York Not available for transfer A.W.
Washington D.C. Not available for transfer

PK380 Pistol Restriction
California Not available for transfer (Roster Micro)

PPQ .22 Pistol Restriction
Connecticut Not available for transfer A.W.
New York Not available for transfer – Exemption type 07 FFL holders or licensees with valid State of New York issued Dealer in Firearms License
Washington, D.C. Not available for transfer
P
PQ DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTIONS
PPQ Pistols 9mm & .40S&W
Restriction
Connecticut 10 rd version only (M1 Version Only)

PPQ Navy Pistol 9mm Restriction
Connecticut 10 rd version only (M1 version only)
Hawaii 10 rd version only – Hawaii FFL can convert magazines.
New York Not available for transfer – Exemption type 07 FFL holders or licensees with valid State of New York issued Dealer in Firearms License

PPQ Pistol .45 ACP
Restriction
Connecticut Not available for transfer
Q5 Match Pistol Restriction Restriction

PPS, PPK & PPK/S .380 DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTIONS
PPS Pistols Restriction
PPS M2 Pistols Restriction

PPK & PPK/S .380 Pistols Restriction
CCP Pistols Restriction

PPX DISTRIBUTION RESTRICTIONS
PPX Pistol Restriction
PPX Navy Pistol Restriction
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:42 am I found this put out by Walther. Jeez, can I even carry my PPK/s in Cal? So confusing.

California has no concealed carry reciprocity with any other state, some other states do recognize CA's LTC. Your AZ permit isn't valid in CA. The only way to carry in CA is if you have a CA LTC issued by a CA sheriff or police chief and you must be a resident, they don't issue to non-residents. The state doesn't issue LTC permits. Even LEOSA has hurdles in CA.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resour ... -gun-laws/

highdesert wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:36 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:42 am I found this put out by Walther. Jeez, can I even carry my PPK/s in Cal? So confusing.

California has no concealed carry reciprocity with any other state, some other states do recognize CA's LTC. Your AZ permit isn't valid in CA. The only way to carry in CA is if you have a CA LTC issued by a CA sheriff or police chief and you must be a resident, they don't issue to non-residents. The state doesn't issue LTC permits. Even LEOSA has hurdles in CA.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resour ... -gun-laws/
Damned Democrats.
Never really took any notice about CA laws as I mostly fly into SF and don't like checking my guns. But I will take a knife to a gun fight. hehehe
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:21 pm Never really took any notice about CA laws as I mostly fly into SF and don't like checking my guns. But I will take a knife to a gun fight. hehehe
California knife law is much more lenient - although specific locations may vary. True across the West, really. I was shocked to see the restrictions on blades when I moved out East. Anyway, the Teuller drill exists for a reason. Jim Bowie made quite a reputation for himself by bringing a knife to a gun fight.

wings wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:23 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:21 pm Never really took any notice about CA laws as I mostly fly into SF and don't like checking my guns. But I will take a knife to a gun fight. hehehe
California knife law is much more lenient - although specific locations may vary. True across the West, really. I was shocked to see the restrictions on blades when I moved out East. Anyway, the Teuller drill exists for a reason. Jim Bowie made quite a reputation for himself by bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Original Bowie knives had a 9” blade or more. My 3” pocket knife is a far cry from it.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:51 pm
wings wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:23 pm
Original Bowie knives had a 9” blade or more. My 3” pocket knife is a far cry from it.
Think of the Bowie Knife as 2 inches blade longer than a K-Bar.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Well this iconic legend will never be obsolete. Now I think I need another, perhaps the deep black nitrocarburized finished one.
Been practicing with my laser snap cap bullet. Did a little photo shoot. hehe Heavy Metal
Last edited by tonguengroover on Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attachments
Walther ppks.jpg

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:14 pm
Think of the Bowie Knife as 2 inches blade longer than a K-Bar.
Not as simple as that, because a Bowie is also wider. Think of it like a very short sword, a cousin of the infamous Gurkha Khukuri. A British service Khukuri has a 10” blade.

If I remember correctly, a proper Bowie was heavy enough to take off your opponent’s hand at the wrist, which would make it problematic for him to shoot you. Just like a Khukuri that can lop arms and heads off with enough skill. A Kabar doesn’t do this.
Glad that federal government is boring again.