While It's Apart

Project restoring a vintage 10/22 I was wondering about if it's worth it to do a conversion to a .22WMR ?
This all started when I found another old box of .22 with 2 .22 and one .22WMR in it. Reminded me of my old Ruger wheel gun in .22WMR. What a teaser it is.

I saw stuff about it on the interwebs. Sure looks easier with an AR but this is this.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”
Attachments
.22WMR.jpg

Re: While It's Apart

I wouldn't, price on 22WMR is high, and it doesn't tend to be as accurate as 22LR. I think the cartridge tried to bridge the gap between rimfire and varmint rounds. But it is about the same cost of .223 rem ammo, so not worth it to me.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

I am the last person to say, don't do it, if you have the itch. I thought you were considering it and shared my opinion on it as a tool.

They are fun to shoot, I had a pump action 22WMR as a kid I loved, I just sold it because I didn't use it. We used 22lr for close and centerfire beyond.

If you must have a 22WMR have you considered the Keltec pistol? They are fun, I have the 22lr version!
Old School

Completely understood and you are a great resource for the community I must say.

Maybe a better barrel would help the round as far a accuracy. I may put a trigger kit in the old one. Not sure I want to put 2 much into it at this point.
But I would like a .22WMR. Prolly not a pistol. I remember the ole Ruger would crack your eardrums even with Kleenex in them. :)

FWIW the Magpul stock you recommended just came in. I'm going to use it one the new stainless and the stainless stock is going on the old one, camo'd. All the paint cans came in so I'm gonna get on it soon.

I have a new to me Winchester Model 67 in mint condition I need to take to the range too. Gotta get back into the .22 groove.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

.22 WMR is a tough thing to do in a semi-auto; the cartridge as loaded by most manufacturers is less than accommodating to a semi-auto mechanism. It mostly has to do with powder type, powder charges, and pressure curves. That's why Ruger dropped the magnum 10/22 pretty quick; customers weren't happy when they found out their rifles only worked with a couple of loads.

So if you can source the correct parts and build it up; great. But you'll find there are a lot of .22 mag loads that won't cycle the action. You'll have to find the 2-3 loads that will cycle the action and be content to just shoot those. If that's fine, then go for it.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

From what I heard Ruger had trouble converting the 22WMR to the 10/22 platform.
But, there are plenty of semi automatic 22wmr that are reliable so I don't think it is the cartridge.
I think the main deterrent for most people is the cost of ammo and the cartridge is not known for accuracy.
Old School

I have the Kel-Tec PMR-30 and 2 of the CMR-30 carbines. They are the most fun firearms I have ever used. I have no trouble with them because I bought the maglula loader and the loading of the magazines is what created most of the problems people had. I pay less than $.25 per round when I can find them and feel as well armed as I was in Vietnam, especially with the 30 round pistol and matching magazines for the carbines and 240 rounds loaded in magazines and ready.

Capnzap wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:14 pm I have the Kel-Tec PMR-30 and 2 of the CMR-30 carbines. They are the most fun firearms I have ever used. I have no trouble with them because I bought the maglula loader and the loading of the magazines is what created most of the problems people had. I pay less than $.25 per round when I can find them and feel as well armed as I was in Vietnam, especially with the 30 round pistol and matching magazines for the carbines and 240 rounds loaded in magazines and ready.
Well heck. Very cool. Never heard of the gun.
Thanks.