Re: not really sure where to put this, so here will do.

Went swimming for the first time this season. Made my 1/4 mile, but every year I'm slower. Meanwhile, my 16 year old followed me, and he keeps getting faster! He also, for the first time was using alternate side breathing...and looked he'd always been doing it. Just a couple of years ago he couldn't keep up with me in either speed or distance...
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:04 am funny, i had a strong urge to check for spam when i woke up this morning. english, spanish, french and german. i saw this new member on the forum before i went to bed. it's like they wait for me to log out. but i'm not the only one watching for them.
Sounded "spammish" but I wasn't convinced.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:35 am
lurker wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:04 am funny, i had a strong urge to check for spam when i woke up this morning. english, spanish, french and german. i saw this new member on the forum before i went to bed. it's like they wait for me to log out. but i'm not the only one watching for them.
Sounded "spammish" but I wasn't convinced.
Detective Inspector lurker, always on duty protecting us from the baddies.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Totally relevant to nothing, I just had a Covid-19 scare.

2 nights ago I started feeling sick, chills, headache, dry throat, congestion, tired (more than usual).
Took yesterday to do nothing but paperwork and online bill paying.
Then today, lower GI symptoms appeared.

Despite the fact that I had my 2nd Moderna shot back in February, too many of the symptoms said "Covid".

So today I did a PCR test at my local CVS and bought and Ellume Covid-19 Home Test...takes 20 minutes.

It comes with an electronic sampler you connect to an app on your for, a swab, a test fluid that your pour into a special container, and a swab that seal into the container.
Not QUITE as unpleasant as the PCR swabbing--15 seconds in each nostril, not QUITE as deep and not as long. You then screw the swab into the container with the reagent fluid, flip open the top and put 5 drops in the electronic sampler and wait 15 minutes.
Best $40 bucks--thankfully, came up negative They claim a 96% accuracy for positive and 100% for negative (no false positives, few false negs).

Now in a day or two I'll get the PcR test result. But I think it's just some other virus running around and I'm already feeling better.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:35 pm Totally relevant to nothing, I just had a Covid-19 scare.

But I think it's just some other virus running around and I'm already feeling better.
Glad to read the last part!

I was in hospital for five days being treated for COVID-19 and related pneumonia. It's the longest I've been in a hospital in almost sixty years.

And my case was relatively mild--I never needed supplemental Oxygen!

I've never figured out how the virus got to me, unless it took a while to present symptoms after my CCDW workshop. The person "instructing" the workshop was the chief of a nearby small police department, and had a "denier" outlook on the virus, to the point that I reported the whole incident to the Health Department. The range staff was not wearing masks at all (this was late October of 2020, and mask protocols were still in force locally). Half of the people in the CCDW class were masked. My wife and I were double-masked...
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:10 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:35 pm Totally relevant to nothing, I just had a Covid-19 scare.

But I think it's just some other virus running around and I'm already feeling better.
Glad to read the last part!

I was in hospital for five days being treated for COVID-19 and related pneumonia. It's the longest I've been in a hospital in almost sixty years.

And my case was relatively mild--I never needed supplemental Oxygen!

I've never figured out how the virus got to me, unless it took a while to present symptoms after my CCDW workshop. The person "instructing" the workshop was the chief of a nearby small police department, and had a "denier" outlook on the virus, to the point that I reported the whole incident to the Health Department. The range staff was not wearing masks at all (this was late October of 2020, and mask protocols were still in force locally). Half of the people in the CCDW class were masked. My wife and I were double-masked...
Ouch! We didn't even START to lighten up until weeks after our 2nd dose. Until then it was N95 masks and gloves all the time, constant hand sanitizing and disinfecting anything and everything from outside the house. Never went to Home Depot, Lowes, supermarkets, etc. until recently. The only places we went were CVS/Walgreens, our bank, or certain doctors' offices, only as necessary. My wife had MRSA a year ago amidst the pandemic and it was 7 terrifying weeks ending with 3 weeks of PICC IV antibiotics so she's got a bit of a messed-up immune system still. Luckily, she never went to a hospital.

Still using Instacart. We have protocols for when we order Chinese food, pizza, or Italian food. EVERYTHING gets microwaved or in the oven. Containers that can't be microwaved get immediately trashed. We order pizza unsliced, then it goes in the oven till it's bubbling. For the longest time I made pizza rather than risk ordering it. Got pretty good but not QUITE there (We in New Jersey are VERY fussy about pizza, like our loud neighbors in New York City).

But there are still other viruses out there, even though flu cases, especially deaths, have dropped through the floor due to mask, social distancing, and hand-washing mandates. Still, I got something....and luckily it seems to be passing.

That's good news YT, there are viruses going around all the time. Breakthrough COVID cases exist but they're rare and are usually asymptomatic. These mRNA vaccines are much better than the annual flu ones which are only 40-60% effective, I hope the boosters are the same.

The unknown factor is what new variants will we face going into the Fall. Will vaccines be able to stay on top of the new variants as we try to vaccinate the rest of the world?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:48 pm That's good news YT, there are viruses going around all the time. Breakthrough COVID cases exist but they're rare and are usually asymptomatic. These mRNA vaccines are much better than the annual flu ones which are only 40-60% effective, I hope the boosters are the same.

The unknown factor is what new variants will we face going into the Fall. Will vaccines be able to stay on top of the new variants as we try to vaccinate the rest of the world?
Thanks, HD.

I keep saying the numbers are against us. The number of "individuals" (copies of the virus) in one year is thousands of times greater than all the individuals since we diverted from our chimp cousins over 6 million years ago.--septillions or even octillions of copies of the virus make mutations inevitable. That's why "Herd Immunity" without vaccination is inane. In Brazil, one city has a 76% infection rate and, Guess What? they "reared" a new strain!

Showing your age, the word proctology seems to have been banned in the medical community, I think it was the constant stream of jokes. Urologists seem to handle everything in the southern hemisphere including the proctological area. There are the gastroenterologists but they just handle the pipes.

highdesert wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:50 pm Showing your age, the word proctology seems to have been banned in the medical community, I think it was the constant stream of jokes. Urologists seem to handle everything in the southern hemisphere including the proctological area. There are the gastroenterologists but they just handle the pipes.
The correct medical title is spelunker.
This isn't going well, is it?

i'm just going to ramble here for a couple of minutes or so, y'all pay no mind.
i'm retired, been retired for several years now, and i'm having some trouble adjusting. used to be my time was regulated by school or job, the necessity to jam the fun stuff and sleep in around the edges of putting food on the table or preparing to put more/better food. but retirement... now i have to fill my day, find things to occupy idle hands and mind for the next undefined period of years. it's hell, i tell ya. do i go to the range (too hot/crowded) or the river (get the kayak on, off, on, off the roof of the jeep) or just nap a piece of what remains of my waning years away? and there's always playing with/working on poly. and the internet, here, FB, and the cheap bicycle forum, around and around. and single-player gaming, it's good to have a plan, something to look forward to.

so, plans. i play a lot of Oblivion. yes, a 15 year old single player first-person fantasy role-play game, yet another waste of a largely-frittered life. i must have played it 15 or 20 times, enough to actually understand some of the mechanics of the game, and i've decided that it's useful to plan your character, what you want for strengths and weaknesses, and a lot of that happens in the beginning, in character creation. since i don't like getting hurt, i favor stealth and ranged attacks, so thief is a good fit, plus it gives a 10% bonus to luck, which is the slowest attribute to advance. and i've found it useful to advance skills faster than level, (called under-leveling) so i'm always stronger/faster/smarter than the leveled monsters i encounter. so the Primary skills, the ones that determine my character level, are mostly the ones i use the least. i guess this makes me an underachiever, but in the long run, big bad nasty critters fall to one-hit backstabs. and anyway, the game usually locks up about level 38, maybe 230 hours in. i've never actually completed the main quest, and i'm ok with that. closing 50+ oblivion gates is tedious.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?