TV Show: Cardinal

I started watching a TV show based in Canada. The show is Cardinal played by Billy Campbell. I’m watching on Hulu & I believe the show is off the air now. Show is based on a book series. What does this have to do with guns you ask? This series is an advocate, knowingly or not, for gun ownership. Whether it’s just to have in your home but even on your person. I keep saying “if only he/she had a gun” & it’s not a knee jerk reaction. I’m on the 3rd season & highly recommend it, not just for the reason I stated, but it’s a great show in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: TV Show: Cardinal

Saw all four seasons. Film noir type series, all four seasons are set during winter in northern Ontario. The author grew up in that wild and remote area. The Canadian federal government keeps tightening up on firearms laws, so don't know if people have the same access to firearms now as when the books were written.

Long running British detective series "Vera" and "Shetland" are both based on books by Ann Cleeves and when they exhausted her books with her permission, they've continued writing episodes in very much the same style. "Vera" will soon roll out season 11. I assume the Cardinal production company and the author could not reach a similar result.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Unfortunately season 4 is not on Hulu…I didn’t know there was another season til I looked it up. Being from Michigan I’ve always enjoyed my time in Ontario so I tend to watch things based in or from Canada. I’ll check out the ones you mentioned. I find the shows I’m interested in lately take place outside the US.

Mandaliberal wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:26 am Unfortunately season 4 is not on Hulu…I didn’t know there was another season til I looked it up. Being from Michigan I’ve always enjoyed my time in Ontario so I tend to watch things based in or from Canada. I’ll check out the ones you mentioned. I find the shows I’m interested in lately take place outside the US.

I agree especially about police procedurals, the foreign series are much better than the US ones. "Vera" is mostly set in Northumberlandshire in far northeast England, a beautiful rural county facing the North Sea and bordering Scotland. "Shetland" is set in the Shetland Islands in the far north of Scotland, which are closer to Norway than London. "Beck" is another good and very long running Swedish police procedural. US police procedurals are obsessed with focusing on cops and their families and interactions with partners, solving crimes is a very small part of the drama not the focus. American mass produced trash.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote:
Mandaliberal wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:26 am Unfortunately season 4 is not on Hulu…I didn’t know there was another season til I looked it up. Being from Michigan I’ve always enjoyed my time in Ontario so I tend to watch things based in or from Canada. I’ll check out the ones you mentioned. I find the shows I’m interested in lately take place outside the US.

I agree especially about police procedurals, the foreign series are much better than the US ones. "Vera" is mostly set in Northumberlandshire in far northeast England, a beautiful rural county facing the North Sea and bordering Scotland. "Shetland" is set in the Shetland Islands in the far north of Scotland, which are closer to Norway than London. "Beck" is another good and very long running Swedish police procedural. US police procedurals are obsessed with focusing on cops and their families and interactions with partners, solving crimes is a very small part of the drama not the focus. American mass produced trash.
Yeah, I used to like some US shows but they’re so ridiculous now. I watched Luther & that was my first exposure to police shows outside the US. I watched Broadchurch which I enjoyed. Growing up I loved the show Quincy & I stumbled upon an Australian show that’s similar titled Harrow. Ioan Gruffudd plays the titular character. I will look for the ones you mentioned, thanks!

Mandaliberal wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:17 am
highdesert wrote:

Yeah, I used to like some US shows but they’re so ridiculous now. I watched Luther & that was my first exposure to police shows outside the US. I watched Broadchurch which I enjoyed. Growing up I loved the show Quincy & I stumbled upon an Australian show that’s similar titled Harrow. Ioan Gruffudd plays the titular character. I will look for the ones you mentioned, thanks!

"Harrow" is good, a bit too much family and office drama for my taste, but the setting in Brisbane is beautiful. Ioan Gruffudd (Owen Griffith) is a Welch actor best known for the "Hornblower" series.

A very long running British drama series now into it's 24th season is "Silent Witness" about forensic medical and scientific examiners. It's been running so many years that leads and supporting cast have changed a few times. Much better than Quincy or any similar US series that I can recall.

Britain has their fluffy American type cop show, "Midsomer Murders" that's been running for 20 some odd years. It's not a serious cop drama, people are murdered in many very odd ways and actors joke about how they were killed off.