Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

tonguengroover wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:49 am Always the same ole excuse, I wanted to research it more. doh
Yes, the "vaccine hesitant", different from the anti-vaxxers. I suspect their children were all immunized for childhood diseases, but they failed to immunize themselves.

The Macias family at the beach.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

At Least 1 In 500 Americans Have Died Of COVID-19

On March 29, 2020, Dr. Anthony Fauci went on CNN and told viewers that the coronavirus pandemic could cause between 100,000 and 200,000 deaths in the United States. He admitted that he did not like to make a prediction about “such a moving target,” given that “you could so easily be wrong.”

And this prediction was indeed wrong.

At least 664,000 people across the country have died of COVID-19 since the crisis began around 20 months ago, according to data from Johns Hopkins University reported Wednesday.

That means at least 1 in 500 people in the U.S. have died of the coronavirus, as CNN first pointed out. Around 0.2% of our neighbors, friends and loved ones are gone.

Furthermore, the true death toll is likely higher due to a lack of testing early on in the pandemic and differences in how deaths are reported between states. After the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analyzed case data from February 2020 to May 2021, it estimated that the true number of U.S. COVID-19 deaths was actually 767,000 over that time period. The total would be even higher now.

When Fauci made his prediction in March 2020, the virus was mainly terrorizing New York City, which had reported fewer than 800 deaths at that point.

A lot, obviously, has changed since then. The current death toll has been fueled in large part by many Americans’ failure to follow basic public health guidelines such as masking indoors and getting the vaccine, once available.

And beyond mortality figures, many, many more people across the country are known to have contracted the virus ― the U.S. has recorded more than 41 million cases so far. Somewhere between 10% and 30% of those cases turn into what doctors and patients are calling long COVID ― cases where the patient experiences sometimes debilitating symptoms for weeks or months after infection.

Luckily there is some evidence that long COVID is less common in vaccinated people, and plenty of evidence that vaccination prevents infection and serious disease.

As of Wednesday morning, only 54% of Americans had been fully vaccinated, according to the CDC.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/1-in-500 ... a4cbd6df36

But to hear the Repugs tell it, we don't need mandates or requirements to be vaccinated. That COVID in no worse than the flu. Now what is worse we are just starting to go into the regular flu season and the Anti-Vaxxers won't take it ether. I don't know what the results would be for someone that has had the COVID Vaccine and gets the break through COVID and then the Flu. Would not be good.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Yesterday we had over 400 new cases of Covid-19 in Hidalgo County, Tx. We had over 200 new adults hospitalized with Covid-19 yesterday. We had 28 new pediatric Covid-19 cases yesterday. Around a quarter of ALL residents in Mission, Tx have had Covid-19.

Alfred E.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

I'm not at all a Howard Stern fan, but this was a 'happy' news article I enjoyed reading. Covid has indeed fixed some stupid.

https://www.tribute.ca/news/index.php/h ... 021/09/15/

Snip:
Five radio talk show hosts who had urged listeners not to get the COVID-19 vaccine have died in the past six weeks after contracting the coronavirus.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:21 pm I'm not at all a Howard Stern fan, but this was a 'happy' news article I enjoyed reading. Covid has indeed fixed some stupid.

https://www.tribute.ca/news/index.php/h ... 021/09/15/

Snip:
Five radio talk show hosts who had urged listeners not to get the COVID-19 vaccine have died in the past six weeks after contracting the coronavirus.
There is a fix for stupid. Death.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The US death rate is still over 1.6%. And, due to the murderous idiocy of most of the Republican governors, and even states with Democratic governors, but Republican super-majorities in the legislatures (Kentucky, North Carolina, etc), roughly 1/4 million Americans have died since Biden took office. The states that had HORRIBLE rates at the beginning and last winter--Cal, NY, NJ, etc, are NOT the ones contributing to the current death rates---it's all Fl, Tx, Alabama, Tennessee, etc.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:28 am The US death rate is still over 1.6%. And, due to the murderous idiocy of most of the Republican governors, and even states with Democratic governors, but Republican super-majorities in the legislatures (Kentucky, North Carolina, etc), roughly 1/4 million Americans have died since Biden took office. The states that had HORRIBLE rates at the beginning and last winter--Cal, NY, NJ, etc, are NOT the ones contributing to the current death rates---it's all Fl, Tx, Alabama, Tennessee, etc.
And increasingly it is the youth and young employed age group that are hospitalized or dying.

New Hidalgo County hospitalized Covid-19 stats for Thursday:

0-11 age group: 89
12-19: 47
20s: 23
30s: 47
40s: 34
50s: 18
60+: 17

And there were 275 NEW Covid-19 cases Thursday; over 1000 new cases just this week.

All the deaths this week were unvaccinated.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Thinning the herd mother nature’s way. I have empathy for children not yet able to be vaccinated, none for any adults. I laugh when I hear an adult claim they didn’t vaccinate and got Covid because they hadn’t done enough “research”. I have news for them, a “google” search is not research. Scientists in labs do research. Leave the research to professionals and take their advice which is overwhelming, get the f’n shot.
Side note, those concerned about side effects, well not taking a shot can have side effects as well, death. That’s one really final side effect.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

lurker wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 am just click on the reload button and play that encounter over. you did hit "save" first, right?
Some might believe in reincarnation....that’s a big game gamble. What’s the point if one doesn’t recall the mistakes of a past life. Not a game I’d play.

featureless wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 am Idaho is in a bad way, exporting patients to other states. Alberta is also, so not just a red USA phenomenon. I feel very badly for health care workers over the last 6 months. This misery was largely preventable. I'm also wondering what sort of wave the holiday season will gift us this year.
I’m cashing in on my Finnish “superpower”, being a hermit! It’s going to be rough I’d guess, roughest on the willingly ignorant and unvaccinated. I’m getting short on caring when people don’t care about others their inactions might hurt. At this point my uncharitable response is F’em. A quest for an afterlife is a big gamble, no guarantee it exists. I’m not a gambler, far too many know it alls are. Good riddance, my condolences to their victims, the ones not able to be vaccinated yet.

featureless wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 am Idaho is in a bad way, exporting patients to other states. Alberta is also, so not just a red USA phenomenon. I feel very badly for health care workers over the last 6 months. This misery was largely preventable. I'm also wondering what sort of wave the holiday season will gift us this year.

Yes, what started out as a rationing of health care in northern Idaho has been extended to the entire state. WA and UT hospitals are probably feeling it, but at one point UT hospitals weren't taking out of state patients. Oregon is in the midst of a surge so might not be taking any ID patients. Alberta is the Texas of Canada, it has oil and natural gas resources and is very conservative.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

More on the idiotic mess in Idaho.
COVID Crisis in Idaho Is So Bad Doctors Try to Transfer Patients Out of State

Due to the ongoing COVID pandemic, the state of Idaho is facing a health emergency so dire that doctors and nurses are attempting to transport patients to other states.

The Idaho Department of Health and Wellness declared on Thursday that the state is experiencing a hospital resource crisis. That declaration allows medical facilities to ration resources and the care of triage patients in order to adequately deal with the crush of hospitalizations due to COVID.

According to reporting from NBC News, doctors and nurses in Idaho have been contacting hospitals in other states across the West to see if they can transfer individual patients — with some calling 30 or more hospitals, across multiple states, in order to find space for even a single patient.

The situation is so urgent that doctors and nurses have reached out to medical facilities in states like Texas and Georgia. The crisis endangers both coronavirus patients and those who are hospitalized with unrelated ailments.

“We don’t have enough resources to adequately treat the patients in our hospitals, whether you are there for COVID-19, or a heart attack, or because of a car accident,” said Dave Jeppesen, the director of the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.

Hospitals are also being forced to improvise when it comes to patient care. A hospital in the city of Coeur d’Alene has tried to attract nurses to come and work at its location by offering a pay rate of $250 per hour. The hospital has also converted a conference room into a COVID overflow unit.

The state is currently identifying 69 new cases of coronavirus per day for every 100,000 of its residents — a rate that makes it the ninth highest in the nation, in terms of new cases being identified. Idaho has a COVID mortality rate that is 81 percent higher than the national average and the state ranks sixth highest for coronavirus per capita deaths per day.

The state’s leaders have proven that they cannot be depended on to mitigate the spread of the virus. Republican Gov. Brad Little, for instance, has promoted vaccines but doesn’t believe in vaccination mandates, and has not issued a statewide mask order in light of the crisis. In fact, he is planning to take legal action against the Biden administration over proposed vaccination rules for companies that employ over 100 workers.

Other leaders in the state, including health officials, have spread misinformation about COVID-19, possibly contributing to the worsening crisis.

Ryan Cole, a dermopathologist with no public health history, was appointed to Idaho’s Central District Board of Health (CDH) earlier this month. Cole, whom many describe as an anti-vaxxer, gave a presentation to America’s Frontline Doctors last month, an organization that is notorious for peddling falsehoods about the coronavirus. During the event, Cole called COVID vaccinations “clot shots,” and described vaccines as “needle rape.”

Cole’s fear mongering lies about the danger of vaccines may have also resulted in the state’s residents adopting an anti-vaccination stance. Despite the emergency resource crisis Idaho’s hospitals face, as of Thursday, only 40 percent of Idahoans are fully vaccinated.
https://truthout.org/articles/covid-cri ... -of-state/

With this severe COVID crisis we now see the stupidity rising with this.
Anti-vax doctor who described the COVID vaccine as 'needle rape' now appointed as a state public official

A doctor in Boise, Idaho, known for his adamant pushback against the COVID-19 vaccine, has been appointed to one of the largest public health boards in the state of Idaho.

Dr. Ryan Cole, who previously described the COVID vaccine as "fake" and as "needle rape," now serves on the Central District Board of Health in Idaho, according to The Washington Post. The controversial doctor was appointed to replace Dr. Ted Epperly, a 15-year board member who was ousted for embracing COVID restrictions to mitigate the spread of the virus. Cole, who was supported by the Ada County Republican Party, was selected by Republican county commissioners.

The publication reports that commissioners "liked his 'outsider' perspective and how he 'questioned' medical guidance." An example of Cole's stance on COVID mitigation was highlighted during an August 26th Zoom call when he condemned mask wearing.

"There's really statistically no efficacy in masks," Cole stated incorrectly during an August 26th Zoom call with Peace Valley Charter School, which was mulling over COVID-19 mitigation requirements to enforce for the new school year.

"I think we need to be prudent and say it's time to let children be children," Cole said.

Shortly after the announcement of Cole's appointment, medical professionals and public health experts quickly pushed back.

Speaking to Business Insider, Dr. David Pate expressed his concerns about Cole's appointment to the public health board. Pate made it clear that the ideologies Cole supporters are "simply not consistent" with the science and COVID guidance relied upon for public health.

He added, "And it's undermining our public health efforts. Dr. Cole is already using the cloak of his status as a licensed physician. He is using all of those things to give him an air of legitimacy. Now he will have this additional appointment that he can tout, that he is a public health board member."

The Idaho Medical Association also releases a statement condemning Cole's appointment as it argued that the selection process "favored politics over public health."
https://www.alternet.org/2021/09/anti-vax-doctor/

Unfortunately the stupidity in Idaho is likely spilling over into the neighboring red states causing even more problems.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Vaccine advisers to the US Food and Drug Administration voted unanimously Friday to recommend emergency use authorization of a booster dose of Pfizer’s vaccine six months after full vaccination in people 65 and older and those at high risk of severe Covid-19.

Members of the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee had rejected a broader application – to approve the use of booster doses of Pfizer’s vaccines in everyone 16 and older six months after they are fully vaccinated.

So the FDA offered a revised question to vote on.

Members of the committee expressed doubts about the safety of a booster dose in younger adults and teens, and complained about the lack of data about the safety and long term efficacy of a booster dose.

Remember: The meeting and vote is just the start of the process. It's the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who will decide whether or not they should be used.

The CDC has scheduled a meeting of its vaccine advisers for Sept. 22 and 23 — and CDC must give its stamp of approval for any booster doses to be officially given.

In a letter sent Thursday and obtained by CNN, the CDC urged local and state health officials to wait to administer boosters until both agencies had signed off.

Biden administration officials have previously announced a plan to begin administering booster doses to the general population during the week of Sept. 20, pending signoff from the FDA and CDC.

Third doses are already approved for certain immunocompromised people, but not for the general public.
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... index.html

If the CDC panel agrees and the FDA and CDC administrators agree, us oldsters will start getting our boosters later in September. All depends on the wording of the announcements by the FDA and CDC and if the booster is at 8, 6 or 5 months after the second dose.

Alberta is one of the more (if not most) conservative provinces. While I love the place, I've not been there in 12 years, nor much in touch with its political shifts.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

My BIL's ex wife and mother of his children (our now adult niece and nephew) is in the hospital with Covid-related blood clots in the lungs. Hope she makes it. Her and her husband have a couple of young 'uns. Anti vaxers, of course. This is as close as serious Covid has been, personally. I've known a lot of people who have had it at this point, several hospitalized, but this is the first extended family to be so. I am so very tired of the plague. And winter is coming with a baseline daily infection rate north of 100,000.

The WHO continues to stress that the developing countries still do not have vaccines enough for their populations, asking that rich countries do not give third booster shots yet without providing vaccines for the first Covid shots for people throughout the world. The calls for a booster moratorium in wealthy countries has largely been ignored...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/08/who-ext ... -year.html
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi