Re: Owning the Libs, Covid style

wings wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:19 pm Forget mandates. I'm waiting for insurance to drop everyone who won't submit proof of vaccination. That's the capitalist way.
Nope. Ironically, I expect the ACA to protect those idiots and losers from that--and endanger the rest of us.

Delta, or something even worse, was EASILY predictable. By my seat of the pants estimate, based solely on #s I pulled out of my butt, I figure in 18 months the virus mutated 2000 times faster than humans have since we separated from other apes 6 million years ago.

The 3 numbers I pulled out of my butt:
1) Every infected cell produces 200,000 copies of the virus (Could be more--scientists say "hundreds of thousands")
2) 1/100 of 1% of the roughly 37,5 trillion cells in the average adult--pure guestimate of the percentage of infection
3) That 200 billion individuals have been born in the 6 million years since we and what became the chimpanzees, our closest relative, diverged. My ONLY basis is I remember seeing that it was assumed that 60 billion people had lived since we became, I guess Homo Sapiens.

Using these, plus the total of people infected, there are many, many orders of magnitude more of the virus than humans.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

wings wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:51 pm Hard to say. I've seen order-of-magnitude variance between estimates for human population 10,000 years ago. Still, the question becomes "how many orders of magnitude faster?" - viruses evolve fast!
"Many"....that's how many orders of magnitude.

Mammals evolve slowly. Horses and donkeys have been separating for millennia. That's why mules and hennys were known to the ancient Greeks--Homer talks about mules in the Iliad. And Mules are the PERFECT proof of what the religious fanatics deny exists: "Macro evolution". They are right for the wrong reasons. They define "Macro" and "Micro" evolution to explain how bugs become DDT resistant and the Covid virus. But there is no such differential called "Macro" and "Micro" evolution. There's only evolution. Horses and donkeys don't have the same # of chromosomes, yet they can produce a viable, yet sterile offspring--Mules and Hennys.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

If adults want to play Russian roulette and believe the Bloviator over science or any other conspiracy, that's their decision. I believe government should compel vaccination of those under 18, the state has a compelling reason to intervene over a child's health and welfare. In some states COVID will become part of standard school immunizations but not all states. So schools will have outbreaks that will cause school closures and kids will get even farther behind.
Last edited by highdesert on Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Lucy&CovidAssholes.JPG
Lucy&CovidAssholes.JPG (20.45 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Love it!

It's actually true. The more assholes get infected, the greater the odds of an even worse mutation than Delta, which is already breaking through the vaccinated.

My GE doctor's wife is a cancer survivor (also an MD. Super-nice lady, they are both good people.) He was telling me she has a compromised immune system and despite being fully vaccinated, her anti-body level is low. So she would be an ideal host for a break-thru by the Delta variant.

It's a numbers game. The more the virus reproduces, the more the odds of mutations. But since most of the vaccinated are resistant to the Delta Variant, the more who get vaccinated, the fewer chances of further mutations.

So the REAL problem why we are facing, yet again, another wave is, ultimately, due to assholes.

I remember hearing gastroenterologists last year say that even though the PCR nasal swab are the "gold standard", the real gold standard is a rectal swab that will find COVID that nasal swabs miss. Reason why some places run tests on sewage from different parts of cities to find COVID infection surges, even heard of a university testing the sewage from different dorms.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:19 pm I remember hearing gastroenterologists last year say that even though the PCR nasal swab are the "gold standard", the real gold standard is a rectal swab that will find COVID that nasal swabs miss. Reason why some places run tests on sewage from different parts of cities to find COVID infection surges, even heard of a university testing the sewage from different dorms.
Imagine sticking your naked bottom out the car window at a CVS or Walgreens drive through: "I want the most accurate Covid test!"

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:47 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:19 pm I remember hearing gastroenterologists last year say that even though the PCR nasal swab are the "gold standard", the real gold standard is a rectal swab that will find COVID that nasal swabs miss. Reason why some places run tests on sewage from different parts of cities to find COVID infection surges, even heard of a university testing the sewage from different dorms.
Imagine sticking your naked bottom out the car window at a CVS or Walgreens drive through: "I want the most accurate Covid test!"
I had such a crap experience with the nasal swab, I might prefer any other orifice next time. Last summer I had some symptoms, so I got the swab. Nurse I work with did the test. Tickled my brain with it, hit an artery in my nose. I bled all day until I went down the ER and had a colleague put a rhino rocket in my nose. Left the rocket in all night and had to mouth breath till morning. Misery.

cooper wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:41 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:47 pm
I had such a crap experience with the nasal swab, I might prefer any other orifice next time. Last summer I had some symptoms, so I got the swab. Nurse I work with did the test. Tickled my brain with it, hit an artery in my nose. I bled all day until I went down the ER and had a colleague put a rhino rocket in my nose. Left the rocket in all night and had to mouth breath till morning. Misery.
That was a miserable experience just for a PCR test. Yes, a self administered rectal test seems simpler and if the gastros are to be believed, more accurate.

Unfortunately, the Delta Variant is breaking through even fully vaccinated people more and more. A number of fully vaccinated people in Mass have caught it, and the husband of one my wife's colleagues has also caught it as well.

The only good news is the symptoms have been mild.

Public safety and welfare should be enough to mandate vaccinations for everyone. This is not a subject where choice is acceptable or laymen should be able to influence people with their uninformed opinions. biden and crew need to get on the ball and do the thing that needs to be done. It’s hard not easy.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:39 am Public safety and welfare should be enough to mandate vaccinations for everyone. This is not a subject where choice is acceptable or laymen should be able to influence people with their uninformed opinions. biden and crew need to get on the ball and do the thing that needs to be done. It’s hard not easy.
I agree. Most states still have laws that if you are contagious with an infectious disease and don't agree to treatment, the state has a duty to hold you and administer treatment. I saw this used here in Texas with a street person that had TB and refused treatment. He was arrested and sentenced to the State TB hospital in Tyler TX.

These laws came about after the case of Typhoid Mary.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,