Steve Bannon is right...oh that hurts to say...

His statement is hyperbolic, but he's not too far off. We have to face the reality that the US is a very racist nation, and pushing something like CRT is going to hurt the Democrats bad. If we lose the house, we're properly fucked.
"I look at this and say, 'Hey, this is how we are going to win.' I see 50 [House Republican] seats in 2022. Keep this up," Bannon told the publication.
https://news.yahoo.com/trump-allies-inc ... 19998.html
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: Steve Bannon is right...oh that hurts to say...

They have sent bots out to smear the idea of Critical Race Theory in this effort to win 50 House seats, among other things. This has to be fought with facts. Here's the LTTE I sent. I live in a very red area of California, and Cueto pitches for the SF Giants.
How do we know Johnny Cueto is good? Same with all pitchers. We use metrics: Pitches, velocities, accuracy, balls and strikes, hits, walks, and earned and unearned runs. Metrics is measurements.

Many Republicans here have set their hair afire and run about aimlessly, howling that Critical Race Theory (CRT) is some evil plot. I did not know about CRT, so I bought a collection of academic papers called “Critical Race Theory, the Key Writings that formed the Movement” (Crenshaw, ed.) to see what the fuss was about. Critical analysis in academia means to dissect and discover the components, influences, and mechanisms of an idea or system. It does not mean to criticize or divide. Critical analysis is a tool for understanding.

When we examine ideas and their effects, the measurements we take form an “analytic framework.” CRT is an analytic framework, a mechanism for analyzing the effects of race in the systems of society: politics, culture, economics, and religion. When we examine these systems about race, we see some effects. What bothers Republicans is that we can see some effects there. And we have the measurements.

Measurements are facts we all agree on. These measurements show that Republicans strike out in progressing toward a more perfect union.

CRT helps people understand the facts, making CRT a pitch Republicans can’t hit. Shocker, I know. Now you know, too. You’ll know more if you research it more. Reading just 250 words about CRT is like smelling ballpark mustard from the ticket line.
Everyone has to do their part. (Dang, I hate the new gender thing where you have to use a plural pronoun to refer to a singular person.) Write LTTE's.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I don't talk politics with republicans anymore (only took like 40 years to figure that one out...I'm not too sharp). I talk politics here because people here are intelligent and reasonable. I know many intelligent republicans, but I no longer consider any of them really reasonable. Meaning, I have NEVER seen clear reason to rule the day when presented to them. They will recognize the reason, and still support their party because they just hate Democrats. Hard to counter hate.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Save your strength, we're not even in 2022 and there's even more hot and heavy politics ahead. Republicans smell blood and they remember the 2010 Midterm. Going into that election Democrats controlled the Senate and the House, the day after that election Republicans had picked up 6 Senate seats and 63 House seats.

Too early to predict 2022, but the party that controls the WH generally loses seats in both chambers. If you're the minority party in the House you have no power, only the bully pulpit in the House chamber and in committees. If you're the minority in the Senate your power is the filibuster and senatorial holds and IIRC that's it.

Republicans and Democrats will spin the issues, fact checking is important.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 pm Save your strength, we're not even in 2022 and there's even more hot and heavy politics ahead. Republicans smell blood and they remember the 2010 Midterm. Going into that election Democrats controlled the Senate and the House, the day after that election Republicans had picked up 6 Senate seats and 63 House seats.

Too early to predict 2022, but the party that controls the WH generally loses seats in both chambers. If you're the minority party in the House you have no power, only the bully pulpit in the House chamber and in committees. If you're the minority in the Senate your power is the filibuster and senatorial holds and IIRC that's it.

Republicans and Democrats will spin the issues, fact checking is important.
Democrats are choosing gun control as their third most important issue.

That's an election loser. Someone should tell them. I've tried and it falls on deaf ears.

So let's think this through regarding gun rights - I can not vote; vote 3rd party; vote for a Dem or allow turd to become president again over a fear I may lose some gun rights? Fortunately, I'm not ready to let this nation go tits up over gun issues - many that will never happen other than in infertile minds. You can bet your savings that should turd or his acolytes ever take over again, that gun rights loses will begin in earnest for people who post here and lean left or anyone that they deem an enemy. Just reading about the shit turd has done and said during his term regarding abuse of citizens voicing their constitutional right to protest should scare the hell out of any rational thinking gun owner. We ARE NOT going to have our guns taken by Dems nor or guns more important than survival of this nation from neo-nizis !
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:48 am So let's think this through regarding gun rights - I can not vote; vote 3rd party; vote for a Dem or allow turd to become president again over a fear I may lose some gun rights? Fortunately, I'm not ready to let this nation go tits up over gun issues - many that will never happen other than in infertile minds. You can bet your savings that should turd or his acolytes ever take over again, that gun rights loses will begin in earnest for people who post here and lean left or anyone that they deem an enemy. Just reading about the shit turd has done and said during his term regarding abuse of citizens voicing their constitutional right to protest should scare the hell out of any rational thinking gun owner. We ARE NOT going to have our guns taken by Dems nor or guns more important than survival of this nation from neo-nizis !
This is not about you nor is it about me. This is about the general public and elections. The Democrats have lost election after election due in great part to pushing gun control. Surely you recognize that.

Furthermore, It's not my fault that we have a binary choice in our elections. It's the fault of Democrats and Republicans (the two parties of monied interests), because power begets power. I'm not going to be blamed for that, nor should you attempt to blame anyone other than those two political parties.

lurker wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:48 am yes, quite the conundrum. sacrifice several constitutional rights, or the one that shores up the rest. because i don't think it's just window dressing. at present, my "solution" is to vote for what i think is the "lesser of the evils", because the guy with the most electoral votes wins. when we have a viable alternative, i'll consider it. do i feel trapped and used? yes, absolutely.
Well said.

Is Biden coming for your guns? He's trying his damndest.

Will TFG come for your guns? Yup. And the rest of your civil rights.

Pick your poison.

Wino wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:48 am So let's think this through regarding gun rights - I can not vote; vote 3rd party; vote for a Dem or allow turd to become president again over a fear I may lose some gun rights? Fortunately, I'm not ready to let this nation go tits up over gun issues - many that will never happen other than in infertile minds. You can bet your savings that should turd or his acolytes ever take over again, that gun rights loses will begin in earnest for people who post here and lean left or anyone that they deem an enemy. Just reading about the shit turd has done and said during his term regarding abuse of citizens voicing their constitutional right to protest should scare the hell out of any rational thinking gun owner. We ARE NOT going to have our guns taken by Dems nor or guns more important than survival of this nation from neo-nizis !

Voting is our right and the most effective way of keeping fascist elements out of government. We both live in states where one party controls the state trifecta, Republicans control Texas and Democrats control California. One party control leads to a single agenda getting bulldozed through, even worse in CA where Democrats have a supermajority in the legislature and Republicans are inconsequential. Third parties are meaningless in this country, they are protest votes.

Biden just negotiated an infrastructure bill with Republicans, I expect he'll be doing more of that over his last two years in office as he'll lose one or both chambers of Congress in 2022. Progressives are already disenchanted with Biden and may sabotage this bill because they haven't gotten their way. I expect the next Congress will be more partisan not less.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Critical Race Theory is a non starter for just SO MANY white people; including liberals. The most liberal guy I know is infuriated that our founding fathers are painted as white supremacist's. Him and I argued for an hour on the issue. Me personally, I'm okay with them being called white supremacists...on the subject of race.

His concern (and I share it too), is when you focus on the race side of the founding fathers; you miss one of the most amazing things to ever happen in human history. And on that front, he has a SERIOUSLY good point.

Our founding fathers changed the course of human history by being the first enlightened progressives to actually implement a truly representative form of government. This wasn't just a good thing for America, it was one of the most important turning points in all of human history.

Regardless of what you teach on race, or the racism of our founding fathers. You can't lose sight of that moment in history. It sucks that such flawed human being are the ones who did it. Or maybe that's the best part of it...even the guys with the fucked up views on race and women saw that it was time for humanity to try something else.

Anyhow, there are LEGIT arguments against FOCUSING history education on race; and even the left has issues with this. Race HAS to be a part of it, and perhaps at certain times it becomes THE focus. But where our founding fathers are concerned, it has to take a back seat to the way they changed humanity for the better...forever.

sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:34 pm I’m not okay with any of it. There is no such thing as races, we are essentially all the same. Skin color and family (national) traits are a negligent part of our shared DNA. I don’t even know what BS “critical race theory” is, but it’s BS.
We are all the same, but you can't ignore that the social construct of race has been used to oppress people in this country. It's been baked into our laws, culture, and political systems for hundreds of years.

We are a long way from having righted that wrong.

We also need to recognize that classism is real. Class and race are inextricably linked in the US. That doesn't mean that poor whites don't face oppression, but poor blacks face multiple forms of oppression. Fred Hampton was assassinated by the state because he recognized this and was organizing around it. That's in the last 50 years... We still have a long way to go.

I think its also important to recognize that racism is just tribalism of another kind. But unfortunately it exists EVERYWHERE on planet Earth. Show me a country, and I'll show you an oppressed minority. Racism is an unfortunate trait of humans...it's the default setting. That's why it's so hard to combat. We're trying to work our way toward eliminating what is anthropologically speaking, "natural" human behavior.

We may all be the same species, and race shouldn't be a thing...but it is, always has been. This is a very difficult thing to combat.

FrontSight wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:14 pm I think its also important to recognize that racism is just tribalism of another kind. But unfortunately it exists EVERYWHERE on planet Earth. Show me a country, and I'll show you an oppressed minority. Racism is an unfortunate trait of humans...it's the default setting. That's why it's so hard to combat. We're trying to work our way toward eliminating what is anthropologically speaking, "natural" human behavior.

We may all be the same species, and race shouldn't be a thing...but it is, always has been. This is a very difficult thing to combat.

Yes, Americans didn't invent racism, it's always existed because humans obsess on differences not similarities. And yes when race isn't a factor there are tribal battles, think the Rwandan genocide of Tutsi by Hutus. WWI and most of WWII were white Europeans fighting against each other aided by mainly white North Americans.

Heard a black surgeon comment that he's performed surgeries on people of all races and when he cuts them open they are the same inside.

What's going to happen if turd gets back in is he will go for his enemies and the left liberals with his neo-natzis and tell the national guard/LEO's to stand down.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

NegativeApproach wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:43 pm
sikacz wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:34 pm I’m not okay with any of it. There is no such thing as races, we are essentially all the same. Skin color and family (national) traits are a negligent part of our shared DNA. I don’t even know what BS “critical race theory” is, but it’s BS.
We are all the same, but you can't ignore that the social construct of race has been used to oppress people in this country. It's been baked into our laws, culture, and political systems for hundreds of years.

We are a long way from having righted that wrong.

We also need to recognize that classism is real. Class and race are inextricably linked in the US. That doesn't mean that poor whites don't face oppression, but poor blacks face multiple forms of oppression. Fred Hampton was assassinated by the state because he recognized this and was organizing around it. That's in the last 50 years... We still have a long way to go.
Agree. While we need to address the “tool” racism, we also need to educate people that it is a fabrication by those who seek power and control over others for their differences. Class has always been intertwined in the concept as well. There needs to be a new generation that recognizes that race doesn’t exist and recognizes that it was invented. A generation that doesn’t accept the constraints that invention puts on all of us and prevents unity and healing. It’s a bit like “truth and reconciliation”. Both need to occur to move to a better place.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

NegativeApproach wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:02 am
FrontSight wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:40 pm Democrats honestly think gun control is a winner item for them.
Then they deserve to lose for not paying attention to reality.

The only people they're listening to are wealthy donors, they'll paint us as being neo-Republicans since we support the 2A and just dismiss our opinions. I can dismiss voting for their candidates on all levels, but at SHTF times like 2020 I may have to vote for their candidate but that was an unusual year.