Re: Biden Expands Vaccine Push With Mandates For Private Sector

The parallels between this pandemic and the more famous pandemics are astounding. When this hit, I went straight to the Spanish-flu and was astounded that nothing has really changed. And you go back and back, and so much remains the same despite lessons from the past.

You always have the:
Under-reactors
Over-reactors
Deniers
Blamers
Zealots
Profiteers
Saviors
And then there's the rational majority...but because they're rational, they don't make too much noise.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

President Biden’s far-reaching assertion of presidential authority to require vaccines for 80 million American workers relies on a first-of-its-kind application of a 51-year-old law that grants the federal government the power to protect employees from “grave dangers” at the workplace.

White House officials believe the emergency authority provided by Congress under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 is a legitimate and legal way to combat the coronavirus pandemic. But they acknowledge that the law’s emergency provisions, which were employed in previous decades to protect workers from asbestos and other industrial dangers, have never been used to require a vaccine.
And experts said the administration appeared to be on strong legal ground because it was relying on existing authority granted to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration by the legislative branch and supported by decades of judicial rulings.

“The OSHA Act gives employees a right to a safe and healthy workplace,” said Robert I. Field, a law professor at Drexel University. “Having a vaccinated work force is an essential component of having a safe and healthy workplace. Being exposed to a potentially deadly virus is neither safe nor healthy. So OSHA would have that authority.”

Mr. Biden’s call to use that authority was a sharp shift in tone and approach. Flinging aside the caution that has characterized his administration’s earlier tack toward vaccine mandates, the president said he would use the OSHA rules to require vaccines for as many as 80 million workers in private companies across the country, along with health care workers, teachers, federal employees, government contractors and more. Those who still refused would be required to submit to at least weekly testing to prove they were not infected.
But in a statement, White House officials said the president was “committed to pulling every lever possible” in the fight against the pandemic. The statement said, “The reason that the Department of Labor is able to take this critical step to protect Americans from Covid-19 is that Congress passed a law that requires the department to take action when it finds grave danger to workers.”

“This action is both clearly legal and needed to help save lives and stop the spread of Covid-19,” it said.

White House officials said that OSHA, an agency in the Labor Department, would draft an “emergency temporary standard” over the next several weeks that requires companies to take certain actions.

To impose an emergency standard, the law requires the administration to show that “workers face a hazard in the workplace that poses a grave danger to their health or safety.” They must also prove that the method being used to mitigate those dangers would be effective in keeping workers safe.

In the case of the Covid-19 vaccine, the administration will argue that the death and illness caused by the Delta variant of the coronavirus poses a “grave danger” to workers across the country, and that the vaccine is an extremely effective way of preventing severe illness, hospitalization and death.
Once the regulations are in place, OSHA will enforce them using the usual tools provided to the agency: They will collect reports of violations and will send inspectors out to businesses. And for those businesses that refuse to enact the rules, the agency can impose $13,600 fines for minor violations and $136,000 for major ones.

Kathryn Bakich, a senior vice president at Segal, an employee benefits consulting company, noted that “this is the first vaccine mandate ever applicable to private employers.” But she added that many employers were already “moving toward mandatory vaccination policies at great speed.”

Wendy K. Mariner, a professor emeritus of health law, ethics and human rights at the Boston University School of Public Health, said that the administration’s logic made legal sense.

“Employers have a duty of care to maintain a safe workplace under the Occupational Safety and Health Act,” she said. Given the transmissibility of the virus, she said “it is quite sensible to require vaccination (or testing/masking for those with contraindications to the vaccine; and accommodations for those with disabilities under the A.D.A.) to protect all employees, as well as customers, clients, and patients.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/10/us/p ... cines.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:01 pm Lee (?) in Tennessee is also holding strong and HCA is dealing with thousands of hospital workers who won't get vaccinated.
Any healthcare worker that refuses to be vaccinated has a short circuit between the ears. This is especially true for nurses that had to take a course in Microbiology where I’m sure the instructor taught about pandemics. I know my wife taught about just what is happening for twenty years in her college microbiology course.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I am old enough to remember when during many summers all the pools were closed and all the summer fairs and carnivals canceled and when parents were terrified by the threat of polio.

I and one younger brother were in the groups that received both the Salk and later Sabin vaccines. All of my other younger brothers and sister got only the Sabin
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

During his speech on Thursday, Biden noted that United Airlines, Disney, and Tyson Foods were already complying with the forthcoming rules.

Then he pointedly added “even Fox News” to that group already playing by the new rules.

Indeed, memos from the company from July and another in August lay out how the company has had detailed systems in place for weeks that likely ensure virtually all their employees will be either vaccinated or regularly tested.

In contrast to the tone of much of their coverage late Thursday and Friday, Fox’s actual policy remains and shows no signs of changing. Virtually all of Fox News employees need to either provide proof of a vaccination or be tested regularly. Employees must report their vaccination status and there is testing on-site for employees in the New York office. The company even has a mask mandate in confined spaces like control rooms.

Another conservative-leaning channel, Newsmax, also offered up critical coverage of the new rule but appears to be willing to comply with it.

The station is run by Chris Ruddy, who is a longtime friend of Trump's and a member of his Mar-a-Lago Club. His channel has long offered a platform for vaccine criticism including one notorious example of a host saying vaccines were “against nature.”

A statement to Yahoo Finance Friday said that “Newsmax has encouraged its readers, viewers and employees to get the COVID vaccine.” The statement added: “Newsmax has and will comply with all employee health requirements as set forth by the government.”

There has been at least one example of a pro-Trump outlet stating it won't comply with the Biden mandate. Daily Wire, a conservative website, announced that it will resist the vaccine requirement. "We'll use every tool at our disposal including legal action to resist," the site's CEO said in a video.

Other large companies in the Trump immediate orbit have likewise more often chosen to comply with health restrictions instead of defying public health guidelines.

Trump’s own hotels offer their guests extensive assurances online about their compliance with COVID regulations. Hotels like the Washington, DC location currently have an indoor mask mandate.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-fr ... 31243.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sig230 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:16 pm I am old enough to remember when during many summers all the pools were closed and all the summer fairs and carnivals canceled and when parents were terrified by the threat of polio.

I and one younger brother were in the groups that received both the Salk and later Sabin vaccines. All of my other younger brothers and sister got only the Sabin
They still do it on rare occasion when there are meningitis outbreaks in kids.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis Says He’ll Punish Cities For Requiring Vaccines

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) announced Monday that he was introducing new penalties for cities and counties that require public employees to be vaccinated, even as COVID-19 cases rise dramatically in the state.

“I don’t support mandates at all,” the governor said at a news conference.

“If a government agency in the state of Florida forces a vaccine as a condition of employment, that violates Florida law,” DeSantis said, and the audience cheered. “You will face a $5,000 fine for every single violation.”

He noted that this could add up to millions of dollars in penalties for local governments.

The governor also had a worker speak at the news conference, who peddled lies about the vaccine and was not corrected.

“The vaccine changes your RNA,” the worker said, which is false. “We don’t want to have the vaccine. … They’re taking away our freedom and liberty.”

All COVID-19 vaccines available in the U.S. — whether from Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson — have been extensively studied and found to be safe and effective, particularly when it comes to preventing hospitalizations and deaths.

Reported COVID-19 cases in Florida have skyrocketed in recent months. The average number of daily cases across the state jumped from around 1,500 in June to over 15,000 this month.

As the highly contagious delta variant spreads and cases rise across the country, the vast majority of cases, hospitalizations and deaths are among people who aren’t vaccinated.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/florida ... 19c50839b4

What’s DeSatan going to do when the Biden mandates kick in. Especially with all the federal installations and federal money going to private companies in Florida. Is DeSatan going to fine them.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

The way I see it is me thinks Desantis and the GOP think more old and poor democrats will die off then republicans. It's not about rights, it's who you can kill off faster.

And also more casualties means the blame game will point towards Biden. AZ Governor Doug Douches just said the other day Biden is responsible for many deaths and his handling of covid is a disaster.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Mike Huckabee Blames COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy On Biden ‘Boring Us To Death’ With Science

Mike Huckabee spun COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy into an attack on President Joe Biden on Monday.

Biden is “boring us to death” with science, the Republican former Arkansas governor, now a contributor on Fox News, griped to prime-time personality Sean Hannity.

Biden announced new vaccine mandates last week amid the continued spread of the highly transmissible delta variant. Vaccine hesitancy is overwhelmingly higher in GOP-voting states.

“Here’s the thing,” said Huckabee, who aligned himself with former President Donald Trump.

“When my mother wanted me to eat spinach, she didn’t try to tell me about the virtues of vitamin E. She told me Popeye ate spinach and I’d be strong like he was,” he said.

“Joe Biden needs to tell us the benefits rather than scaring the daylights out of us or boring us to death with a bunch of stuff where he says ‘follow the science,’” Huckabee added.

So, it’s not to do with anti-vaccine shots from Republican politicians and Fox News hosts?

Huckabee’s comments were shared online by the progressive media watchdog group Media Matters for America, and drew instant blowback on Twitter.

Mikey’s bored because he doesn’t understand the science, and it takes too much effort to learn.

— Donna L Dale (@awoaca) September 14, 2021
Nothing is stopping that guy from promoting the vaccines from his platform instead of using his platform to rant about Biden.

— Jake Antifascist Self Identified Quokka (@JohnsmcmV1) September 14, 2021
“Abuse veterinary drugs” does seem like a more exciting message

— Sam Morey (@moreywrites) September 14, 2021
Far be it for ANY Republican to be responsible for their complicity in all the lies that have led to this.

— Get vaccinated! ✍🏼DonnaB 🇺🇸 (@chttrbx99) September 14, 2021
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-huc ... 8d095fc552

Just show where his daughter inherited the genes for stupidity. Put both their IQ scores together and they would qualify for a burned out 50 watt light bulb or a dead tree.

lurker wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:06 pm more projection from mike.
His screed or projection is akin to the old days of film reel hanging up and we got to watch film burn on screen before projectionist could correct the problem.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Just so you all don't think I only criticize Biden, I absolutely support the expanded mandates. I don't like the idea of mandates. At all. But apparently, a sizable chunk of the population needs to be compelled to look out for the freedom of all of us to get out from under the mass of virus and to continue on with life on this spinning rock. Well done, Biden. He's making a tough leadership decision for the good of the whole, quite possibly at the expense of the party.

featureless wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:27 pm Just so you all don't think I only criticize Biden, I absolutely support the expanded mandates. I don't like the idea of mandates. At all. But apparently, a sizable chunk of the population needs to be compelled to look out for the freedom of all of us to get out from under the mass of virus and to continue on with life on this spinning rock. Well done, Biden. He's making a tough leadership decision for the good of the whole, quite possibly at the expense of the party.
I'm not happy with a lot Biden has done. However, it's better than turd in all regards, good, bad or worse. It's nice to have a bit of trust in a president that appears to be rational and sane. Whether I agree with his destination or not, at least it's not to the detriment of the nation as a whole. And that's what's at stake - a nation.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

What was so striking in my conversations with anti-vaxxers is this: they don’t care. They either have no concept of or some level of contempt for the notion of the “common welfare” of the society to which they belong. They feel no sense of obligation to the society that employs them, feeds them, and yes – in times of great need – provides them medical care. In this regard, the anti-vaxxers exhibit a seemingly unconscious flavor of sociopathy. The needs of the society – of the other human beings they share the planet with -- do not factor into their decision matrix.
http://www.borntorunthenumbers.com/2021 ... fe-in.html

I really don't know how I lived with these people before I knew they were there. Mystery how I'm going to do it now that I know.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

lurker wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:06 am people live along a sliding scale of altruism/selfishness. on one end, saints. on the other, sociopaths. each is adaptive, hence a survival trait in its proper time and place. sometimes it's best to run like hell and slam the door behind you, and other times it's best to hold the door so others can get out too. it's always been like this, and misanthropes have always known it: in general, people are meh. in specific, some few are wonderful marvellous caring giving... and others, not so much. donald is the poster child for not so much, but there are plenty more out there, more or less like him. at least they're not ALL serial killers.

hang on to your optimism when and while you can, candide. marvel at the endless variety, and the sameness, and guard yourself. accept that others will disappoint.
Another bingo!

No doubt the Biden WH looked across the pond when it developed it's new vaccination strategy.
In July, with France's vaccination rate stagnating and coronavirus cases surging, French President Emmanuel Macron imposed sweeping vaccination requirements for much of daily life.

As of August 1, anyone without a "health pass" showing proof of their vaccination status or a recent negative test, would not be able to enter bars and cafes, or travel long distances by train, Macron said. Health care staff workers -- a group of roughly 2.7 million people in France -- who are not vaccinated by Wednesday, face being fired or suspended without pay.

Macron's move was a calculated risk in a country where a deep cultural belief in individual liberties and a distrust of government has manifested in vaccine hesitancy. Despite its history as the cradle of vaccine science -- France is home to pharmaceutical giants Sanofi and the Pasteur Institute, named for Louis Pasteur, one of the founders of modern vaccination -- French people have long been reluctant to embrace them. A Wellcome Global Monitor survey published in 2019 found that one in three French people disagreed that vaccines were safe -- more than any other country out of 144 surveyed.

During the country's second coronavirus lockdown in December 2020, two separate polls carried out by Paris-headquartered Ipsos and the French Institute of Public Opinion found that around 60% of French people surveyed said that if a vaccine for Covid-19 was available they would not take it.

"Clearly, Emmanuel Macron took a risk," said Bruno Cautres, a political analyst at the Center for Political Research at Sciences Po in Paris. "He took a risk to say I will make the life of the non-vaccinated very difficult, which is a very, very, very dangerous statement for an executive."
Despite some early opposition, Macron's risk looks to be reaping significant rewards.

Immediately following Macron's speech on July 12, there was a spike in vaccination appointments in France. Doctolib, the main platform for booking jabs in the country, saw 1 million appointments made in 24 hours. Thanks in part to its swelling vaccination rate -- along with a massive increase in testing linked to the Covid pass, and the reintroduction of mask mandates in regions badly hit by the Delta variant -- mainland France managed to largely sidestep the fourth wave that swept through Europe and the US.
Today, France's Covid-19 vaccination rate is among the highest in the world, with 73% of people having received at least one shot, according to Our World in Data.

In the US, vaccination rates have stalled. Only 62% of the US population has had at least one dose, according to Our World in Data, and the majority of those who are not vaccinated are not at all likely to get a shot, according to Axios-Ipsos polling.

Now the US is looking to replicate some of France's success.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/europe/f ... index.html

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:43 am I'm certain all this anti-vaxx crap wouldn't have been one tenth as bad if it were not for the way the orange turd handled it at first claiming it was nothing and then anit mask and ultimately anti-vaxx.
But he was elected by the de-evolved but spreading remnants of the Koch Tea Party, the Lost Cause descendants of the KKK and the Christian Evangelical Rightwing. He just said what they wanted to hear and promised what they wanted as good as any con-artist. Just like the Bunny he keeps on going and going to energize his followers.