Re: Mars Landing Feb 18

Wow, what a video. And to think the first rovers we sent to Mars hit the surface and tumbled randomly on airbags. This sucker went down on a hover-craft with cameras rolling! Another Sci-Fi moment come to life... like watching SpaceX boosters land on their own feet.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Another Mars cam option.

Born in 1953 I totally remember the entire space program. So here I am with a baked potato and all the fixin's, a great beer, and live from Mars from my living room. Blows my mind. No way back in the day when watching Alan Shepard did I think I'd be sitting here now seeing this. Takes my breath away.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:21 pm Another Mars cam option.

Born in 1953 I totally remember the entire space program. So here I am with a baked potato and all the fixin's, a great beer, and live from Mars from my living room. Blows my mind. No way back in the day when watching Alan Shepard did I think I'd be sitting here now seeing this. Takes my breath away.

CDFingers
I didn't think about it that way, but it is pretty amazing!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Of all my years shooting all kinds of guns, and I've made around a dozen rifles, a few made to my personal body--my favorite gun is my Ruger Vaquero, a single action revolver in .45. I've shot a lot out of it, and it is the one I'm most accurate with.

So, I say that to sort of show my mindset. A single action revolver connected to live video in my living room, video from Mars. You really gotta engage a Master Tesseract with the fabric of quantum space-time to make that connection.

It happens in my brain. Imagine the phantasm it is for me, as I'm scrambling eggs, potatoes, and pink onions, then tossing in some Huy Fong garlic chili sauce. Standby while I go harpoon a seven-tentacled rosemary sprig out in the garden.

Nah. It's neat, though.

CDFingers

Actually looks like parts of Death Valley... Let’s start by sending Gaetz there. In a space suit. In summer.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

lurker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 pm
Bisbee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:27 pm Actually looks like parts of Death Valley
hush. it's the old viking trick, call iceland greenland, and greenland iceland. it's paradise, i tell ya, populated by scantily clad teenagers. there,behind that rock! see?
Suddenly the source of Elon Musk's fixation becomes clear.

wings wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:21 pm
lurker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 pm
Bisbee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:27 pm Actually looks like parts of Death Valley
hush. it's the old viking trick, call iceland greenland, and greenland iceland. it's paradise, i tell ya, populated by scantily clad teenagers. there,behind that rock! see?
Suddenly the source of Elon Musk's fixation becomes clear.

LOL I wouldn't be surprised, Musk is now number two on the Forbes billionaires list behind Jeff Bezos.

Bisbee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:27 pm Actually looks like parts of Death Valley...

I read that they did test a similar vehicle in the CA desert, after all the Jet Propulsion Lab is in Pasadena at Caltech and not far from a lot of desert.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

considering that
" The atmosphere of Mars is much thinner than Earth's. The average surface pressure is only about 610 pascals (0.088 psi) which is less than 1% of the Earth's value. ... The highest atmospheric density on Mars is equal to the density found 35 km (22 mi) above the Earth's surface."
i would expect the rotors would have to be huge on that thing for this to work. i was surprised they even tried this approach, but then i'm neither rocket scientist nor helicopter pilot.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:30 pm i see talking heads. any reason to think it can fly there?
Well, yeah. The atmosphere is pretty thin, so they made the craft really light, and they made the props pretty fat. They tested it in a chamber, so in theory it should fly and take pics. But light also means fragile in some ways. One crash and it's on its side with no way to get back up. So testing has to go slow and deliberate. Some software errors are being fixed and uploaded. The winds are gnarly and unpredictable. I really can't think of a more challenging little bit of kit, that helicopter. Looking forward to it flying. Or crashing. Film at some eleven.

CDFingers

That’s a pretty cool experiment. If they tested it in a chamber with thinner atmosphere they have a good reference for how that drone should behave on Mars. But yeah, it probably isn’t so crash worthy. Being so light, hopefully a strong wind doesn’t tip it over before they get it flying to test their design.

Damn, what time is that MDT?

Martian Daylight Time.

CONGRATULATIONS Ingenuity Team! History in the making. Another giant leap for Mankind!
20D64DD8-D450-4B0E-8686-DF34781520B0.jpeg
F6DCED60-E52D-4417-87D2-A4AE0270EE7C.jpeg