Re: CCI Stingers in stock

Bsmithwins wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:12 pm Every place that sells ammo in the PDX metro that I've been in in the past 18 months looks like it was pillaged by Vikings...

BSW
Well, there's your problem. It probably was!

Also, o/

I've seen Stingers in and out of stock over the summer. Somewhat more reliably than Velocitors. OTOH, Winchester now has a Silvertip offering in .22LR - it seems to be a 37 grain fragmenting bullet driven by the same kind of powder charge, and it's going about 9 cents per round. Shoot decently - not as dirty as the Norma Tac-22 I tried earlier this summer, maybe not as accurate as Velocitors, but they should be just as effective for varminting or self defense.

lurker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:42 pm :welcome:
an intro thread, while not required would be nice. tell us what you shoot and where, stuff like that. maybe someone in your locale can hook you up. oh, and we like pics (of your guns) too! are you on the evil FB chapter page?
I was hoping nobody would notice I'm new here, but I'm not new...

I'm in the Portland OR metro area and I shoot pretty much anything. I'm biased towards military pattern rifles as they do pretty much everything except offer concealability or the ability to knock down birds.

I'm not really into precision shooting, if a rifle will hold 2 MOA it's plenty good for me, if a rifle won't hold 2 MOA it's probably either damaged or an AK (which I do have a soft spot for).

I haven't been shooting much since the before times and right now hanging out with a bunch of people of unknown vaccination status, even outdoors, isn't something I'm willing to do.

I am not on the Facebook. Not for any particular reason just never really saw the utility of it before the data hoovering came to light, and after that, well...

AK at 300 yard target
Galil ACE that was having FTEj, IWI fixed it after a trip back.
BSW

FYI
The BVAC, ArmsCor and CCI Stingers have slightly longer cartridge cases than a regular 22l. They are warned against using by some top of the live gun makers, like Volquartsen, because they can damage the chamber.

Understand that target guns have very tight "match" chambers, so shooting stingers in regular guns like Rugers will not be an issue.

Personally, I have always found them to have poor accuracy. I have found the mini-mags to be far more accurate and a better choice in my opinion.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

Oldschool wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:02 am FYI
The BVAC, ArmsCor and CCI Stingers have slightly longer cartridge cases than a regular 22l. They are warned against using by some top of the live gun makers, like Volquartsen, because they can damage the chamber.

Understand that target guns have very tight "match" chambers, so shooting stingers in regular guns like Rugers will not be an issue.

Personally, I have always found them to have poor accuracy. I have found the mini-mags to be far more accurate and a better choice in my opinion.
I'v read about the potential problems with Stingers and match barrels too.

I got a 10/22 take-down and am sampling different ammo for function & accuracy. My master plan is to find out what works best then buy a chunk when I find a deal*.

BSW

*Yes, I know deals on ammo are few and far between these days, but I can hope.

Bsmithwins wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:39 am
Oldschool wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:02 am FYI

I'v read about the potential problems with Stingers and match barrels too.

I got a 10/22 take-down and am sampling different ammo for function & accuracy. My master plan is to find out what works best then buy a chunk when I find a deal*.

BSW

*Yes, I know deals on ammo are few and far between these days, but I can hope.
If you are looking for a good mix of value and precision CCI standard velocity works well in just about every 22lr I have ever tried. In my target guns it shoots just as well as green label, Eley Club and Wolf Target. Tenex and some are better, but those prices are only for competition to me.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.