Blog - Queers with Guns? Against the LGBT Grain

For the past 18 months, I have been co-editing, with Trent Steidley of the University of Denver, a special issue of the scholarly journal, Sociological Perspectives. The theme is “A Sociology of Firearms for the 21st Century.” A major goal we had in soliciting and selecting articles for the special issue was to expand the narrow sociological literature by appreciating the multifaceted role guns play in society and culture beyond crime, deviance, and injury. This is the sort of project I called for in my original “Sociology of U.S. Gun Culture” article. The printed edition of the journal will be available later this year, but the articles are being posted online once they are finalized. One that I am particularly proud to have had an editorial hand in is “Queers with Guns? Against the LGBT Grain” by University of Texas graduate student Thatcher Combs.
In all the years I have taught the Sociology of Guns (since 2015), I have not been able to assign a peer-reviewed sociological study of LGBT gun owners. I typically assign Rolling Stone’s story on the Pink Pistols and tell the students that some day a sociologist will give their attention to this important topic. I am preparing my syllabus for this fall’s Version 7 of Sociology of Guns and am happy to have Thatcher Combs’s work to assign at last.
If you want to support my work, please buy me a drink This content originally appeared at text and was written by David Yamane This content is syndicated and does not necessarily reflect the views or positions of The Liberal Gun Club

Source: https://guncurious.wordpress.com/2021/0 ... gbt-grain/

Re: Blog - Queers with Guns? Against the LGBT Grain

I agree, a missing area of sociology of guns. Pink Pistols inspired by Jonathan Rauch's 2000 article is pro-firearms and was struggling until the Pulse Night Club massacre which revitalized it, I don't know its current status. Another vocal group is Gays Against Guns founded in 2016 which falls in line with Bloomberg funded anti-gun groups.
https://www.salon.com/2000/03/14/pistol/

The Williams Institute at UCLA Law does ongoing research on LGBT topics, don't know if they've ever looked at firearms. When Dr. Gary Gates ran the Institute they did a lot of in depth research. Metro area LGBT have vocal anti-gunners but they don't speak for LGBT in non-metro areas who could be gun owners.
Childrearing among same-sex couples is most common in Southern, Mountain West, and Midwest regions of the country. States with the highest proportions of same-sex couples raising biological, adopted or step children include Mississippi (26%), Wyoming (25%), Alaska (23%), Idaho (22%), and Montana (22%).
Same-sex couple parents and their children are more likely to be racial and ethnic minorities. An estimated 39% of individuals in same-sex couples who have children under age 18 in the home are people of color, compared to 36% of those in different-sex couples who are non-White.

Among children under 18 living with same-sex couples, half (50%) are non-White compared to 41% of children living with different-sex couples.
https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/ ... enting-us/

I look forward to reading the articles if we can get access.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan