Teen Paralyzed After Friend Allegedly Shoots Him With New Gun By Accident

Jemil Evans, the Woburn teenager whose friend is accused of unintentionally shooting him while showing him a new gun Saturday, is now permanently paralyzed, according to his family.

According to a GoFundMe page set up Monday to raise funds for Evans, the 19-year-old man had returned to his hometown of Woburn after working and spending time with his dad in Maine, and he planned to see his mom and friends.

When Evans arrived at his friend’s home, the page detailed, one of his friends was excited to show him his new gun, as he just received his license to carry.

“This is the moment that tragically changed Jemil’s life forever,” the page said. “He was shot in the neck, and the bullet severed his C6 and other parts of his spinal cord.”

The teen will be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, according to the page, which had already raised more than $6,000 for the teenager’s medical costs, equipment and housing as of Tuesday morning. The fundraiser is an attempt to ensure Evans has the best quality of life possible as he starts his “new journey of recovery,” the page said.

Alec Augustino Braz is facing charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building and improper storage of a firearm in connection with the shooting in Woburn, according to the city’s police department.

The 22-year-old man, who recently received his license to carry a firearm, is accused of showing his new gun to friends inside a Mt. Pleasant Street home when it was unintentionally fired, striking Evans in the neck, Woburn Police Chief Robert Rufo said.

He was taken by a friend to an area hospital around 3:15 p.m. Saturday, and a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson pistol was seized by authorities, according to the police chief.

Investigators conducted interviews, and after their investigation, they arrested Braz and immediately suspending his license to carry, Rufo said.
https://www.masslive.com/police-fire/20 ... w-gun.html

I didn't know you could get a LTC in Massachusetts. I wonder if the owner had any classes in gun safety, especially the Four Rules of Gun Safety?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Teen Paralyzed After Friend Allegedly Shoots Him With New Gun By Accident

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:51 amI didn't know you could get a LTC in Massachusetts.
"LTC" is intentionally deceptive. It's a license to possess. There is no RKBA in MA. You can apply for an FID to own a non-frightening rifle or shotgun or an "LTC" to own anything else not banned. Your "LTC" might disallow carry and impose other restrictions. In Woburn, most get "sporting" restrictions by default. If you are unrestricted, you can carry, though I think a reduced-capacity mag is required if the handgun is designed to hold >10 rounds.
TrueTexan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:51 amI wonder if the owner had any classes in gun safety, especially the Four Rules of Gun Safety?
MA requires completing a course. Woburn requires a letter stating why you need to own a firearm, I guess. I've heard no mentions of Woburn requiring a letter from a doctor, though, as has happened in other towns.

ETA: Should have included that MA is may-issue.

The local media has been on this story all week, and the victim's family has been very outspoken. Allegedly, the victim is permanently paralyzed. So I suspect there will be an effort to enact a "Jemil's Law" to impose additional restrictions or at least dole out some punishment to existing firearm owners, who were not involved in this case of extreme negligence. Per MA law, the issuing authority, the chief, can deny a license based on arbitrary criteria not included in MA law, so I don't see him issuing any more licenses.

Last edited by DispositionMatrix on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Rule #1: ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded!
Rule #2: NEVER let the muzzle point at ANYTHING that you don't mean to destroy!
Rule #3: Keep your finger off the target until you're actually ready to shoot!
Rule #4: Be sure of your target, as well as what's behind it!

I hope the authorities throw the book at Alec Augustino Braz for this. He just destroyed that young man's life.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Bisbee wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:03 pm Kids like these are why we can’t have nice things.
W/O knowing the shooters situation, I think this shows AGAIN, that I think, my 'opinion', that it's way to easy to buy a gun. Can't fix stupid but 'some' training on how and when to clear a weapon and the 5 'rules'..maybe the shooter had some 'training' and he's just an idiot..YT is lousey with videos of people being stupid with a gun.

No idea, no answers...but...video of cop, looking at a gun in store..shoots himself in the hand..COP, GUN STORE . yeegads..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUonA66btgI

Cop sued the store...BUT, when I look at a gun in a gun store..if the clerk doesn't clear it, I do..and NEVER dry fire it w/o clearing and asking...

F4FEver wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 am
Bisbee wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:03 pm Kids like these are why we can’t have nice things.
W/O knowing the shooters situation, I think this shows AGAIN, that I think, my 'opinion', that it's way to easy to buy a gun. Can't fix stupid but 'some' training on how and when to clear a weapon and the 5 'rules'..maybe the shooter had some 'training' and he's just an idiot..YT is lousey with videos of people being stupid with a gun.

No idea, no answers...but...video of cop, looking at a gun in store..shoots himself in the hand..COP, GUN STORE . yeegads..

Cop sued the store...BUT, when I look at a gun in a gun store..if the clerk doesn't clear it, I do..and NEVER dry fire it w/o clearing and asking...
It is not easy to buy a handgun in Massachusetts, where this happened.

If we sell way lots of knives, more people get cut. Just numbers. What's important is to push the teaching of gun safety. These really sad negligent discharges are really sad. Two young lives ruined due to inattention. Lapses in attention happen, but I think a strong emphasis on the Four Rules in all grade, middle, and high schools would go a long way to reduce those sad numbers.

It's just education. Only from time to time are we forced to calculate the height of a hanging bag of full beer cans by measuring the length from the grass under the bag, to its shadow, then measuring the angle to the prize, and thereby calculate on our phones to determine the length of stick needed to untie the knot. Only from time to time are we called to do this, yet we learn the tools to do so.

And just a bit more often do we find inexperienced gun owners in front of peers handling weapons. It's just education. Or it should be, anyway.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:18 am If we sell way lots of knives, more people get cut. Just numbers. What's important is to push the teaching of gun safety. These really sad negligent discharges are really sad. Two young lives ruined due to inattention. Lapses in attention happen, but I think a strong emphasis on the Four Rules in all grade, middle, and high schools would go a long way to reduce those sad numbers.

It's just education. Only from time to time are we forced to calculate the height of a hanging bag of full beer cans by measuring the length from the grass under the bag, to its shadow, then measuring the angle to the prize, and thereby calculate on our phones to determine the length of stick needed to untie the knot. Only from time to time are we called to do this, yet we learn the tools to do so.

And just a bit more often do we find inexperienced gun owners in front of peers handling weapons. It's just education. Or it should be, anyway.

CDFingers
We can't even teach about racism and its effects. You think the schools are going to be allowed to teach about gun safety?
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:17 pm
CDFingers wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:18 am If we sell way lots of knives, more people get cut. Just numbers. What's important is to push the teaching of gun safety. These really sad negligent discharges are really sad. Two young lives ruined due to inattention. Lapses in attention happen, but I think a strong emphasis on the Four Rules in all grade, middle, and high schools would go a long way to reduce those sad numbers.

CDFingers
We can't even teach about racism and its effects. You think the schools are going to be allowed to teach about gun safety?

I'd love to see firearms safety taught in schools, we could prevent a lot of tragedies. Alas schools have become indoctrination centers for both sides and the neither side is going to give an inch. I could never see public schools in CA teaching firearms safety, they'll teach about the "evils of firearms" but not safety.

This incident was tragic for the victim and haunting for the gun owner.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

F4FEver wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:12 am

^^^THIS!^^^

I'd love to see firearms safety taught in schools, we could prevent a lot of tragedies. Alas schools have become indoctrination centers for both sides and the neither side is going to give an inch. I could never see public schools in CA teaching firearms safety, they'll teach about the "evils of firearms" but not safety.
I have an idea..how about a free test that you must pass before you can buy a gun? Works for a driver's license...

How about a REAL class and REAL test before you can have a concealed carry license? I have a CCWP and my 'class' was a 4 hour, $90 joke!! A 'NRA' certified 'instructor'...no surprise.

F4FEver wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 am
I have an idea..how about a free test that you must pass before you can buy a gun? Works for a driver's license...

How about a REAL class and REAL test before you can have a concealed carry license? I have a CCWP and my 'class' was a 4 hour, $90 joke!! A 'NRA' certified 'instructor'...no surprise.

We already have it in CA, it's called the Firearm's Safety Certificate. It hasn't reduced CA's murder rate, it's still about the same as TX which doesn't have a certificate requirement.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 am

We already have it in CA, it's called the Firearm's Safety Certificate. It hasn't reduced CA's murder rate, it's still about the same as TX which doesn't have a certificate requirement.
BUT has it reduced people being stupid with a gun? No way to tell, and no answers from me but today, all you need is a clean record and a CC# to buy a gun...Anybody bent on murder won't really fall back on any training before they kill the person..straw man example.

The 'rules' for firearm use are REALLY simple but I'll bet, wander into your local range and ask anybody there what they are...Of course the range ninjas/tacticool guys will get all sorts of pissed off but the 'average' shooter? Bet he doesn't know them.
Last edited by F4FEver on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

F4FEver wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:17 am
highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 am

BUT has it reduced people being stupid with a gun? No way to tell, and no answers from me but today, all you need is a clean record and a CC# to buy a gun...Anybody bent on murder won't really fall back on any training before they kill the person..straw man example.

The 'rules' for firearm use are REALY simple but I'll bet, wander into your local range and ask anybody there what they are...Of course the range ninjas/tacticool guys will get all sorts of pissed off but the 'average' shooter? Bet he doesn't know them.
I've been shooting at a public outdoor DNR range lately, and I'll say the average shooter doesn't know the four rules. Well, I shouldn't generalize, but the guy who I saw last Thursday didn't. Holding pistol by barrel with muzzle braced on sternum while trying to unjam the slide. I'm not kidding. He'd already been throwing around the N-word and bragging about being ex-military. I packed up...that outdoor range is nirvana when I'm there alone on a summer night. But when they show up like this...oh my.

F4FEver wrote:
I have an idea..how about a free test that you must pass before you can buy a gun?
Like the not-free test the perp mentioned in the first post had to take to get his license to possess a firearm, after attending MA Firearm School?
F4FEver wrote:Works for a driver's license...
"Works" is relative. There are hundreds of car accidents every day in the US. Also you're comparing _buying_ firearms to _driving_ cars. Carry would be more analogous to driving. Also, there is no explicit constitutional right to drive cars, or, more correctly, there is no constraint on government against interfering with one's ability to drive cars.
F4FEver wrote:How about a REAL class and REAL test before you can have a concealed carry license? I have a CCWP and my 'class' was a 4 hour, $90 joke!! A 'NRA' certified 'instructor'...no surprise.
As the arbiter of "REAL," how many hours would other people have to train to be granted a permission slip to bear arms?

You already can get as much training as you like. If you don't feel you deserve your permission slip to bear arms, you can take more classes.

sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Are we truly so trusting when shooting at public gun ranges? We tend to put it out of our minds that many people shooting right next to you are likely incompetent beginners or worse, Dunning Kruger types who think they are “operators”. It’s like riding a motorcycle on the freeway: you literally are putting your life in other people’s hands.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:15 pm Are we truly so trusting when shooting at public gun ranges? We tend to put it out of our minds that many people shooting right next to you are likely incompetent beginners or worse, Dunning Kruger types who think they are “operators”. It’s like riding a motorcycle on the freeway: you literally are putting your life in other people’s hands.
The indoor range I use has Kevlar panels between the lanes, so I feel OK there. The unsupervised outdoor public range, not so much.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Bisbee wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:15 pm Are we truly so trusting when shooting at public gun ranges? We tend to put it out of our minds that many people shooting right next to you are likely incompetent beginners or worse, Dunning Kruger types who think they are “operators”. It’s like riding a motorcycle on the freeway: you literally are putting your life in other people’s hands.
The indoor range I use has Kevlar panels between the lanes, so I feel OK there. The unsupervised outdoor public range, not so much.

CDFingers
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll stay if I'm alone. Otherwise read book.

F4FEver wrote:How about a REAL class and REAL test before you can have a concealed carry license? I have a CCWP and my 'class' was a 4 hour, $90 joke!! A 'NRA' certified 'instructor'...no surprise.
I had the class ad the written test along with an observed proficiency range test with live ammo and meet or exceed minimum score on the range to pass. That what you had to have in Texas to have a CHL till Sept. 1 when Abbott's stupidity takes over.

I equate Abbott's folly, to the idea you can buy a car and drive it anywhere in Texas without first leaning how to drive and taking the DPS driver license test to get a DL. DL will not be required to drive on Texas roads.

The same idiots, you see at the uncontrolled public ranges, are the ones that will be carrying guns in public without any training or education on guns.

Requiring a CHL to carry in public areas is not a violation of your rights. You can still buy all the guns you want if you pass the background check. you can wear or carry them all you want on your property. you can transport them in your car and even use them in your car for self defense, under the castle doctrine, you just can carry a hand gun concealed with out a CHL. You can carry rifles in public without a CHL. and open carry a C&R handgun in public areas where guns are not prohibited. But you can't drive a motor vehicle on a public road without a license and the vehicle has to be registered and licensed by the state.