"Gun manufactures quietly target young boys using social media"

Gun manufactures quietly target young boys using social media
"It doesn't take a marketing expert to understand what they're trying to appeal to," Kris Brown, President of Brady, said of Smith & Wesson's marketing practices in an interview with Salon. "They're trying to market the gun as a totem – a substitute for masculinity to teenagers."
Apartment from its potential to mislead buyers, the company's halo effect is especially concerning because it's "attractive to a certain subset of young men who are fixated on law enforcement and military," Alla Leifkowitz, Director of Affirmative Litigation at Everytown and a signatory of the group's complaint, said in an interview.
The phenomenon, Everytown's complaint alleges, is especially controversial because these personalities routinely fail to disclose their financial linkages to Smith & Wesson, despite promoting the company's products. The result, Brown told Salon, is that the company's influencers are able to pass off their paid promotions as authentic opinions – and in the process, avoid a relationship with youngsters feels "transactional."
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re:

Yeah, I fell victim to it at the youthful age of 61!
No, wait--that was Trump getting elected with Russian help and unleashing all the neo-nazis that convinced me.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re:

Opinions by a brady anti, predictable comments. Marketing, same applies to all manner of products, some are dangerous in the hands of immature youth, like cars.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re:

Brady: United Against Gun Violence (formerly “Handgun Control, Inc”.,
For me it was those evil toy makers like Mattel producing them bad cap guns and the evil Hollywood movie corporations making cowboy movies.
Hell I had a matching pair of six shooters on a cowboy rig by the time I was six years old that Mattel, Tom Mix and Colt used to prey on and influence us little boys.
It's like the evil addictive marijuana that leads one up the road to drug addiction. Look at me now, 66 and still influenced by gun manufacturers to this day I can hardly look at an ad for guns and not want to buy it , hold it, feel it's cold steel up against my .......... oh never mind.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Re:

Yeah, some transcription problems.

They never show how a gun is sold as a totem or substitute for masculinity. Do we just suppose they made that up?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Re:

tonguengroover wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 am
Brady: United Against Gun Violence (formerly “Handgun Control, Inc”.,
For me it was those evil toy makers like Mattel producing them bad cap guns and the evil Hollywood movie corporations making cowboy movies.
Hell I had a matching pair of six shooters on a cowboy rig by the time I was six years old that Mattel, Tom Mix and Colt used to prey on and influence us little boys.
It's like the evil addictive marijuana that leads one up the road to drug addiction. Look at me now, 66 and still influenced by gun manufacturers to this day I can hardly look at an ad for guns and not want to buy it , hold it, feel it's cold steel up against my .......... oh never mind.
I thought the same thing I had toy guns since I could remember in fact all my buddies did too. I had a pair of Circle N Colt 45 replicas the looked and worked just like the real things. They had revolving cylinders and you loaded the cartridges with a sack on cap just like a real Colt 45. When I was real young, Pre-school, it was the Lone Ranger and Davy Crockett. Later it was the WWII war movies and TV shows. As I got olderI had a Mattel Tommy gun and plastic 1911 and snub nose 38. The boys in the neighborhood played Army by then. We lived on a military base in base housing. I remember the ads on TV for the toy guns. Imagine the Brady Group trying to tell us that guns were bad when a large percentage of the Dads were veterans of Combat in WWII or Korea and career military.

I also remember my Dad teaching me from the early age the difference between a toy gun and a real firearm. Also the four rules of firearm safety.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re:

I've yet to meet a child who won't pick up a toy gun and play with it. Boy, girl, doesn't matter. I had cap guns as a child, wheelgun and bottomfeeder replicas. Here I am on a forum for gun enthusiasts. Don't know that the two are related.

Still, marketers have one job. They aren't paid to encourage responsible gun ownership and use. That's on us. They are paid to identify populations that are susceptible to marketing, and then market the shit out of them.

We are one of those populations. You know, responsible enthusiasts prone to buy hardware we almost certainly don't need, but well-off enough to indulge in it anyway. You don't get more guns than people in a country by selling just enough product to satisfy everyone's basic needs for hunting and self defense. The earlier you can turn someone into one of us, the more money they make. Whether or not some of the young men they get fascinated with firearms go on to shoot up a school makes little difference to the people who get bonuses based on sales numbers. Modern capitalism at work.