Nancy uses linoleum knife on R's little sacks

“The violent domestic attack on Congress on January 6th was the worst assault on the Capitol since the War of 1812 and the worst domestic assault on American Democracy since the Civil War. We are facing a radically new threat in the kinds of forces that combined to attack our government on January 6th. The future of our democracy is on the line. This assault was an attempt to overthrow the government.

“We need a comprehensive investigation as to who organized this attack, who paid for it, how they nearly succeeded in overthrowing a presidential election, why they did it and how we must organize ourselves to prevent anything like it from ever happening again.

“It had been our hope to establish a bipartisan, independent National Commission, but there is no prospect for that Commission at this time because of insufficient support from Republican Senators. Therefore, the House established the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol. The Select Committee on the January 6th Insurrection will investigate and report upon the facts and causes of the terrorist mob attack on the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021. It will also be charged with reporting its findings, conclusions and recommendations for preventing future attacks.

“Monday evening, the Minority Leader recommended 5 Members to serve on the Select Committee. I have spoken with him this morning about the objections raised about Representatives Jim Banks and Jim Jordan and the impact their appointments may have on the integrity of the investigation. I also informed him that I was prepared to appoint Representatives Rodney Davis, Kelly Armstrong and Troy Nehls, and requested that he recommend two other Members.

“With respect for the integrity of the investigation, with an insistence on the truth and with concern about statements made and actions taken by these Members, I must reject the recommendations of Representatives Banks and Jordan to the Select Committee.

“The unprecedented nature of January 6th demands this unprecedented decision.”
https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/72121-2

Beware a Speaker bearing a linoleum knife. Which made Kev withdraw all his noms.

Wimp.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Nancy uses linoleum knife on R's little sacks

Another Republican victory. Gum up the gears in the Senate. Introduce 2 poison pills in the House. Refuse to participate and say it's a witch hunt. Repeat this a bazillion times on Fox, internet, etc.

The Dems don't have their hearts in this. I do love Speaker Pelosi's statement. But it will fall on deaf ears case it takes more than 15 seconds.

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but I've been watching this movie for over 4 years and I know how each scene ends.

Hope I'm wrong this time.

lurker wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:15 pm
cooper wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:27 pm Hope I'm wrong this time.
well, yes and no. it may well be little more than a gesture which accomplishes nothing. but it's a gesture that needs to be made.
Agreed. It certainly needs to be made. If only to document where people of our time stood as future generations look back on either:

a) The failure of this North American government experiment that lasted from the end of the 18th Century until sometime in the early 21st Century.

or

b) One of the low points of this successful modern democracy that survived, thrived, and went on to live up to it's creed.

Of course, more'n likely we'll just limp along as a shell of what we told ourselves we were. With our deplorable parts more out in the open than before.

highdesert wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:27 am Now Republicans are saying that they'll appoint their own panel to investigate, I doubt a bi-partisan panel was ever going to work. More political theatre ahead.
Democrats will kid themselves that discussing objective facts matters. Republicans will suck all the oxygen out of the room with lies.

And yes, I do believe Speaker Pelosi needs to do what she's doing. It would be negligent of her not to. Record for posterity and all that. But Democrats haven't shown me that they truly know how to counter the Tr*mpist BS.

highdesert wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:27 am Now Republicans are saying that they'll appoint their own panel to investigate, I doubt a bi-partisan panel was ever going to work. More political theatre ahead.
Now taking bets on who THEY "find" is responsible:
a) BLM
b) NY Times and Washington Post
c) Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer
d) China and the DNC
e) LGBTQ orgs
f) Antifa
g) (add your own)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:59 am
a) BLM
d) China and the DNC
e) LGBTQ orgs
f) Antifa
g) (add your own)
Good list of their "usual suspects". The only one I can think to add is Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:01 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:59 am
a) BLM
d) China and the DNC
e) LGBTQ orgs
f) Antifa
g) (add your own)
Good list of their "usual suspects". The only one I can think to add is Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela.
You forgot the mistressmind of the whole she-bang. HILLARY!!!
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

So McTurd pulled his five pick pricks - BFD! Move this committee forward and don't look back - gop trash or not. Frankly surprised he didn't try to place orange turd on the committee. Clown car has turned into a 100 rail boxcar dumpster fire. FDT FKM
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

cooper wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:42 am
Democrats will kid themselves that discussing objective facts matters. Republicans will suck all the oxygen out of the room with lies.

And yes, I do believe Speaker Pelosi needs to do what she's doing. It would be negligent of her not to. Record for posterity and all that. But Democrats haven't shown me that they truly know how to counter the Tr*mpist BS.

Public hearings are a big show, House members of both parties play to the cameras and their constituents who are watching. It calls for a very strong chair to keep things moving and not bog down into partisanship. Same in the Senate, Rand Paul plays to the home audience and wingers when he constantly attacks Fauci. Duke U should pull Rand Paul's MD degree, he's an embarrassment.

Republicans are much better at messaging then Democrats. Probably why the White House brought in former Republican pollster Dr Frank Luntz, to help them with COVID vaccination messaging.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'm not sure that two different investigations will be bad. If the Dems provide facts that can be measured and documented and the Repubs use emotion and propaganda, most people will be able to go all logical on the facts aspect. While there still will be sea slugs who swallow the Big Lie, their numbers will be insufficient to get enough of their kinds into offices.

Popcorn.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am I'm not sure that two different investigations will be bad. If the Dems provide facts that can be measured and documented and the Repubs use emotion and propaganda, most people will be able to go all logical on the facts aspect. While there still will be sea slugs who swallow the Big Lie, their numbers will be insufficient to get enough of their kinds into offices.

Popcorn.

CDFingers
And since the Slugs that believe this, also swallow the falsehoods and outright lies about the COVID virus and don't get the vaccine, will get the virus and that will thin herd of slugs out as quickly pouring salt on them.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

highdesert wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:11 am ... Republicans are much better at messaging then Democrats. ...
Agreed. "Lock her up!" was perfect messaging. I don't even know what she was to be locked up for. But that crap works.

The T-shirts, hats, bumper stickers and flags that I'm seeing lately are just a simple and effective:
- "Tr*mp. Finally someone with balls."
- "Tr*mp. No more bullshit."
- "Tr*mp. Fuck your feelings."

That crap is effective. It doesn't argue for a platform, facts, or complex ideas. The "platform" is just understood and you can high five each other.

CDFingers wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am I'm not sure that two different investigations will be bad. If the Dems provide facts that can be measured and documented and the Repubs use emotion and propaganda, most people will be able to go all logical on the facts aspect. While there still will be sea slugs who swallow the Big Lie, their numbers will be insufficient to get enough of their kinds into offices.

Popcorn.

CDFingers
I'll stock up on popcorn, but I think I've seen this movie already and it has a predictable ending.

I'm desperately hoping you're right, CD. I really am. I love movies with surprise endings.

cooper wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:58 am
highdesert wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:11 am ... Republicans are much better at messaging then Democrats. ...
Agreed. "Lock her up!" was perfect messaging. I don't even know what she was to be locked up for. But that crap works.

The T-shirts, hats, bumper stickers and flags that I'm seeing lately are just a simple and effective:
- "Tr*mp. Finally someone with balls."
- "Tr*mp. No more bullshit."
- "Tr*mp. Fuck your feelings."

That crap is effective. It doesn't argue for a platform, facts, or complex ideas. The "platform" is just understood and you can high five each other.
What? Build back better didn't work for you?

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:53 am

Popcorn.

CDFingers
And since the Slugs that believe this, also swallow the falsehoods and outright lies about the COVID virus and don't get the vaccine, will get the virus and that will thin herd of slugs out as quickly pouring salt on them.
I understand that fantasy, TT. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Unfortunately, I see it differently. We're all in the same boat. And while most people are pulling hard on the oars and trying to get us to safe harbor, there's a handful of deplorables drilling holes in the boat because they are "free." And the rowers are politely saying, "I don't think their freedom includes drilling holes in the bottom of our boat, but what can we do about it?" See how that ends?

See, I attend at a hospital in a county with a 33% vaccination rate. About 50% of hospital employees have refused the vaccine. In the analogy above docs and nurses are walking around patching up holes, and they have to politely ask the hole drillers to give a them little space to patch things up while they drill more holes. And they'll say this boat ain't sinking because of these holes. It's sinking because all those rowers are pizza shop basement pedophiles. And the rowers say, well we do have to consider all points of view valid here, let's stop and discuss it for awhile. Wait, why do we have wet feet?

LOL. That ridiculous analogy that I overplayed above is only a fraction of how insane America really is right now. I crack myself up.

But seriously. Over 56,000 new cases in the USA yesterday. Last year sucked, and I don't want to see it again--not because of stupid, anyway.

featureless wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:35 pm Brace yourself, Cooper. (Covid) Winter is coming. Again, unfortunately.
The North remembers! LOL.

Hey, I know my posts are some pessimistic shit. I'm more optimistic in real life, where most people just think of me as a goofball and I've embraced that. I just like to call things out. These are serious times, and fantasies like "the bad guys will Darwin themselves away" or "let's have another committee because people are ready to listen to facts this time" feel like distractions to me.

So I shout into the wind which is the internet, then hit the streets with a smile and a joke (and my sleeves rolled up cause there's shit to get done).

My town has somewhere between 30% and 40% vaccinated, the county is higher It's not like there are long lines, testing and vaccinations are available daily and there is no charge. It's not like it was in January and February when I got mine.

Yes the unknown factors are the Fall and Winter with the Delta plus variant and perhaps others could be raging.

Probably what cooper has encountered at his hospitals.
An Alabama physician glumly says she is making "a lot of progress" in encouraging people to vaccinate – as she struggles to keep them alive.

Dr. Brytney Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, wrote in a recent Facebook post she is treating a lot of young, otherwise healthy people for serious coronavirus infections.

"One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine," she wrote. "I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late."

In her post, Cobia wrote that when a patient dies, she hugs their family members and urges them to get vaccinated. She said they cry and tell her they thought the pandemic was a "hoax," or "political," or targeting some other age group or skin color.

"They wish they could go back. But they can't," Cobia wrote. "So they thank me and they go get the vaccine. And I go back to my office, write their death note, and say a small prayer that this loss will save more lives."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 035920002/