Black Powder lube?

Hey folks,
I've been shooting my Pietta 1860 Army for a couple of years now, and I'm running low on the Bore Butter that I bought with it... so I'm thinking of making my own lube. I know there are tons of recipes out there, but I was wondering what folks here use. In particular, I'd like to find a way to put some lube behind the ball in paper cartridges without spoiling the powder. I watched a video on paper cartridges by Blackie (Shaman's Forge) where he dropped a few solid beads of soy wax on top of his wad, but it was never explained... I have a shitload of soy wax laying around because my wife makes candles... anyone ever tried this?
Interested in what y'all have to say.
thanks, and happy new year (here's hoping it's better that the last few)
Crow
Minute Of Average

Re: Black Powder lube?

I have always used Crisco or actual lard. Definitely have to clean well after every shoot. But it has been easy to find. I just apply it over the ball after seating to prevent doubles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

From the Crisco website:
Q. Can I use butter flavor Crisco shortening in place of regular Crisco shortening?
A. By all means! Butter Flavor Crisco shortening performs the same as regular Crisco shortening, but adds a rich buttery flavor...

A new twist on "pre-season" hunting.
This isn't going well, is it?

Rickoshay wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:46 am I have always used Crisco or actual lard. Definitely have to clean well after every shoot. But it has been easy to find. I just apply it over the ball after seating to prevent doubles.

I also use Crisco--smells like popcorn when you shoot.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

thanks guys!
I think I'm going to try the Ballistol/Beeswax mix since I have a bit of both laying around.
How do you carry the Crisco? Seems awkward to carry a whole can... I usually am tromping several miles when I have the revolver with me and carry only what I really need to in a shoulder bag.
Crow
Minute Of Average

Buy a small glass jar of baby food and stick the crisco in the baby jar. I use one for gun grease (don’t shoot black powder myself) and it fits in a pocket easily. Might even fit in a speed loader type pouch. Y’all post some pics, I’m interested in how y’all carry one these revolvers. During this pandemic I thought about black powder, it seemed to be one of the few available powders here locally. Didn’t look into it further, but thought it was a more pandemic resistant shooting platform. Don’t know if I was right or not, but y’all seem to be enjoying it! LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

papajim2jordan wrote:
IMG_2091.JPG
For me, the easiest is a tube lube. Little mess, works good. There are products made for purpose, but I can't tell the difference other than losing out on that movie theater fragrance. Which makes me reconsider butter flavor Crisco.
Lard makes a bacon smell.

Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

sikacz wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:43 am Buy a small glass jar of baby food and stick the crisco in the baby jar. I use one for gun grease (don’t shoot black powder myself) and it fits in a pocket easily. Might even fit in a speed loader type pouch. Y’all post some pics, I’m interested in how y’all carry one these revolvers. During this pandemic I thought about black powder, it seemed to be one of the few available powders here locally. Didn’t look into it further, but thought it was a more pandemic resistant shooting platform. Don’t know if I was right or not, but y’all seem to be enjoying it! LoL.
Baby food jar is a good call. I carry my revolver in a western style holster. When I was a kid I was obsessed with Wild Bill, mostly from that show The Young Riders. Now, in my early 40's, I still get a kick out of tromping the woods with a big ol' shootin' iron on my hip. I don't know how "pandemic resistant" it really is, but my wife bought it for me a couple years back because she said it might come in handy if the world ended... that was December of 2019.... A good lady with good instincts!
Crow
Minute Of Average
Attachments
holstershrink2.jpeg

Rickoshay wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:30 pm
papajim2jordan wrote:IMG_2091.JPGFor me, the easiest is a tube lube. Little mess, works good. There are products made for purpose, but I can't tell the difference other than losing out on that movie theater fragrance. Which makes me reconsider butter flavor Crisco.
Lard makes a bacon smell.

Yes, but Crisco isn't lard. It's 100% vegetable product. This was a continuation of CDF's "pop"corn meme.
https://crisco.com/product/all-vegetable-shortening/
This isn't going well, is it?

Crow wrote: Now, in my early 40's, I still get a kick out of tromping the woods with a big ol' shootin' iron on my hip.
Crow
Nice! (Same - 41 y/o guy who tromps around with a revolver) I prefer one of either of my Ruger Blackhawks for any reason or excuse to go tromping around in the woods with.