My first build

I just finished installing the trigger, buffer and other lower parts on my first AR build. I’m not going to keep this upper — am currently looking for the right complete upper and BCG. Leaning toward a rifle in .224 Valkyrie or 6.5 Grendel.

I’ve found the process very straightforward and simple, albeit somewhat more expensive than I imagined. That said, I’m not wanting to skimp on the upper, barrel, and BCG.

Constructive feedback and recommendations welcomed.
https://imgur.com/a/YTn5DgA

Re: My first build

I have a 224 Valkyrie, I did some of the work and had a smith do the rest. There are still some changes that I would like to make. I still need to invest in a good scope. The Valkyrie can really extend the effective range of the AR platform.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Northern wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:50 pm
https://imgur.com/a/C5myVFG

Mostly done. I ended up with all Aero Precision components (except the Magpul stock) because that was what was available. Waiting to double check headspace and hopefully range time tomorrow. I put a 5x prism scope on it. That’s an 18”’ barrel. All in all, I spent way more time researching than assembling this.
Which gauges did you end up using? Mine are PTGs, but Forsters would have been fine and cheaper.

I see the M-LOK rail is Aero as well. Are you putting on irons in addition to glass?

The gauge brand is ShineUs. I don’t recommend them because they require the ejector to be removed from the bolt.

It’s interesting what you learn by assembling an AR. There are a few design features I appreciate but others I find annoying. I’m planning to disassemble the bolt today and check the headspace, and then looking forward to some range time later today if everything looks alright.

The handguard is one of the Aero offerings. It’s “enhanced,” along with the upper. Very rigid connection with the upper.

I picked up a box of Red Army Standard .223, which was the only thing I could get at one store here, and then realized I’d prefer to put nicer ammunition through it for its maiden voyage. Another store had Hornady Black, pretty much the other end of the spectrum.

I added a Vortex Spitfire HD ii 5x prism. I may add BUIS later but for now the prism will do. I had been using the prism on a Scorpion carbine that I have now decided to sell (due to redundancy with another PCC that I use more). Gotta make room in the safe.

I managed to disassemble the BCG and test the headspace, then proceeded to test fire the AR without blowing myself up. It’s surpassingly soft shooting, feels great to shoot. I’m already sure that I want to upgrade the trigger though LOL. Very happy with the build, and special thanks to @Dispositionmatrix for the extra encouragement and advice, this will have been the first of many future builds. Anyone hesitating to embark on the process: start soon!

Northern wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 pm I managed to disassemble the BCG and test the headspace, then proceeded to test fire the AR without blowing myself up. It’s surpassingly soft shooting, feels great to shoot. I’m already sure that I want to upgrade the trigger though LOL. Very happy with the build, and special thanks to @Dispositionmatrix for the extra encouragement and advice, this will have been the first of many future builds. Anyone hesitating to embark on the process: start soon!
I wonder if well-fitting modular handguards like the one you have ultimately will win out over monolithic uppers/rail combos. LMT has military contracts to help establish its monolithic upper, but that doesn't mean it's the best idea. It amounts to fewer parts and is lighter, though.

@dispositionmatrix I considered that by choosing the Aero “enhanced” upper, I was locking up my future choices with a proprietary component, but it’s true that if I had been able to find a monolithic upper like LMT, I would have gone with that and then switching out handguards wouldn’t be an option anyhow.