Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

lurker wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:52 am it's too late. we're all f*cked. from the heart of hell, i stab at thee, orange slug.
Yeah, well... I don't think Covid will be what ends us all (that honor will go to climate change), but it's very likely it will be with us for a long time. I knew the day that orange fuck was elected we'd just stepped back in time and wasted the last most important 4 years to address climate change (it's too fucking late now, may have been so 4 years ago). Covid was a blindside to me, even though I knew somewhere in the back of my amygdala that a pandemic is always only a matter of time. My lizard brain now tells me it is time to find a rock under which to hide from the coming climate catastrophe. :)

sikacz wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:04 am We’re masked when we go to stores. Never really stopped.
Same here. No one is going to shame me out of it, either. Went shopping yesterday at Wally & HEB grocer and masking seemed to be trending, again. Most all except the trumpites were masked - easy to pick out the enemy these days.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Climate change hit the point of no return 20 years ago. Wasn't our call. China and India decided to go all in on coal. OTOH, the end of each ice age involved more warming than what we're looking at in the next century. Just - not this fast. If we slow it down, we'll be better off. Not saying okay, just better.

I thought last year that a vaccine against a coronavirus was a foolish hope, that the best we could hope for was better treatment options. That once we could get the mortality rate down to flu levels, we'd just come around to having it around as part of a new normal. Well, guess what? That's where we are. Vaccines are the effective treatment option. Preemptive like. With delta, we're not immune and we continue to spread it. That's the worst news I've read all year, and I remember January 6.

But. With the vaccine, the mortality rate is much closer to cold and flu levels. We need to focus on making the vaccine accessible to everyone - kids are the group I worry about most, because variant phi or rho might hit them like the Spanish flu - and honestly once everyone who wants it can have it, I'm done.

Just got call from brother in Waco - he has CV-19. His wife just got out of hospital with unrelated problems, but not yet tested for Covid, but bro suspects she's got it, too. Brother is 83, wife is 85. Both had Pfizer in late Feb. 2021. He was tested in clinic yesterday as was feeling bad and got the positive results this morning. Not in hospital, but says he feels like crap and was hoarse, coughing and sniffling. They, like me, have continued masking when out and about.

My bile and hatred toward anti vax and wingers has just taken a quantum leap. Stupid MF'ers all !!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

That graph is troubling lurker. Some people are converting and getting vaccinated, saw an article quoting a MO physician who said people were coming in in disguise or from other counties to get vaccinated, they didn't want the peer pressure locally where they were known.
“My friend works at the hospital, and she told me there’s 18-year-olds on ventilators. That scared me,” said Tyler Sprenkle, a recent high school graduate in Goodman, Mo., who got a shot this month.

In nearby Bella Vista, Ark., 25-year-old Chelsah Skaggs said she had been avoiding the shots, citing false reports that they might cause infertility.

But as the delta variant hit her area, she did her own research and became convinced she should get vaccinated. “Skepticism is a good thing,” she said. “But to be ignorant is a different issue. My only regret is not doing it sooner.”
More than 4.7 million newly vaccinated Americans have made similar calculations in the past two weeks, as misgivings about the shots based on ideology, apathy or fear have taken a back seat to the desire to protect themselves and their loved ones.

More than 856,000 doses were administered Friday, the highest daily figure since July 3, according to The Washington Post’s vaccine tracker. This was the third week that states with the highest numbers of coronavirus cases also had the highest vaccination numbers, deputy White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said at a briefing Friday.

Vaccine-hesitant pockets of the country turned hot spots, including Louisiana, experienced a 114 percent increase in uptake, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Arkansas recorded a 96 percent increase, Alabama, 65 percent, and Missouri, 49 percent.

Texas last week reported its highest single-day vaccine administration in a month; the numbers, while still far from the peak earlier this year, are more than 25 percent higher than a month ago.

“There’s a rush to get shots that correlates with delta’s rise and hospitalizations,” said Tesha Montgomery, who runs vaccine clinics for Houston Methodist Hospital. During the week of July 12, the system was giving first shots to about 400 people a day, she said. The week of July 19, that number jumped to 600 a day, and by this Monday, it was up to 1,000 a day.
In Arkansas, where the governor on Thursday reimposed a state of emergency and reported that all pediatric ICU beds were full, the number of vaccine doses being administered over the past month has gone from 27,000 a week on average, to 70,000 on average now.

“We have had to bring in more vaccine. For the first time in two and a half months, we are making a new large-scale order, said Col. Robert Ator, who heads the state’s vaccine effort. “People are scared.”
Nationwide, 67 percent of the eligible U.S. population ages 12 and over has had at least one shot, with 57.7 percent fully vaccinated, as of this week. But in some parts of the country as few as 20 to 30 percent of people have been immunized.
The boost in interest may also be driven in part by new incentive programs and campaigns by prominent conservative leaders. Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey (R) wrote in an opinion piece this week that those “pushing fake news and conspiracy theories about this vaccine are reckless and causing great harm.” In Arkansas, Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) has traveled the state to combat the idea that the shots are a “bioweapon.”
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R) is preparing ads to run on more than 100 radio stations in his home state of Kentucky.

“These shots need to get in everybody’s arms as rapidly as possible, or we’re going to be back in a situation in the fall that we don’t yearn for — that we went through last year,” McConnell has said. “This is not complicated.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ta-surges/

It's so much easier now, people have a choice of vaccines not like when many of us were vaccinated months ago and they don't have to drive for miles to get them.

I looked through my county's vaccination data yesterday and it was depressing. The percent fully vaccinated in my county is 48%, but that's the average. In wealthy areas towards LA County it's up to 65% and in rural areas bordering Arizona it's 18% in one area and 6% in another. My town is 38.5%. The vaccines are available at two county DPH sites in my area of the county and all the pharmacies are stocked.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 am what will it take for them to admit they were lied to?

i posted the exact same pic and text as in post 2905 above to FB and FB is taking their time thinking about whether or not to put it on my timeline. probably because i said people will die. they're funny like that. i really need to learn to skirt their rules better.

Cognitive dissonance and all that. It's not one single conspiracy orchestrated by Trump, there are many disinformation sources out there peddling antivaxxer information. People will come up with a lot of rationalizations for their bad decisions and why they changed.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'm betting every internet user has some form of anti-virus on their machines for safety and caution to prevent it from getting hammered, yet refuse to do so for themselves and their loved ones and humanity itself. Selfish bunch of aholes, no??

Matt Gaetz mocks Delta variant and calls Fauci 'sniveling little twit' amid record Florida outbreak

Rep. Matt Gaetz kicked off his "Florida Man Freedom Tour" today in an apparent quest to see how low a human being can descend.

Turns out it's pretty low.

Gaetz spoke Saturday in Brevard, FL at the same time it was announced that Florida was setting its new record for COVID-19 cases during the pandemic. The same guy who infamously wore a gas mask in Congress to ridicule the seriousness of the coronavirus in May 2020 was at it again.

Florida Today reported on the latest Gaetz drivel:

"As Gaetz discussed vaccines and mask mandates, he mocked the COVID-19 delta variant, which caused Brevard County to break a COVID record this past week. He said he had the "Florida variant," which gives him the skills of "hunting, fishing and hugging your family."

As if that wasn't enough of a knee-slapper for a room full of followers who photos showed to be largely wearing no masks, Gaetz added this insight about the nation's leading infectious disease authority:

"He then called Anthony Fauci a "sniveling little twit," and criticized him for "flip-flopping" on the CDC's recommendations for facemasks and social distancing, Florida Today reported.

Gaetz also rattled off the standard MAGA fare, making false claims about voter fraud and railing about "the government, "big tech", "big pharma" and other groups were failing the United States, warning the crowd that these groups did not put America first. He also criticized critical race theory and the handling of the COVID-19 pandemic by the CDC."

And of course, there was the obligatory end to Gaetz's monologue: "Donald Trump won the election! This is Donald Trump's Republican party," he said to cheers and applause," the media report noted.

In its reporting of the event, Florida Today offered this interesting perspective as well:

"The Florida Man Freedom Tour follows his America First tour that Gaetz launched on May 7 with U.S. Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) in The Villages, a large retirement community that has been a popular speaking location for conservative figures.

"Since then, three locations in California cancelled the duo's events as recently as July 17, citing concerns of safety and a lack of prior knowledge that Gaetz and Greene would be the speakers.

"A Hilton Melbourne Beach Oceanfront official said Saturday the hotel did not know Gaetz would be speaking as that the event was registered under the Logan Circle Group.
https://www.rawstory.com/matt-gaetz-2654322908/

Stupid is as Stupid does- Forrest Gump.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Brief summary of some doom scrolling (no links, laziness on a phone):

Florida is adding 100,000 cases per week and hospitals are getting close to capacity.

New Orleans 911 system is overlaoded and can't keep up with Covid calls for help.

China is locking down millions.

The Philippines is getting wrecked by Covid.

CDC reports vaccinated people who catch it shed similar virus loads as the unvaccinated, just manage to not need (usually) hospital care.

We'll likely be seeing a surge similar to last winter by early September.

Fun fucking times. Mask up, friends, and be safe.

But the sunset does not suck.
20210731_203356_copy_3024x2268.jpg

featureless wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:33 pm Brief summary of some doom scrolling (no links, laziness on a phone):

Florida is adding 100,000 cases per week and hospitals are getting close to capacity.

New Orleans 911 system is overlaoded and can't keep up with Covid calls for help.

China is locking down millions.

The Philippines is getting wrecked by Covid.

CDC reports vaccinated people who catch it shed similar virus loads as the unvaccinated, just manage to not need (usually) hospital care.

We'll likely be seeing a surge similar to last winter by early September.

Fun fucking times. Mask up, friends, and be safe.

Saw some similar articles. Stupid DeSantis issued an executive order stating schools couldn't mandate masks for students without parents permission.

Saw that the Orleans Parish EMS system was overloaded and now 911, wow. People will be dying in their homes because they can't get to hospitals, that will be a scandal.

Yes the surge in China is the worst since Wuhan, they're locking down cities.

Didn't know it was that bad in the Philippines.

There were so many quarantine violators in Sydney, Australia that the federal government is sending in the Australian Army to back up the state and local police to enforce the quarantine.

The roller coaster ride isn't over yet, please stay safe folks.

Michigan GOP candidate predicts 'end times' after claim vaccines include 'aborted baby tissue'

Michigan Republican Mellisa Carone was ridiculed by "Saturday Night Live" in February for being gullible enough to believe Donald Trump's debunked conspiracy theories about election fraud.

Now Carone, who has formed a committee to run for the Michigan legislature, is pushing a conspiracy theory that vaccines are a sign of biblical apocalypse.

"This is an experimental vaccine that has aborted baby tissue in it," Carone falsely claimed.

"This right here, this is solid evidence we are definitely in the end times," she said. "It is the end of times, it's in the Bible. This, this has something to do with, I believe, the mark of the beast. I do."
https://www.rawstory.com/mellisa-carone ... 0#cxrecs_s

The average IQ of the total Michigan GOP has dropped at least 50 points with her statements. She is making Louie Gohmert look like a genius.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

What is really bad is we are about to start the Cold/Flu season in two months depending where you live. Trying to get people vaccinated for that along with the covid is going to take a lot of teaching. Covid Vaccines don't protect yo from the seasonal Flu virus.

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:17 pm What is really bad is we are about to start the Cold/Flu season in two months depending where you live. Trying to get people vaccinated for that along with the covid is going to take a lot of teaching. Covid Vaccines don't protect yo from the seasonal Flu virus.

I got my flu shot towards the end of August in 2020, about a month to a month and a half earlier than normal. The COVID masking and physical distancing really helped reduce flu infections last year. Yes a COVID vaccine doesn't protect against flu and a flu vaccine doesn't protect against COVID. Moderna was working on a mRNA flu vaccine but don't know if it's gotten FDA EUA or approval.

The 2021-2022 Influenza vaccine are "quadrivalent" or provide protection against 4 viruses than an FDA committee considered will be the most wide spread in 2021-2022 flu season.
The committee recommended that the quadrivalent formulation of cell- or recombinant based influenza vaccines for the U.S. 2021-2022 influenza season contain the following:

an A/Wisconsin/588/2019 (H1N1) pdm09-like virus;
an A/Cambodia/e0826360/2020 (H3N2)-like virus;
a B/Washington/02/2019- like virus (B/Victoria lineage);
a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata lineage).
https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biol ... 022-season

The Delta Variant is breaking through even vaccinated folks. A lot of people in Mass have caught it, and the husband of a colleague of my wife, in Denver, has Covid despite being fully vaccinated. The only good news is SO FAR the cases have been mild.

But now a new variant is showing up with a modified spike protein....fucking damn!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

More than 1M vaccine doses thrown away in 10 states since December

Iowa might have to throw out tens of thousands of doses of the vaccine over the next six weeks. Last week, El Paso threw out nearly 4,000. And in Arkansas, more than 80,000 doses expired this week.

"Prior to the vaccine, I was heartsick because people died and we couldn't help them. Now, they don't get the vaccine and we can't help them," Tammy Kellebrew, a pharmacist who travels to rural hospitals across the state, told Houston Public Media. "And so after every death, I go back to the pharmacy and I cry, and then I go back to work."

A survey reported by the New York Times says that over a million doses have been thrown away in 10 states since vaccines were first administered. Much of the loss comes from lagging demand in recent months.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 449325001/

Rather than throwing it out, what about offering boosters to the vulnerable or very elderly.