EU proposes new rule requiring USB-C chargers for devices including smartphones sold there.

Manufacturers will be forced to create a universal charging solution for phones and small electronic devices, under a new rule proposed by the European Commission (EC).

The aim is to reduce waste by encouraging consumers to re-use existing chargers when buying a new device.

All smartphones sold in the EU must have USB-C chargers, the proposal said.

Apple has warned such a move would harm innovation.

The tech giant is the main manufacturer of smartphones using a custom charging port, as its iPhone series uses an Apple-made "Lightning" connector.

"We remain concerned that strict regulation mandating just one type of connector stifles innovation rather than encouraging it, which in turn will harm consumers in Europe and around the world," the firm told the BBC.

It added that it aims to make every Apple device and usage carbon neutral by 2030.

Most Android phones come with USB micro-B charging ports, or have already moved to the more modern USB-C standard.

New models of the iPad and MacBook use USB-C charging ports, as do high-end phone models from popular Android manufacturers such as Samsung and Huawei.

The changes would apply to the charging port on the device body, whereas the end of the cable connecting to a plug could be USB-C or USB-A.

Around half of chargers sold with mobile phones in the European Union in 2018 had a USB micro-B connector, while 29% had a USB C connector and 21% a Lightning connector, a Commission impact assessment study in 2019 found.

The proposed rules will apply to:

smartphones
tablets
cameras
headphones
portable speakers
handheld video game consoles

Other products including earbuds, smart-watches and fitness trackers were not considered for technical reasons linked to size and use conditions.

The proposal also standardises fast charging speeds - meaning devices capable of fast charging will be charged at the same speeds.

EU politicians have been campaigning for a common standard for over a decade, with the Commission's research estimating that disposed of and unused charging cables generate more than 11,000 tonnes of waste per year.

In the European Union, around 420 million mobile phones and other portable electronic devices were sold in the last year.

The average person owns around three mobile phone chargers, of which they use two regularly.

In 2009, there were more than 30 different chargers, whereas now most models stick to three - the USB-C, Lightning and USB micro-B.

"Having one common charging standard would be a victory for common sense in the eyes of consumers," Ben Wood, an analyst at CCS Insight said.

"Although Apple has made a strong argument for keeping its Lightning connector, given the one billion active iPhone users, some of its products including Mac and iPad now support USB-C.

"Hopefully it will eventually become a non-issue if Apple keeps adding USB-C to more devices."

It may be a number of years before the proposals come into effect.

The legislative proposal, known as a Directive, will be debated by the European Parliament and national governments.

MEPs and member states may suggest amendments to the proposal. Only once the EC has agreed these amendments, will the directive be enacted.

The EC hopes that will happen in 2022 - after which member states usually have two years to enact the rules into national law, and manufacturers will have 24 months to change their charging ports.

"We gave industry plenty of time to come up with their own solutions, now time is ripe for legislative action for a common charger. This is an important win for our consumers and environment and in line with our green and digital ambitions," Commission Vice President Margrethe Vestager said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58665809
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: EU proposes new rule requiring USB-C chargers for devices including smartphones sold there.

One reason I've avoided Apple and some Compact/Dell PC's due to proprietary components over the years. Also what got me started building my own PC's back when. Now I just buy refurbs and throw in trash when they crap out. Choices change over the years, so it seems. LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Re: EU proposes new rule requiring USB-C chargers for devices including smartphones sold there.

The USB C chargers are much better and more robust than the lightning cable or micro USBs. I’ve had USB Cs for cameras, etc and I much prefer them.

I’m sure the answer in the United sates would just be to let the “market sort it out.” If Europe can buy USB C iPhones I’m sure they’d sell them here too, and I’d prefer them.

I’m mainly an iPhone user out of laziness to not learn a new OS or have a different app account. I don’t think Apple or iPhones are in anyway better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stiff wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:05 pm Of course Apple is gonna say that it stifles innovation, and I don’t buy it. This is the company that has been using the lightning connector on their phones since 2012. Innovation my ass.

I have been using iPhones for more than a decade, but it doesn’t stop me from hating Apple’s naked money grab.
th Cithe

They lost a lawsuit to Fortnite/Epic Games over their stranglehold on payments in the Apple Store, hopefully it's just the start.
Last week, Apple lost a court case to Fortnite creator Epic Games and was ordered to allow developers to send their app's users to outside payment systems. Opening Apple's ecosystem up to third-party payment options translates to freeing users from paying Apple 15% to 30% commission fees. This turn of events threaten the revenue Apple gains by charging fees to app developers and therefore, it could be a game changer for companies like Spotify.
https://www.yahoo.com/now/apples-epic-l ... 23398.html

Tim Cook personally testified in that case. Don't know if Apple is going to appeal it to the 9th Circuit. I wish everyone would go to USB-C, I agree I think it's better.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CDFingers wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:00 am My local paper covered this this morning under the headline, "And one to charge them all."
They'll need to reference the Silmarils or the Two Trees of Valinor to REALLY impress me.

Back on-topic: This charging rule would be so excellent. Wish they'd apply it to laptops as well. Over the years, we've had at least five mutually incompatible power connections to Apple laptops, with three of those in current use.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote:
CDFingers wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:00 am My local paper covered this this morning under the headline, "And one to charge them all."
They'll need to reference the Silmarils or the Two Trees of Valinor to REALLY impress me.

Back on-topic: This charging rule would be so excellent. Wish they'd apply it to laptops as well. Over the years, we've had at least five mutually incompatible power connections to Apple laptops, with three of those in current use.
Melkor sowed poison in the minds of the big tech companies to confuse them with greed in search of proprietary charging systems & to go against the will of Illuvitar’s song for the harmony of middle earth. Suckerberg of the realm white-plains crafted theSimirils of social media with the fomenting magical war of social discord and wrath on the undying realm of the ether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:08 pm Melkor sowed poison in the minds of the big tech companies to confuse them with greed in search of proprietary charging systems & to go against the will of Illuvitar’s song for the harmony of middle earth.
And henceforth was called by name, "Morgoth".

I'm the only Android user in my family. My wife and sons use iPhones. I have an older one, handed down from my wife to my younger son to me that's a very small SE. I use it only for a few applications, but it's primary use was/is when my wife travelled, mostly on United, you can't text from the air, only PM. Since she was once on a 2 engine plane that lost an engine and was forced to an emergency landing in Scranton, PA, I keep it for that. But it's a royal PIA and I'd love to be rid of it!

Ironically, I have an iPad mini because I've yet to see an Android tablet that can match it---unless I need to do something outside of Apple's super-annoying hideous "Gilded Cage". Then... as expected, I fume and curse at it! Even though, supposedly, the iPad and iPhone use the same IOS, I find it much easier (though not intuitive) on the iPad.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:57 am
INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:08 pm Melkor sowed poison in the minds of the big tech companies to confuse them with greed in search of proprietary charging systems & to go against the will of Illuvitar’s song for the harmony of middle earth.
And henceforth was called by name, "Morgoth".

I'm the only Android user in my family. My wife and sons use iPhones. I have an older one, handed down from my wife to my younger son to me that's a very small SE. I use it only for a few applications, but it's primary use was/is when my wife travelled, mostly on United, you can't text from the air, only PM. Since she was once on a 2 engine plane that lost an engine and was forced to an emergency landing in Scranton, PA, I keep it for that. But it's a royal PIA and I'd love to be rid of it!

Ironically, I have an iPad mini because I've yet to see an Android tablet that can match it---unless I need to do something outside of Apple's super-annoying hideous "Gilded Cage". Then... as expected, I fume and curse at it! Even though, supposedly, the iPad and iPhone use the same IOS, I find it much easier (though not intuitive) on the iPad.
Well what can I say but make sure your iPhone is updated the the latest iOS. Check the App store and you might just find and app that can do what you need. I have been using Apple products since 3B.M. that 3 years before Macintosh. I have also built and ran MSDOS/ Windows machines was an MCP in Windows and Windows NT. I have a Dell Laptop and to get it to do anything with Microsoft Windows it sucks. Just trying to connect to an ethernet connected Brother laser printer took over an hour. trying to find where the drivers and setup in the menus and downloading it. It is sitting in my wife's office. She did use it for her work by the college has gone to the Surface Pro for their admins. That does seem to work for them. As for setting up that printer for the Mac and iPads is was simple the MacOS and the iOS downgraded the drivers from brother and did an install al done no issue. My neighbor just bought the new iPad Pro with the M1 chip he is running Microsoft Office on it and says it is faster than his laptop computer. To each his on.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,