Re: Anyone watch the Prince Phillip funeral?

Only snips. I did like the green pickup instead of a hearse.
And the family sniping...Andrew, despite his disgrace, wanted to be able to be able to wear an Admiral's insignia. But they all were in black because only Harry wouldn't be in military uniform, and he served in battle in the Middle East. I know Andrew served in the Falklands War but I don't know if he saw combat.

And Anne's son, as the eldest grandchild, was between William and Harry.

Their family is as dysfunctional as any.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

It was rather subdued compared to other British ceremonies, but it's COVID. Philip planned the whole thing down to the music and which units participated and he preferred something simple including the Land Rover hearse. The military included contingents from Commonwealth countries. He served in the Royal Navy and held the honorary title of Lord High Admiral.

He was originally Prince Philip of Greece, the Greek royal family was Danish. Philip's sisters married German nobility and there were German princes in attendance at the funeral representing that side of his family.

Philip loved his guns and was known for his gaffes and expressing his opinions such as this one.
A gun is no more dangerous than a cricket bat in the hands of a madman.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:05 pm i have respect for elizabeth, and for will and harry's service, but the rest of them can take a flying leap. we had a revolution to get rid if that nonsense. privilege by accident of birth is contrary to the ideals america was founded on. we hold these truths to be self-evident.
Oh, if only that were true! Kochs, Mercers, Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Rockefellers, Bushes, Kennedys, Waltons, DeVoses, Pauls , Gaetz, Trumps, Fords, Frists, Cuomos, Steinbrenners, Hesses, Murdochs, and many more, that think, believe AND ARE TREATED as if they are special in a multitude of ways.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

1, 2, 3 generations later, blood money is still blood money.

yes, i admit, i benefited by the fact that my parents worked hard, used the GI bill to get ahead in life, saved their money, sent their kids to college and had some money left to bequeath when they died. not everyone can do that. to my knowledge, none of them nor their parents cheated anyone to get anything. i'm a little ashamed that i wasn't able to do better than them myself, but my dad did say at one point that he was proud of me, so i'll take that and try to be satisfied.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Today is Queen Elizabeth's birthday she is 95 years old, reports are that it will be subdued due to the morning period and COVID. Elizabeth and Philip were married for 73 years, that's something considering 3 of their 4 children are divorced. She is the longest lived and longest reigning monarch in British history, longer than Queen Victoria. Something to be said for someone who has done her job for 70 years without major scandal or drama.

The royals live under a magnifying glass, they can't express political or controversial opinions and if they do the press and politicians criticize them. After Philip's funeral one of the tabloids hired lip readers to see what Harry, William and Kate were talking about as they walked to the upper level of the castle.

Different country with a different system of government, though we share the same language and legal system.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:01 pm Today is Queen Elizabeth's birthday she is 95 years old, reports are that it will be subdued due to the morning period and COVID. Elizabeth and Philip were married for 73 years, that's something considering 3 of their 4 children are divorced. She is the longest lived and longest reigning monarch in British history, longer than Queen Victoria. Something to be said for someone who has done her job for 70 years without major scandal or drama.

The royals live under a magnifying glass, they can't express political or controversial opinions and if they do the press and politicians criticize them. After Philip's funeral one of the tabloids hired lip readers to see what Harry, William and Kate were talking about as they walked to the upper level of the castle.

Different country with a different system of government, though we share the same language and legal system.
OTOH, I believe she is the richest woman in world, worth many billions of pounds sterling because added to her personal wealth is the wealth of the entire royal family. Despite all the incentives to be a total spoiled snobbish bitch, Elizabeth seems to actually be, at heart, a rather nice lady who takes her duty as THE most important thing in her life, although it's not clear this has carried to her children with such intensity.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:11 pm
highdesert wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:01 pm Today is Queen Elizabeth's birthday she is 95 years old, reports are that it will be subdued due to the morning period and COVID. Elizabeth and Philip were married for 73 years, that's something considering 3 of their 4 children are divorced. She is the longest lived and longest reigning monarch in British history, longer than Queen Victoria. Something to be said for someone who has done her job for 70 years without major scandal or drama.

OTOH, I believe she is the richest woman in world, worth many billions of pounds sterling because added to her personal wealth is the wealth of the entire royal family. Despite all the incentives to be a total spoiled snobbish bitch, Elizabeth seems to actually be, at heart, a rather nice lady who takes her duty as THE most important thing in her life, although it's not clear this has carried to her children with such intensity.

Forbes estimates that the Queen's personal assets at $500 million, not close to the richest woman in the world who is the L'Oreal heiress at $73.6 billion.
Her Majesty’s $500 million in personal assets is thanks to her investments, art, jewels and real estate, including two castles: Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle. The bulk of that will pass down to Prince Charles when he finally ascends the throne. And like his mother, he won’t directly own most of that $28 billion, which includes the Queen’s personal wealth, the assets under the Crown Estate, its holdings in Scotland, the Duchy of Lancaster, the Duchy of Cornwall and two palaces: Buckingham and Kensington.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/denizcam/2 ... 75721d4598
https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielshapi ... 029da22bcc

Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace and even the crown jewels are owned by the British government, Sandringham House in Norfolk and Balmoral Castle near Aberdeen she owns. She may oversee Royal Peculiars such as Westminster Abbey and St George's Chapel, Windsor, but she doesn't own them. The Firm (royal family) can collect profits on things like the Crown Estate and the Duchy of Cornwall (Prince Charles is Duke of Cornwall), but they can't sell them. It's a rather byzantine system.

I'm not a royalist, just clarifying things.