Re: Happy Thanksgiving !

While most of us will have a traditional Thanksgiving meal today with variations, there were many times when I worked on holidays that I'd grab lunch or dinner at a Chinese restaurant which are traditionally open on holidays.
Today, there are more than 45,000 Chinese restaurants across the US, more than the number of McDonald's, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Wendy's outlets combined, according to an estimate by the Chinese American Restaurant Association.

And because Chinese restaurants are almost always among the few places open on public holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, they have become the refuge of those averse to cooking the big family meal.

Nowadays, Chinese food in America ranges from greasy spoons to sophisticated venues offering a variety of dishes from across China. In major US cities, upscale Chinese fine dining restaurants have also opened doors.
Many people in America love Chinese food, but David R Chan is perhaps in a league of his own.

Mr Chan, a 72-year-old former tax lawyer based in Los Angeles, claims to have dined at nearly 8,000 Chinese restaurants across the US and counting. Each is archived in a spreadsheet that he has maintained for four decades, along with thousands of restaurant business cards and menus.

If you visit one Chinese restaurant per day, it would take more than 20 years to reach his current count - 7,812 restaurants.

From pineapple buns and pork belly to chicken feet and tea-smoked duck, the Chinese restaurant "collector" documents his food conquests almost daily on his social media accounts.
The best place to find the most varied authentic Chinese foods in America is the San Gabriel Valley in LA, a Chinese immigrant enclave, he said, but for dim sum, San Francisco is the best bet.

He once had "unexpectedly good" chow mein in Clarksdale, Mississippi, which has a historic community of Chinese Americans dating back 200 years. One of his most disappointing meals was in Fargo, North Dakota. "The fried rice was like boiled rice, and somebody poured soy sauce on to it," Mr Chan said. The town is far from any sizeable Chinese communities.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59356176
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Stiff wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:19 pm Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope you got something good for Black Friday. Everybody started selling Black Friday stuff before the Thanksgiving this year.

I had to start my shopping today, my laptop is acting up so I bought a new one online. The price was probably inflated but I need it. Yes Black Friday started early this year.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Had a good Thanksgiving. My son and Daughter-in-law were here. We enjoyed a great meal. I didn’t screw up the prep or cooking. Gave my son the day off, he’s a chef.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

We are thankful for many things but first and foremost:
1) for the first time since 2019 we were able to get together. Our eldest, living and working in Santa Monica, was finally able to come home. While here, we were able to arrange for him to get his Covid booster.
Other things:
2) We are all healthy
3) My cheesecake was the best ever, and, for the first time in 36 years of making it, it didn't split! No graham cracker crumbs in the stores so one pack of graham crackers in the food processor et voila!
4) My wife's fabulous matzoh stuffing, which, unusually, she struggled with Thursday, came out delicious.
5) There was no cornbread stuffing in the stores, so I baked a simple cornbread, cubed it, added all kinds of herbs, and toasted it. That and FRESH sage made it the best bread stuffing ever. Mushrooms, celery, roasted chestnuts, sweet grilled Italian sausage, and chicken stock all go into it-- a complete meal itself.
6) I always like to make a change, so this year I marinated asparagus, brussels sprouts, and portabella mushrooms in balsamic dressing, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil for hours and hours, then grilled them in a grilling basket outside. The flames were MAGNFICENT as they nicely charred, just a little, the veggies.
7) My wife's turkey, roasted in an oiled brown paper bag, was awesome--not dry. (The brown paper bag is my trick--been doing it for over 40 years--but she preps the bird now).
8) since I was grilling veggies, she took on the gravy for the giblet gravy--she's a master at it--smooth, lumpless, flavorful. I had the giblets long prepped, par-boiling for hours.
9) No pumpkin pie. I LOVE pumpkin pie and make a fine one---but it HATES me and makes me, inevitably sick. It doesn't agree with my wife too well, either, and neither son likes it. Also nothing with sweet potatoes--I get the same reaction. Pity, because I also LOVE glazed yams sauted with lots of onions till they are black and the onions crisp---but, same as pumpkin, they HATE me!
10) Plenty of food, eating leftovers happily.
11) Family. Family. Family.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:49 am We are thankful for many things but first and foremost:
1) for the first time since 2019 we were able to get together. Our eldest, living and working in Santa Monica, was finally able to come home. While here, we were able to arrange for him to get his Covid booster.
Other things:
2) We are all healthy
3) My cheesecake was the best ever, and, for the first time in 36 years of making it, it didn't split! No graham cracker crumbs in the stores so one pack of graham crackers in the food processor et voila!
4) My wife's fabulous matzoh stuffing, which, unusually, she struggled with Thursday, came out delicious.
5) There was no cornbread stuffing in the stores, so I baked a simple cornbread, cubed it, added all kinds of herbs, and toasted it. That and FRESH sage made it the best bread stuffing ever. Mushrooms, celery, roasted chestnuts, sweet grilled Italian sausage, and chicken stock all go into it-- a complete meal itself.
6) I always like to make a change, so this year I marinated asparagus, brussels sprouts, and portabella mushrooms in balsamic dressing, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil for hours and hours, then grilled them in a grilling basket outside. The flames were MAGNFICENT as they nicely charred, just a little, the veggies.
7) My wife's turkey, roasted in an oiled brown paper bag, was awesome--not dry. (The brown paper bag is my trick--been doing it for over 40 years--but she preps the bird now).
8) since I was grilling veggies, she took on the gravy for the giblet gravy--she's a master at it--smooth, lumpless, flavorful. I had the giblets long prepped, par-boiling for hours.
9) No pumpkin pie. I LOVE pumpkin pie and make a fine one---but it HATES me and makes me, inevitably sick. It doesn't agree with my wife too well, either, and neither son likes it. Also nothing with sweet potatoes--I get the same reaction. Pity, because I also LOVE glazed yams sauted with lots of onions till they are black and the onions crisp---but, same as pumpkin, they HATE me!

That was a feast YT, it makes me hungry just reading it. Glad your oldest son could be there and got his booster.

highdesert wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:00 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:49 am We are thankful for many things but first and foremost:
Other things:
2) We are all healthy

That was a feast YT, it makes me hungry just reading it. Glad your oldest son could be there and got his booster.
Ironically, we didn't have THAT many dishes--we used to have many more but too much got wasted.
Turkey
Stuffing (2 kinds)
Braised vegies
Cornbread and Sourdough bread
Giblet gravy
Cranberry jelly
and
Desserts: Cheese cake and chocolate cake.
Wine, soda, water, coffee.

But it was DELICIOUS!!!!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."