Breakfast at Epiphany's

Does anyone else have a similar experience with the Dillon Catalog?

I've had some business over the years with Dillon Precision and am currently on their mailing list for catalogs. Paging thru one the other morning while eating my morning gruel, my wife asked if they had a catalog for women shooters. About a third the way into my response, I realized I'd been trapped. Being a guy, I hadn't really thought there was anything off-putting about it, but then I started to think. Something I rarely and poorly do. I'm a grown man in my 60's, married, more than once, do I really need sex to motivate me to purchase shooting equipment? Remington was sued into bankruptcy for their marketing practice. This looks like it could be another possible legal point of attack.

A recent post I made caused me to (re)think some of the questionable uses which I've put guns to over the years. I've been lucky. Another interesting thread here addresses when bullets meet automotive glass. It always impresses me just what a bullet or an ounce of shot can do, nudged by a little powder. It helps to occasionally be reminded to be respectful.

Have requested via email to stop the catalogs. Time will tell. As I have internet access, I don't need to do any more business with USPS or Waste Management than necessary. Guns are many things, but glamorous need not be one of them. It doesn't help the pro gun effort to present them in this way and seems an easy target for those wishing to denigrate. Another recent post here points out the often absurd portrayal of guns by the entertainment industry. With ammo in short supply, we shouldn't be giving any to the enemy.

Or am I just an old fart?
Getting old, or is it just me?

Re: Breakfast at Epiphany's

I haven’t gotten one of those catalogs in a long time (couple houses ago).

Reloading equipment and guns in catalogs is enough for me. I get excited enough pouring over the latest Natchez catalog. I don’t need women casted in a hyper sexualized role or subservient manner to sell me weaponry or optics. I think it’s it’s a pretty archaic advertising format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:36 pm I haven’t gotten one of those catalogs in a long time (couple houses ago).

Reloading equipment and guns in catalogs is enough for me. I get excited enough pouring over the latest Natchez catalog. I don’t need women casted in a hyper sexualized role or subservient manner to sell me weaponry or optics. I think it’s it’s a pretty archaic advertising format.

Unfortunately for a lot of the gun and gun equipment buying public, sex sells. Looking at much of the right wing militia type that was in the 1/6 action at the Capital that is probably about as close as they come to the real thing. :sarcasm:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I have yet to see a reloading catalog with a scantily clad lass pulling the lever. Nonetheless, I see women as a tremendously undertapped source of consumers in the shooting sports. I'm pretty sure "fun" is gender neutral. I might support a law making a pink gun to require a fine or something.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

papajim2jordan wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:04 pm Does anyone else have a similar experience with the Dillon Catalog?

I've had some business over the years with Dillon Precision and am currently on their mailing list for catalogs. Paging thru one the other morning while eating my morning gruel, my wife asked if they had a catalog for women shooters. About a third the way into my response, I realized I'd been trapped. Being a guy, I hadn't really thought there was anything off-putting about it, but then I started to think. Something I rarely and poorly do. I'm a grown man in my 60's, married, more than once, do I really need sex to motivate me to purchase shooting equipment? Remington was sued into bankruptcy for their marketing practice. This looks like it could be another possible legal point of attack.

A recent post I made caused me to (re)think some of the questionable uses which I've put guns to over the years. I've been lucky. Another interesting thread here addresses when bullets meet automotive glass. It always impresses me just what a bullet or an ounce of shot can do, nudged by a little powder. It helps to occasionally be reminded to be respectful.

Have requested via email to stop the catalogs. Time will tell. As I have internet access, I don't need to do any more business with USPS or Waste Management than necessary. Guns are many things, but glamorous need not be one of them. It doesn't help the pro gun effort to present them in this way and seems an easy target for those wishing to denigrate. Another recent post here points out the often absurd portrayal of guns by the entertainment industry. With ammo in short supply, we shouldn't be giving any to the enemy.

Or am I just an old fart?
I totally get where you’re coming from. Guns have become so tactically focused every way you look at it. Gun people aren’t just buying “guns”, they’re buying combat rifles, combat pistols, night vision, plate carriers, magazine carriers, helmets, etc. Then they throw in the sex angle and yeah, not all that cool.

I keep asking… Whatever happened to sport shooters?
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

I have found there are very few sport shooters at my local rifle and pistol ranges. Everyone seems to be "training" rather than shooting for the pure enjoyment of shooting. But they can still be found at the trap/skeet ranges.

Once I stopped carrying a gun professionally, I was delighted to get rid of my tupperware wonder-nine, and put my attention towards sport shooting, rather than combat shooting. I find it very relaxing, but combat training is much less so. Maybe its just me.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

I'm thinking of the Glock ads, "Confidence fits every lifestyle." Maybe I lost the plot somewhere - and remember, I'm here - but EDC concealed carry and confidence don't seem congruent to me. If you feel the need to go armed constantly, seems to me that you're not very confident about your safety or ability to ensure it without resorting to violence.

For some of us, that's legit. Live under threat of an abusive ex? Go walkabout often in the hinterlands? I get it. You have reasons. Not sure most carriers fit that bill.

I appreciate dangerous jewelry as much as the next person. Still, I loathe the notion that there's a whole industry dedicated to convincing me that money I could spend on travel or books or donating to worthier causes would be better spent preparing for civil unrest.

Breakfast at Epiphany's

wings wrote:I'm thinking of the Glock ads, "Confidence fits every lifestyle." Maybe I lost the plot somewhere - and remember, I'm here - but EDC concealed carry and confidence don't seem congruent to me. If you feel the need to go armed constantly, seems to me that you're not very confident about your safety or ability to ensure it without resorting to violence.

For some of us, that's legit. Live under threat of an abusive ex? Go walkabout often in the hinterlands? I get it. You have reasons. Not sure most carriers fit that bill.

I appreciate dangerous jewelry as much as the next person. Still, I loathe the notion that there's a whole industry dedicated to convincing me that money I could spend on travel or books or donating to worthier causes would be better spent preparing for civil unrest.
You might feel differently if you had black and brown kids in a heavily racist area.

I agree that it’s sad commentary on the state of our republic to feel a need to be armed.

We had to secure a first amendment lawyer as the local city tried to unconstitutionally threaten arrest (via the city attorney) for my wife for speaking out against the “sanctuary city for the unborn.” During a public council meeting. They threatened her with arrest the next day On a BS “disorderly conduct” charge. We live in dark times.

One of these nut jobs or their agents could come after my wife or my family because of what we represent (and how we look) and I intend to be prepared. They are angry and hateful to have their power challenged; one of the council members is a proud boy and another was at the insurrection. I’m not fearful or paranoid; but I assess risk and plan accordingly.

Everyone should be able to access their own need to carry without condemnation or judgement from others. It’s none of anyone else’s business.
Last edited by sikacz on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Some people need to go armed, and I support that. I'm here. I don't just mean LGC. My end of rural Ohio ain't much different.

My objection is to a mass-marketing campaign aimed at convincing people who don't live under any reasonable expectation of violence that purchasing a firearm will assuage their emotional needs. There's a range of options between "shooting is fun!" and "the police aren't coming, who's going to defend your family?" when it comes to advertising, but "Buy our product to feel better about yourself" seems remarkably shameless to me.

wings wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 pm Some people need to go armed, and I support that. I'm here. I don't just mean LGC. My end of rural Ohio ain't much different.

My objection is to a mass-marketing campaign aimed at convincing people who don't live under any reasonable expectation of violence that purchasing a firearm will assuage their emotional needs. There's a range of options between "shooting is fun!" and "the police aren't coming, who's going to defend your family?" when it comes to advertising, but "Buy our product to feel better about yourself" seems remarkably shameless to me.
It’s a fine line, but in the end only the individual can determine their own need. You or someone else might not appreciate their need, but it’s real to them. That is the hard thing about liberal concepts.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

You just don't read, do you. Self defense is a human right. Nobody here has said anything different.

This thread is about marketing and the use of corporate admongers using stupid emotional ploys to push people to buy things above and beyond what they need in order to bolster the bottom line. I'm sorry that your defensiveness about carrying gets in the way of recognizing the abuse of psychology for the ends of capital.

The Emotional Ploy is one on the strongest ploys in advertising especially for something that isn't a basic need. examples abound. You can't enjoy watching the sport unless you have a crowd of people around and you are drinking Pisswater beer or you too can be driving the latest new sports sedan like a formula race car driver on a New York street maybe you will attract more men or women if you use this deodorant. The same is being used with gun ads. It's all about wanting you to spend money on items that may or may not meet the actual needs of the buyer. Automobile advertising has been doing that ever since Henry ford introduced the Model T.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

My objection is to a mass-marketing campaign aimed at convincing people who don't live under any reasonable expectation of violence that purchasing a firearm will assuage their emotional needs
It’s the nature of marketing to present a case. It’s for people to determine their own need.

lurker wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:37 pm it recently dawned on me that women must deal with something remarkably close to sexual harassment all day every day their entire lives and there's just insane pressure on them to buy into it.
Probably where I should have started with this. Our letter carrier is a woman. Doubt she enjoys seeing this sort of advertising day in day out. Probably goes both ways. I thought computers were to usher in the paperless new world. Targets not withstanding.
You’ll need to get back at it.
Getting old, or is it just me?

My dad got me a gun before I was marketed to. After that I saw marketing, but I don't think any gun but the 1911 was successfully marketed to me. I didn't get one until I retired. But I had spent a whole lifetime being marketed to by 1911 fans. Eventually they were successful. I never needed one. Wanted. Got. Turns out it's a fun gun to shoot.

I have never hunted nor shot anything alive. Killed a bunch of paper. Some bottles when I was younger. Come to think of it, my single action Vaquero might be a successful market, too. Lone Ranger. Roy Rogers. Marshall Dillon. Ah. That's how this thread started. Dillon. Made me spend money. No regrets.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack