Re: not really sure where to put this, so here will do.

wings wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:40 pm Makes me wonder if there was a mouse that didn't make it. Fur is armor, and the fluffy ones are nigh indestructible.
Maybe, but they woke early in the morning--something like 4-5am brawling like they were REALLY gonna kill each other, knocking stuff off on to the floor. Like 2 intact toms fighting over a female in heat.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

This is our newest beastie at around 15 weeks, got him at 5 weeks. He’s a mini panther and just to remind me, he was on my lap on day recently, looked innocently at me and as quick as a flash bit me on the nose! Blood flowed and I laughed. Brave little bugger taking on someone that outweighs him by a 150 lbs!
949CCEE7-23AF-4C44-BEF4-24BF05855F9B.jpeg
This was the look...LoL..

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

We have two Bassets, Wilbur and Orville. They are four months apart in age, and are a few months over five years old.

A few years ago, we got (another) cat (my wife and I had a total of four cats when we moved in together, and all of them have since passed on to the great cat playground in the hereafter). Daisy, the new-to-us cat, showed up at a friend's apartment, and tried to move in with the friend, who is allergic to cats, so we took her in to try to find her people. No chip, but had been spayed, nobody answered the ads we placed, so Daisy became a "foster fail."

It was impossible to keep Daisy in the house. She figured out the dog door before the dogs did. She hunted--almost daily. She brought home much of what she caught, dead or alive (and often alive). We have trapped and removed rabbits, chipmunks, a Cardinal, at least two different opossums, and no telling how many small rodents.

And, of course, we couldn't catch all the small rodents.

We are now in the process of "de-mousing" our house--including having the ducts cleaned, considering removing the blown-in insulation to replace it after cleaning what mess rodents have left in/under it, and so on.

It's possible--probable, in fact--that the rodent problem existed before Daisy joined the household. We are certain that she has exacerbated the problem. It was with some regret that we had to rehome her to a friend's barn, where she will be able to enjoy her hunting with no restrictions.

As much as I enjoy cats (the old saw about "the more I know about people, the more I like my cat" holds for me, and has for half a century), her extreme hunting outside the house but not inside, and her tendency to bring live prey animals in the house, was untenable for us. I certainly wasn't going to euthanize her over it, but I had to find a solution that was humane to her and to us and that protected our physical health (mouse crap in HVAC ducts is a biohazard we aren't willing to keep dealing with).
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:28 pm
We are now in the process of "de-mousing" our house--including having the ducts cleaned, considering removing the blown-in insulation to replace it after cleaning what mess rodents have left in/under it, and so on.

It's possible--probable, in fact--that the rodent problem existed before Daisy joined the household. We are certain that she has exacerbated the problem. It was with some regret that we had to rehome her to a friend's barn, where she will be able to enjoy her hunting with no restrictions.

As much as I enjoy cats (the old saw about "the more I know about people, the more I like my cat" holds for me, and has for half a century), her extreme hunting outside the house but not inside, and her tendency to bring live prey animals in the house, was untenable for us. I certainly wasn't going to euthanize her over it, but I had to find a solution that was humane to her and to us and that protected our physical health (mouse crap in HVAC ducts is a biohazard we aren't willing to keep dealing with).
When we were down in Abaco in July for the first time in 18 months, I took a load to the local dump in our 20 year old Honda Stream and when I opened the third row and move around the seat, I found that the box of tissues in the car had been emptied, the tissues shredded and I had a nest--OF LIZARDS!!! :w00t:

We have 3 kinds of lizards. One is tiny, frequently smaller than a grass-hopper. They eat bugs, but shit everywhere. Don't want 'em in the house or car. Then there are the curly-tailed lizards. They are bigger, with a body as long as 4 or 5" long, and sometimes quite colorful. They are bold little things, also eat bugs, and live under the house, which we don't mind. They are one of the kinds that can break off their tail to escape a predator and grow it back. They, the sea turtles, and the local parrots are all "mascots" of the island.

Unfortunately, there are now iguanas, too. I say "unfortunately" because they are an invasive species and, while the numbers are still very small, there's no telling what havoc they might wreak. Of course, though, the feral pigs, dogs and cats may feast on them....
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

sikacz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 pm
lurker wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:25 pm i'm actually contemplating buying a motorcycle because i could maintain it myself. wtf.
And they take up less space when you work on them.
Usually much easier to work on than cars--easier on the back, too. Still, they aren't as simple as they once were. And space can be very cramped.

lurker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:14 am the big problem with plastic
https://www.consumerreports.org/environ ... ket-newtab
i try to recycle as much as i can, but most of it ends up in a landfill anyway.
the solution i suppose is to stop buying things and their packaging.
I cringe every time I walk past the frozen food cases and see those frozen vegetables with their own plastic steamers. Some are recyclable and some aren't, like take out food that is put in plastic containers. There are so many paper containers that work just as well and are biodegradable especially for takeaway foods.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan