Re: Around the BBQ

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:19 pmRonald Reagan was nearly killed with a .22, and three others, including James Brady, were badly injured.
Another way of stating this is an old man was shot in the heart with a .22, and he made jokes about it and didn't even know it had happened until he got to the hospital.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:26 am Here comes lurker with a bag full of brycos, ravens, and Jennings...
jealous, are we? ;)
(notice, not a single bryco or jennings or raven in the lot)
i was on a quest, a quest for the perfect pocket pistol. but while the bauer and frasier and galesi-brescia are good-quality handguns, and i very much like the feel of the phoenix (should have held out for the .25), that quest was ultimately a failure. even the cobra 380,
cobrargt.JPG
which fires a credible SD cartridge, is unsatisfactory. the cobra lives up to its name by slide-biting me.
snakebit.JPG
maybe spend more money on it for some better grips...
each and every one of them has issues. the bauer/frasier, while cute as bugs and oh-so-concealable, are so small as to be hard to control. the blued steel galesi-brescia is heavy, the phoenix is not especially high quality...
i think part of the problem is me. the .380 and its ilk are either too heavy or too light and snappy, and the .25s are anemic. maybe something in .32...
enough. i already have a bag full of these things, even tried old top-break revolvers. a gunsmith has offered to dispose of them :wavecry: by cutting them up. no, don't think so, thanks. :thumbdown:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Lurker - just buy a S&W body guard .380 or an LCP II and the quest for a “perfect pocket pistol “ is over.

I have a Kel-Tec -P3AT .380 & while it’s perfectly functional - the sights are no more than nubs. I shot my colleagues’ S&W body guard and I was convinced of its superiority... however mine cost $200 from CDNN & his $350. There was a time when I just needed a “good enough” pistol for carry during endurance athletics training and the keltec served in that role fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes carry my S&W 686 Plus 3 inch barrel. In a good holster easy carry.
Best BBQ is Texas of course. Right along with best Chili.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

lurker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 pm i know this is sacrilege, but i think i've bought my last gun. maybe i'll trade for one.
I understand and feel the same way especially since I haven't been to the range since the pandemic hit. Also getting to the age that I have enough already to enjoy shooting. If I get rid of any they will go to my son.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

lurker wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:40 pm pics, he wants pics
PIC25.JPGhp22l.jpgLUGO1852.JPG
I'm a big fan of the Pheonix Arms .22's. If there is a better "cheap" .22 pretty much ever, I'd like to see it. Every one I have ever handled worked just fine, and they shot pretty darned straight.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

I live in a very low crime area and I have migrated to pocket carry almost exclusively. Sometimes I carry my 1903 Colt .32 ACP just because its such a cool gun. But pretty much every day its a Ruger LCP .380 in my pocket. Which is today's analog to something like a Pocket Colt .25 ACP. If I had a Pocket Colt, I would probably carry it from time to time.

But somethin to keep in mind, the .25 is just horrible. It was a serious cartridge in the days before antibiotics where ANY penetrating trauma could be fatal due to infection. People back then knew that, and the mere presence of a firearm was usually sufficient. People who voluntarily stopped their action often after one shot, because they knew a second shot was pretty much a guarantee they're going to die of sepsis...and no one wants to die that way.

I had a cousin who was shot squarely in the chest (bullet stopped by the cartilage in his sternum), and then HE went to jail over how badly he beat the guy who shot him.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

lurker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 pm i know this is sacrilege, but i think i've bought my last gun. maybe i'll trade for one.
I'm in the same boat. Pretty recent entry into the shooting sport(actually re-entry after not having a gun for 20 some years)...buy, try, sell, trade and have finally settled on a 'mix' that I really like. Nothing really out there that appeals to me..
I have rifles(223/22lr), a shotgun, 2 'cowboy' guns(38/357, 22LR).. semi autos(range and carry guns)..add what my 2 grown sons have that I shoot all the time..I'm pretty set.

F4FEver wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:19 am
I'm in the same boat. Pretty recent entry into the shooting sport(actually re-entry after not having a gun for 20 some years)...buy, try, sell, trade and have finally settled on a 'mix' that I really like. Nothing really out there that appeals to me..
I have rifles(223/22lr), a shotgun, 2 'cowboy' guns(38/357, 22LR).. semi autos(range and carry guns)..add what my 2 grown sons have that I shoot all the time..I'm pretty set.
liar liar pants on fire! i disbelieve! no pics, didn't happen! ;)
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am
You mean that he has all those guns....or that he's done buying?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:00 pm
lurker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am
You mean that he has all those guns....or that he's done buying?
I guess I need to make a group 'shot' of them..