Ruger 10/22 Sunday Afternoon

A lot of outside work got done today. Beautiful weather, so when I was done I treated myself to an hour with my 10/22. I put the Tech Sights on it a while back and sat in the sun shooting. Spent a little time sighting it in. Then just worked on shooting from sitting position. Just sitting in the grass by myself slowly shooting. Great afternoon. I don't think anything is as relaxing as shooting 22lr.

Seriously, a 10/22 with nice iron sights and a box of Federal bulk cheapo at 25 meters. I love the basics.

I did the Liberty Training Rifle thing with my 10/22 hoping to do an Appleseed event. Haven't been able to yet, but it's my goal for 2021.

Re: Ruger 10/22 Sunday Afternoon

How old id your Cooper?

I had one when I was 12 years old and sold it. Picked up a new stainless all weather one two years ago. Now I got another old one I may fix up with a cool aftermarket stock since the wood is banged up.
Wish I could shoot in my back yard.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

wooglin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:28 pm Need to get me one of those Tech Sights. Which one are you using? Why did you pick it?
I installed the Tech Sights TSR100. Picked it for the simplicity. I am not very adept mechanically but this was a really easy installation. Very easy to adjust the sights, and there is no question this base model 10/22 with bulk ammo and Tech Sights is more accurate than I am. Accurate enough for squirrel hunting without a scope.

Oh yeah, don't forget to get the adjustment tool as well.

If you ever become dis-satisfied with the accuracy of your 10/22, there is a lot you can do about it.

The 10/22 is set up around shooting high speed ammo, which is usually in-accurate. Just about any standard velocity is accurate, but it is more expensive than high speed, and standard doesn't have enough Umph to reliably function most 10/22 rifles. I learned of a package of things you can do on another forum, Rimfire Central. What that forum suggested was, first, to have a gunsmith face off the last 0.200" of the barrel, and rechamber with a tighter reamer, one that had the bullet lightly engrave the rifling on chambering. Second, the face of the bolt machined such that headspace for the cartridge be close to minimum. Third, the bottom/rear of the bolt be radiused, such that less of the bolt's momentum be stolen by its cocking of the hammer. Fourth, a pin be run through the bolt just above the firing pin, to prevent the firing pin's occasionally kicking upwards, giving squirrelly ignition. Polishing the inside of the receiver and the recoil spring rod also seem to help. Groups at 50 yards, even with the original sights, are much better.

NuJudge wrote: If you ever become dis-satisfied with the accuracy of your 10/22, there is a lot you can do about it.
About the only accurizing on my 10/22 carbine is a suggestion from (either Hickock45 or GunBlue, don't recall which)... a few wraps of electricians tape around the barrel under the barrel band, tightens it up there. Also a $100 UTG bugbuster scope.

Yesterday, 25 yards, seated. 10 rounds CCI mini-mags and 10 rounds CCI subsonic. I hadn't shot it in a couple months, with practice this could be better, but it was a 1-1/4" group. I wouldn't mind a few diy tweaks to improve the rifle, but for how I use it, work on my breathing and hold (to pull in those two fliers on the lower left) will be a better investment than a gunsmith.